The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Hey Mark, I'm curious as to your opinion of Chris Squire of Yes. He was sort of a polarising bass player. I'm a fan, but not a fanatic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hey Mark, I'm curious as to your opinion of Chris Squire of Yes. He was sort of a polarising bass player. I'm a fan, but not a fanatic.

Loved his playing! Having said that, I never wanted to emulate him. Same with John Entwistle. Great talent! Killer chops. Didn't wanna be 'im. Personally, I worshiped at the altar of Geddy Lee. Learned all the songs back in the day. and could play them note-for-note. What pissed me off was that I could never capture his "tone".. I could get close but never mimic it. Then, one day it hit me.. What I was hearing was MY tone.

After making that realization, I focused more on developing my own voice on the instrument.

Loved his playing! Having said that, I never wanted to emulate him. Same with John Entwistle. Great talent! Killer chops. Didn't wanna be 'im. Personally, I worshiped at the altar of Geddy Lee. Learned all the songs back in the day. and could play them note-for-note. What pissed me off was that I could never capture his "tone".. I could get close but never mimic it. Then, one day it hit me.. What I was hearing was MY tone.

After making that realization, I focused more on developing my own voice on the instrument.
Cool! We definitely have similar influences. I'm left-handed, and made the decision early on to just learn to play a right-handed bass upside down, so I could pick up someone else's bass and play it, at a jam session or whatever. That means some parts are hard for me to play, and some things that are hard for right-handed players to pull off, I can do. It was a trade off. But I'm right there with you on Geddy Lee. My grail part is La Via Strangiato, but at one time I could actually pull off YYZ. That was one my band would pull out whenever someone would request Freebird. In East Tennessee, in the 80s, someone would always request Freebird. We were redneck snobs, so whenever we'd get a Freebird request, we'd do Rush. For some reason, Rush would always play Johnson City, TN, so I was blessed to see them probably 7-8 times in the small 7000 seat arena. I camped out to see them and always had great seats because it was general admission in those days. High points of my musical experience. I grew up, went to school, moved to Baltimore, and had a life. Then, 25 or so years later, I got to see them at Baltimore Arena. I was instantly transported back to my teen years. It was a peak experience I'll never forget.

And I'm with you on John Entwhistle. Amazing player. His plucking hand mystified me.

I was fortunate enough to see them several times. Unfortunately never past the Roll The Bones tour.. Work would always get in the way. Couldn't take off or I couldn't find anyone to cover for me, etc. I wanted to go see them on the farewell tour so badly. But they never came anywhere close unfortunately. My back & hip issues prevent me from excessively long car rides so I missed out. :cry:

16 July, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

Let's get things going with today's "Morning Music" segment. In a Bowie mood today so here's a couple from Heathen which which was his highest charting album since Tonight back in 1984.

Another cooling shave today. Gonna feel like 105° or higher again so I went with Phoenix Shaving's "Cold Spices". Nice menthol kick on its own but I amped it up with the "Ice Cube 2.0" preshave soap. Frosty goodness!! Finished with a splash of the matching aftershave and a spritz of Stirling's "Stirling Spice" EdT.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Cold Spices" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" / 1968 Gillette Slim / Gillette Nacet
Alum / PAA "Cold Spices" Aftershave Splash / Stirling Soap Co. "Stirling Spice EdT

IMG-3982.jpg

The only thing worse than have too few choices is having too many... Because of that, I'll soon be posting a massive soap / splash / soap & splash set giveaway. All I'd ask is that you pay for shipping via USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Shipping (starting at $8.30).

Keep an eye on the PIF / Giveaway forum.. I'll have to get everything together, take pics, etc. so it may take a while.

