The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Very nice music, though when driving I like something more lively. This would have me so relaxed I might drive right off the road!

15 June, 2020

Hope everyone;s having a great day!

Getting your Monday kicked off here at WMRK Internet Radio some tasty fusion the Protocol way! So, from the album "Protocol 4", here's Simon Phillips, Greg Howe, Ernest Tibbs & Dennis Hamm with "Pentangle" & "Phantom Voyage".

New soap day! Phoenix Shaving just dropped a new scent based on Irisch Moos. Having used the original, I have to say, they got it pretty close. Passable at least. Stellar performance with the CK-6 base. Nice, smooth, comfortable DFS for my Monday!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Doppelganger Tri-Color (Irisch Moos)" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" Brush / 1961 Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette 7 O'clock Platinum / Alum / PAA "Doppelganger Tri-Color (Irisch Moos)" Aftershave Splash / Polo Modern Reserve

View attachment 27151

I was going to take my son to see Protocol at The Iridium in NYC. Then Covid happened. I really want to see Simon Phillips as I've never seen him play before. Yet I've been listening to him for decades ever since I heard him playing on Jeff Beck's There and Back. I'm hoping they can reschedule Protocol. I'd also check him out with Hiromi.

17 June, 2020

Good morning all! Hope everyone had a pleasant night.

First things first... Have a good one for you all today on WMRK's "Morning Music".. Let head to "Hitsville USA"!!! Here's Jr. Walker & The All Stars & The Temptations!!!

Back to the "June Shave Theme" shave this morning. Went with LNHC Barber Shoppe today. Again, I find it interesting how differently the category of "Barber Shop" scents is interpreted.. Smells great, but not a Barber Shop scent IMY. Great comfortable shave though.. Finished with Stirling's "Barbershop" splash & EdT.

Thanks for reading and hope you have a great day!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / LNHC "Barber Shoppe" Shave Soap / Techichi Tech Hive Brush / 1961 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Barbershop" Aftershave Splash & EdT

IMG-3771.jpg

There's really no such thing as a barbershop scent. They vary so widely. I think it's more of an idea, something the invokes the memory of a barbershop. Pinaud Clubman is number one for me because that's what I grew up smelling in barbershops back home; Clubman talc lined the counters of every single barber. Others grew up smelling bay rum. It's really an interesting "genre" of scents.

I'm assuming it's the incomparable James Jamerson on the Temptations track. When I was living in Philly playing in a band, I lived with our bass player. He would practice Jamerson tracks for hours on end. Ever since, when I hear a Motown track, it's the bass I focus on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There's really no such thing as a barbershop scent. They vary so widely. I think it's more of an idea, something the invokes the memory of a barbershop. Pinaud Clubman is number one for me because that's what I grew up smelling in barbershops back home; Clubman talc lined the counters of every single barber. Others grew up smelling bay rum. It's really an interesting "genre" of scents.
Agreed. I'm with you in the Clubman = Barbershop camp. I also grew up going to barbershops which had the splash and talc on the back bar.

I'm assuming it's the incomparable James Jamerson on the Temptations track. When I was living in Philly playing in a band, I lived with our bass player. He would practice Jamerson tracks for hours on end. Ever since, when I hear a Motown track, it's the bass I focus on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
You are correct! That cat could make anything swing!! He was definitely a singular voice on the instrument.. Inimitable!

Glad to come upon this topic.

From what I can remember from the 1st barbershop my dad took me too. They used Pinaud Clubman. Back then (4yrs old or so) I thought that was the best scent ever!! 😆

Then when I moved about 7yrs later I noticed that my barber didn't use aftershave. But he would dust the back of your neck with Clubman talc. Liked it, but still like the splash better.

So while there are many takes on barbershop scent. Pinaud Clubman is what always first comes to mind for me.

The 1st time I smelled LNHC Barbershop it reminded me of my parents friends house back in the late 80's. I'm not sure what that scent was or who made this scent back then. But their bathroom smelled just like it? It lingered outside if the door was open too. Anyway I liked it, thought it was a classy sent and always wondered if I would ever smell it again?

I never go to a modern barbershop or hair stylist. So it wasn't what I was expecting when I opened the tub of LNHC'S barbershop. But I'm glad to have found this scent profile again. Plus it's a good quality shave soap.

While I haven't read through all the pages of your journal Mark. I enjoy the pic's and hearing your thoughts on your shave gear combos.

Glad to come upon this topic.

From what I can remember from the 1st barbershop my dad took me too. They used Pinaud Clubman. Back then (4yrs old or so) I thought that was the best scent ever!! 😆

Then when I moved about 7yrs later I noticed that my barber didn't use aftershave. But he would dust the back of your neck with Clubman talc. Liked it, but still like the splash better.

So while there are many takes on barbershop scent. Pinaud Clubman is what always first comes to mind for me.

The 1st time I smelled LNHC Barbershop it reminded me of my parents friends house back in the late 80's. I'm not sure what that scent was or who made this scent back then. But their bathroom smelled just like it? It lingered outside if the door was open too. Anyway I liked it, thought it was a classy sent and always wondered if I would ever smell it again?

I never go to a modern barbershop or hair stylist. So it wasn't what I was expecting when I opened the tub of LNHC'S barbershop. But I'm glad to have found this scent profile again. Plus it's a good quality shave soap.
Bay Rum is another I consider a "Barber Shop" scent. It was used at the old place my dad took me to as well. Another thing that is a Barber Shop scent to me is Clubman Eau de Quinine hair tonic. That stuff will take you back as well! I have a bottle here and use it every day.

yhst-16274294850213_2220_2148613__70861.1344354229.jpg

Bay Rum is another I consider a "Barber Shop" scent. It was used at the old place my dad took me to as well. Another thing that is a Barber Shop scent to me is Clubman Eau de Quinine hair tonic. That stuff will take you back as well! I have a bottle here and use it every day.

View attachment 27394

Just before I moved across town. The barber I was going to always used bay rum. I think it was Stephen's bay rum.

Now I just get a clipper cut at the local beauty school. The place has an older barbershop vibe to it. No aftershave or talc used there. But I can get my head shaved for $7. Give them a $2 tip and they are very appreciative.

Next store they have a beauty salon. Can get a pedicure for $15. Usually takes them about 50min or so. Feel pretty good after sitting in the messaging chair for that long. The pedi is just a nice extra.

I think you've nailed it, Ben. For me, I love all barbershop scents; they just smell good IMO.

Your musical tastes run the gamut, Mark. Not surprising, being that you're a musician.

18 June, 2020

Good morning all!

Well the request lines are blowing up this morning here at WMRK Internet Radio! Listener Dave is kicking off his weekend early and needs some real good / feel good music! So here's hoping Dave's three-day weekend is off the chain! And to help get it kicked off right, here's the Funk-Meisters themselves Parliament Funkadelic!! Where were you when the Mothership landed???

Outstanding shave this morning!! I'm gonna have to reorder some of the Island Man splash soon!! Hope everyone has a great day!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / Stirling Soap Co. "Island Man" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. "Kong" Brush / 1961 Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Island Man" & EdT

IMG-3777.jpg

Back