The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

9 July, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

Got no real ideas / theme for today's "Morning Music" segment so I'm just going with a couple of totally random songs that I like.

First up.. Michael McDonald's hit "I Keep Forgettin'" mainly for Louis Johnson's SUPER FUNKY bass line!

Next let's go with Steely Dan's "Josie" mainly for Chuck Rainey's SUPER FUNKY bass line!

Passable shave today. Need to change out the blade for tomorrow. But my coffee came out great so the morning's not a total loss. Hope everyone has a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / B&M "Seville" Shave Soap / Yaqi / 1968 Gillette Slim / Gillette Silver Blue
Alum / B&M "Seville" Aftershave Splash / Penhaligon's "Sartorial" EdT Sample

IMG-3952.jpg

I saw in the brush thread this Yaqi was nicknamed the “Balrog”, is that it’s official name or one you gave?

I saw in the brush thread this Yaqi was nicknamed the “Balrog”, is that it’s official name or one you gave?
I named it.. WCS's site, from where I ordered it, calls it "Yaqi Mixed Red Handle Tuxedo Synthetic Shaving Brush... "The Balrog" sounds cooler.. 😁

Two superb music choices today! Michael McDonald gets a lot of grief in some quarters, but he's had some great solo work, his Doobies stuff is just super- groovy, and his backing vocals for Steely Dan are masterpieces of close harmonies that really stagger me. And anything from Aja is a promo choice. Aja is the album I'd take with me to a desert island, if I could only take one. Yes, it's my all-time favorite album. They're my all-time favorite "band." Thanks for making my day start off right!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Two superb music choices today! Michael McDonald gets a lot of grief in some quarters, but he's had some great solo work, his Doobies stuff is just super- groovy, and his backing vocals for Steely Dan are masterpieces of close harmonies that really stagger me. And anything from Aja is a promo choice. Aja is the album I'd take with me to a desert island, if I could only take one. Yes, it's my all-time favorite album. They're my all-time favorite "band." Thanks for making my day start off right!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks!! Yeah, Aja is in my Top 3 all-time fave albums!

10 July, 2020

Good morning all!

Well... This day could have started off better.. I somehow turned off my alarm clock last night and over slept this morning. I know it was on because I always check it before I go to bed. Guess I'm going to have to start putting it farther out of reach. Anyway.. Wake up.. Panic.. Hit the shower.. No time to shave.. Coffee and out the door... Whew!

Maybe an evening shave will be in order of maybe I'll just wait until tomorrow and have a extra special shave!

But there's ALWAYS time for music.. Despite the rough start, it's Friday! So lets get busy!

Have a great day everyone!!

13 July, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

Hope you had a pleasant weekend. Mine was, in a word, "busy". Glad it's Monday so I can come to work and get a break! LOL! 😄

Let's ease into Monday with a couple of cuts from The Rippingtons. First up, from their Curves Ahead album, here's "Snowbound" & "Miles Away".

Hope you has a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Garden of Bali" Shave Soap / PAA "The Solar Flare" Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Vintage Avon "Tai Winds" Splash & Cologne

IMG-3958.jpg

Take a cat nap or two in the office...we won’t tell! ;)
optimized-sleep-at-work-fall-from-chair.gif

14 July, 2020

Good morning all!

Need something to pick me up this morning.. Got the coffee.. Need some good tunes! Let's jump in the ol' "Way Back" machine for some good ol' Rock & Roll from one of my all-time favorite groups!

Gotta love that sax!! 🎷

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Fine "American Blend" Shave Soap / Maggard Razors Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Fine "American Blend" Aftershave Balm . Fine "American Blend" EdT

IMG-3967.jpg

15 July, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

We're coming up on the birthday of one of my favorite bassists / musicians / composers. Hard to narrow it down to just one because the guy was so prolific. Mick Karn was one of the greatest and most unique voices of the instrument. He approached the bass more like an artist wielding paint and brush, producing elaborate, dense and hauntingly beautiful tapestries of sound. And every time I listen to him it makes me want to stop whatever it is I'm doing and go practice. In September 2010 he was diagnosed with advanced stage cancer and passed away in January of 2011. So for today's installment of WMRK's "Morning Music", I want to feature a couple of his compositions.

Great shave today! Needed the frosty feel of menthol today. Heat indices for the next three days will be between 105° & 110°! Hope you have a great day

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Stirling "Margaritas In The Arctic" Shave Soap / Stirling "Kong" Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Stirling "Margaritas In The Arctic" After Shave Splash / CK One EdT

IMG-3972.jpg

Back