Good ol Bowie! Surprising to say, my first cognizant introduction to him was from The Dark Crystal movie of all things :ROFLMAO:

Love some of his music, though it’s a mystery to me how he got so popular...but that’s not unlike a good chunk of 80s stars...if it weren’t for the time period, they’d have lived in obscurity; they’re a bunch of weirdos:ROFLMAO:

Good ol Bowie! Surprising to say, my first cognizant introduction to him was from The Dark Crystal movie of all things :ROFLMAO:

Love some of his music, though it’s a mystery to me how he got so popular...but that’s not unlike a good chunk of 80s stars...if it weren’t for the time period, they’d have lived in obscurity; they’re a bunch of weirdos:ROFLMAO:
Hey! Don't go throwin' shade on Bowie! 😠

Good ol Bowie! Surprising to say, my first cognizant introduction to him was from The Dark Crystal movie of all things [emoji23]

Love some of his music, though it’s a mystery to me how he got so popular...but that’s not unlike a good chunk of 80s stars...if it weren’t for the time period, they’d have lived in obscurity; they’re a bunch of weirdos[emoji23]
Bowie actually achieved his game in the early 70s in the FM Album Rock format, but hit the Pop Charts and superstardom in the 80s with the release of the single and video for Let's Dance. By that time, he already had a Greatest Hits album. I'm a fan, but my ex is a fanatic. She introduced me to his earlier more inaccessible stuff.

17 July, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

Hope you had a pleasant night. Relatively cooler here today.. Heat index of only around 100°. I wanted warmer weather but this is a little too warm. 🥵

It's "Fusion Friday" here at WMRK Internet Radio and I wanted to feature a band I discovered way back in the 80's. The band is Gamalon and their eponymous debut came out in 1987. Great album but the mix suffers from "Bass Bias", as much of music suffered from back then; all high end, very little bass in the mix. The released several albums but never had success. Shame too. They were a great band. So from the album Gamalon, here is "Billy's Saloon" & "Cabin #14"

Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today! Loving the "Chill Mill" from Phoenix Shaving. Makes any soap you want mentholated! Nice thing to have if you're a "Menth Head" or on scorchers like today.

Hope you have a great day.

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Good Vibrations" Shave Soap / Techichi Tech Hive Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / PAA "Good Vibrations" Aftershave & Solid Cologne

IMG-3988.jpg

Nice jams. That’s something I miss in modern music in general - instrumental/non-vocal jams. Sometimes you just need the atmosphere of music without lyrics.

Gamalon, cool, that intro reminds me a bit of Rush 2012, then the fusion hits. :)

Did you try any other Rogue Perfumery samples? I think I'm going to have to reorder some samples, I've been searching all over for some fougeres that are worth a darn.

Gamalon, cool, that intro reminds me a bit of Rush 2012, then the fusion hits. :)

Did you try any other Rogue Perfumery samples? I think I'm going to have to reorder some samples, I've been searching all over for some fougeres that are worth a darn.
No that was the only one from Rogue. Others I ordered were Houbigant - Fougere Royale and Tom Ford - Fougere Platine. Haven't given those a serious trial run yet.

20 July, 2020

Good morning all! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

Let's get things kicked off right this Monday morning with today's "Morning Music" installment. How about some Latin Jazz to get you day kicked off. From his album Triangulo, here is pianist Michel Camilo with "Piece of Cake" & "La Comparsa". Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today! Gotta say, that "Chill Mill" from Phoenix Shaving is one of the best shaving-related purchases I've ever made. Hope everyone has a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Barrister's Reserve "Spice" Shave Soap / Techichi Tech Hive Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Barrister's Reserve "Spice" Aftershave Splash / P&G "Old Spice" EdC

IMG-4014.jpg

Cool! We definitely have similar influences. I'm left-handed, and made the decision early on to just learn to play a right-handed bass upside down, so I could pick up someone else's bass and play it, at a jam session or whatever. That means some parts are hard for me to play, and some things that are hard for right-handed players to pull off, I can do. It was a trade off. But I'm right there with you on Geddy Lee. My grail part is La Via Strangiato, but at one time I could actually pull off YYZ. That was one my band would pull out whenever someone would request Freebird. In East Tennessee, in the 80s, someone would always request Freebird. We were redneck snobs, so whenever we'd get a Freebird request, we'd do Rush. For some reason, Rush would always play Johnson City, TN, so I was blessed to see them probably 7-8 times in the small 7000 seat arena. I camped out to see them and always had great seats because it was general admission in those days. High points of my musical experience. I grew up, went to school, moved to Baltimore, and had a life. Then, 25 or so years later, I got to see them at Baltimore Arena. I was instantly transported back to my teen years. It was a peak experience I'll never forget.

Being a Canadian kid from Toronto that brought a smile to my face...we'd just play Freebird! For fear Geddy was IN the building! LOL. The things we take for granted...my fav shows watching Rush.

Back