The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

11 June, 2020

Good morning everyone!

For today's "Morning Music", I thought I choose some something a little uplifting... A lot of bad going on in the world at the moment and sometimes it can feel overwhelming. Sometimes it's good to unplug, log off and escape for a while. So today's song is...

Hope everyone has a great day!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Irish Springs" Shave Soap / PAA "The Solar Flare" Brush / 1961 Gillette Fat Boy / Gillette 7 O'Clock Platinum
Alum / PAA "Irish Springs" Aftershave Splash / Penhaligon's "English Fern" EdT & Powder

IMG-3713.jpg

If I'm recalling correctly, that song was from the album "Paradise Theater," which featured a wild laser etched sort of art deco engraving on side two. If I continue to recall correctly, it also featured the song, "Snowblind," which, the fundamentalist preachers of East Tennessee claimed, contained a secret satanic message you could hear if you ran the record backwards. "Backwards Masking" was very big with the fundamentalist Baptists in the area where I grew up. Led Zeppelin, Styx, Blue Oyster Cult and many others were accused of doing it. Of course, me and my friends hunted down these records and played them backwards just to see if we could hear it. All I heard was backwards gibberish. It was disappointing, but in retrospect, checking out those recordings was the beginning of my deep skepticism of the claims of fundamentalist preachers. Sorry for derailing your journal, but The Best Of Times really transported me back to a crazy time in my life that I hadn't thought about in 35 years or so!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If I'm recalling correctly, that song was from the album "Paradise Theater," which featured a wild laser etched sort of art deco engraving on side two. If I continue to recall correctly, it also featured the song, "Snowblind," which, the fundamentalist preachers of East Tennessee claimed, contained a secret satanic message you could hear if you ran the record backwards. "Backwards Masking" was very big with the fundamentalist Baptists in the area where I grew up. Led Zeppelin, Styx, Blue Oyster Cult and many others were accused of doing it. Of course, me and my friends hunted down these records and played them backwards just to see if we could hear it. All I heard was backwards gibberish. It was disappointing, but in retrospect, checking out those recordings was the beginning of my deep skepticism of the claims of fundamentalist preachers. Sorry for derailing your journal, but The Best Of Times really transported me back to a crazy time in my life that I hadn't thought about in 35 years or so!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I remember that back-masking crap.. Part of the whole "Satanic Panic" of the time...

12 June, 2020

Good morning all! TGIF!!! I'm on-call this week though so no real plans for the weekend. A shame too because it's supposed to be beautiful here!

For this Friday edition of WMRK's "Morning Music" I wanted to go with something epic! Boston's "Foreplay / Long Time" certainly fits the bill! The song is featured on the album, "Boston" which is (rightfully) considered to be one of the greatest albums of all time and most of which was recorded by guitarist / inventor / engineer / mad scientist; Tom Scholz in his basement! Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning! The Italian Barber "Amici" shave soap smelled fantastic and provided a nice, slick, cushioning base. Finished with the matching splash and finally, a spritz of YSL's "Rive Gauche".

Hope everyone has a great day!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / Italian Barber "Amici" Shave Soap / RazoRock 400 Synth / 1961 Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black / Alum / Italian Barber "Amici" Aftershave Splash / Rive Gauche Pour Homme

IMG-3725.jpg

Last edited:
Journal contribution: Rive Gauche, yum! I hope to be able to sample the vintage at some point. Till then, I’m perfectly happy with Fine AB.

Musical contribution:

Back