The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Great shave scent choices today! Love Deep Woods!

The Peanuts sound is unmistakable! still make my kids watch some of the movies once in a while :ROFLMAO:

8 June, 2020

Good morning all!! Hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was.... busy. Still, the wifey and I had a great time. Did pick up a new fridge! Wont be delivered until the 22nd. We're keeping the old to use as secondary cold storage for essentials like.... beer. 🍺😁

For today's edition of WMRK's "Morning Music" segment, I wanted to feature some jazz but couldn't decide on what. Then I began to think about how long I had been listening to this genre of music and like a lot of people, my first exposure to jazz was from watching Charlie Brown cartoons as a kid. Then it hit me! Back in 1989 GRP Records released an album featuring various artists on its label for the 40th anniversary of the Peanuts comic strip. And so, to help you ease into your Monday morning, here's Chick Corea's Akoustic* Band from the "Happy Anniversary Charlie Brown" album with "The Great Pumpkin Waltz".

Hope everyone has a great day!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / CBL Premium Tallow "Sir Fougere" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" / 1961 Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Avon "Deep Woods" Aftershave Splash / Avon "Deep Woods" EdC

View attachment 26469

*No a typo.. That's how they spell it.
Thanks for the Chick Corea. You first exposure to jazz was through Charlie Brown cartoons! BTW, Charles Schultz lived in Santa Rosa, California, not too far away from where I grew up and spent most of my life. Whenever I got the chance to talk with people from Santa Rosa, a small town back then, I always asked them whether they knew Charles Schultz. I was told by a couple of people that Schultz was very accessible to the children in his neighborhood. I suspect that is where he got some of his comic strip ideas. Great combination with Chick Corea.

Last edited:
9 June, 2020

Good morning all!

In a Zappa mood this morning and can think of nothing better for today's installment of WMRK's "Morning Music" than Zappa's epic "The Grand Wazoo"! Enjoy!!

Continuing to observe the June shave theme, today's shave brought to you by Stirling Soap Co.

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / Stirling Soap Co. "Lime" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. "Kong" Synth / 1961 Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Lime" Aftershave Splash / Pinaud "Citrus Musk" EdC

IMG-3687.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-3687.jpg
    IMG-3687.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 2
Well, that was my first exposure to Zappa
You have a whole world of Zappa awaiting you. It's genius, but some of it is definitely not for the faint of heart! He did well over 50 albums, and some of them are masterworks. I'm a big fan of the three-volume Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti, both of which are firmly in the "could be gravely offensive" category, but the musicianship is unsurpassed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You have a whole world of Zappa awaiting you. It's genius, but some of it is definitely not for the faint of heart! He did well over 50 albums, and some of them are masterworks. I'm a big fan of the three-volume Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti, both of which are firmly in the "could be gravely offensive" category, but the musicianship is unsurpassed.

Also good suggestions! Yeah, Zappa wasn't afraid to offend and nothing and no one was safe from his poison pen!

Zappa is an acquired taste. I think my first exposure to him was either Overnight Sensation or Apostrophe, or both. That was all it took. I was hooked. While the humor and sharp whit are what draws some people, for me it's always been the band, the players and the writing for the band at the time. It's always been about the musicianship and writing for me. I've really liked everything I've heard from Freak Out all the way through to the Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar albums. But there are some albums released after those that I really liked such as Guitar and Jazz From Hell and Broadway The Hard Way. As for appreciating his stuff, sometimes it just means being in the rigth frame of mind when listening.

Zappa is an acquired taste. I think my first exposure to him was either Overnight Sensation or Apostrophe, or both. That was all it took. I was hooked. While the humor and sharp whit are what draws some people, for me it's always been the band, the players and the writing for the band at the time. It's always been about the musicianship and writing for me. I've really liked everything I've heard from Freak Out all the way through to the Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar albums. But there are some albums released after those that I really liked such as Guitar and Jazz From Hell and Broadway The Hard Way. As for appreciating his stuff, sometimes it just means being in the rigth frame of mind when listening.
Agreed! Apostrophe was what got me into him but what really pushed me over the edge was "One Size Fits All".

I approached some local musicians once and proposed and one-night-only / one-off Zappa tribute show.. They were all for it and we exchanged some ideas but it fell apart when I insisted that we had to put "The Black Page #2" on the set list.

I think I may have overreached. 😁

Agreed! Apostrophe was what got me into him but what really pushed me over the edge was "One Size Fits All".

My absolute favorite albums are Overnight Sensation, Apostrophe, One Size Fits All, Roxy and Elsewhere and Bongo Fury. Pretty much a toss up for me. Too difficult to choose. Also, as a drummer whoever sat in the drum chair had a big impact on my interest in the music of the time. I'd say Vinnie was his most technically adept drummer of all time. Bozzio his most theatrical but he had some insanely monster chops. The footage they captured of him playing drums in the Baby Snakes movie is just stupendous. Chester Thompson is just an animal. I mean, the guy went on to play with Genesis, Weather Report. Not only did he play with those two bands but he ended up playing on some of my favorite albums of theirs. Seconds Out and Black Market are phenomenal albums. And who doesn't love Ralph Humphrey's playing on Overnight Sensation, Roxy, etc.? And I think bringing on George Duke opened so many avenues up for Frank that would not have been there if not for Duke. I'd say Duke is one of my all time favorite musiciains period. But there is one guy I think doesn't get enough credit for his playing. A drummer. Anyone who knows the movie soundtrack for 200 Motels knows I'm referring to Aynsley Dunbar. He was so fluid and smooth and could rock with the best of them. It's because of him that I love going back to that stuff. Interestingly, although Chad Wakerman is a great player, a solid technician and occupied Frank's drum chair longer than any other drummer, I am not the biggest fan of that era of FZ. I don't dislike it. But if I'm listening to some Zappa, it's usually not from his tenure. At some point I'll have to go back and listen to the stuff post Colaiuta. And the stuff on the Joe's Garage albums has to be mentioned. Maybe those belong up there with my favorites too. I was in my late teens when those albums came out and I instantly became a huge Vinnie fan. As the years went by I would seek out any album Vinnie played on and get it. Didn't matter who it was. Tom Scott. Joni Mitchell. Gino Vanelli. Barry Finnerty. Anyway. You can't mention Zappa and not get an opus from me.

So many great albums and artists mentioned here - I can't add anything really except I think I'll break out some of these albums tomorrow, throw on some headphones, and spend the afternoon listening to some of these masterworks.

10 June, 2020

Good morning all!

So the band is resuming rehearsals this week although we don't have any shows on the horizon. But we're adding new material in the set list and anyone who plays in a band knows that you can learn anything on your own, but group rehearsal is needed to tighten everything up and to work out any kinks. We've decided to add more classic rock to our repertoire and two songs by The Doobie Brothers we chosen; China Grove & Listen to the Music. We're gonna work up both and see which one is better, tighter, etc. If they both end up sounding good we'll keep both.

In past shows we've done "spot songs"; songs that aren't on the set list or even considered adding. But someone in the crowd will request it and we'll look at each other and if we feel comfortable typically we'll say "What the Hell" and go for it. This happened with Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way. Our lead guitarist sang and killed it. He has the talk box and everything. Crowd went nuts so that's another one we've added.

So for today's installment of WMRK's "Morning Music", let's "Listen to the Music" the "Rocky Mountain Way"!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Black Bot" Shave Soap / PAA "The Starcraft" Brush / 1961 Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette 7 O'clock Platinum / Alum / Brut Splash On / Brut "Special Reserve" EdC

IMG-3705.jpg

Back