The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

7 June, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Closing out the workweek with a couple from prog juggernaut, TOOL. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Has been a while since I last used "da Fat" so I remedied that this morning. Wonderful subtle soapy scent and superb lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Kokopelli" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer and I finished with vintage Pinaud "Clubman" aftershave lotion & Dana "Canoe" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Busy day yesterday. Took off work to get some things done. Took a MAJOR step in getting ready financially for retirement. Too much to go into but I'm very excited!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap / WWBW "Kokopelli" Badger Brush / RazoRock Game Changer
Alum / Pinaud "Clubman" Aftershave Lotion / Dana "Canoe" EdT

IMG_4947.jpg

The Fat is good stuff, and does not give my wife respiratory distress. Funny thing is, even I got tired of it before it was gone!

8 June, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a great day.

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a live stream for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their great "11235" shave soap. Great 4711 scent and wonderful lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Belfour" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed and I finished with "4711" aftershave splash & EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Great day altogether. Busy work around the house and then out to dinner this evening with friends.

Hope you have a great evening. :)

PAA "11235" Shave Soap / WWBW "Belfour" Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Alum / "4711" Aftershave Lotion & EdC

IMG_4954.jpg

9 June, 2024

Going with a couple from musician, composer David Arkenstone. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Furbo and their excellent "Blu" shave soap. Wonderful classic scent with a nice kick of menthol. Fantastic lather built with the new Simpson "Chubby" 1 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Epsilon 01 "Blue Mediterranean" aftershave splash & Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Pretty chill day on tap. Getting ready for Monday.

Furbo "Blu" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 1 Manchurian Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Alum / Epsilon 01 "Blue Mediterranean" Aftershave Splash / Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

IMG_4961.jpg

10 June, 2024

Going with a couple from English rockers The Cure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Mélange d'Agrumes" soap & skin food. Great citrus scent and phenomenal lather built with the new Paladin "Chief" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer and I finished with the matching skin food splash & Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Appointment with my sleep doctor this morning to get more supplies for my CPAP. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's Monday again.. 😕

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Mélange d'Agrumes" Shave Soap / Paladin "Chief" 2-Band Badger Brush / RazoRock Game Changer
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Mélange d'Agrumes" Skin Food Splash / AdP "Colonia" EdC

IMG_4971.jpg

11 June, 2024

Rocking out this morning with a couple from Def Leppard. Hope you enjoy.

Fan-feakin-tastic shave this morning! Returned to CBL Soaps and the @BarberDave bespoke line, "Spaghetti Western" soap & tonic. Great scent and superb lather built with the new Wild West Brushworks "Bisbee" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching aftershave tonic & Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" parfum.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Not the best night's sleep. But a great shave and coffee are helping.

CBL Soaps "Spaghetti Western" Shave Soap / WWBW "Bisbee" Band Badger Brush / Gillette Super Speed
Alum / CBL Soaps "Spaghetti Western" Aftershave Tonic / Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" Parfum

IMG_4975.jpg

11 June, 2024

Rocking out this morning with a couple from Def Leppard. Hope you enjoy.

Fan-feakin-tastic shave this morning! Returned to CBL Soaps and the @BarberDave bespoke line, "Spaghetti Western" soap & tonic. Great scent and superb lather built with the new Wild West Brushworks "Bisbee" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching aftershave tonic & Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" parfum.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Not the best night's sleep. But a great shave and coffee are helping.

CBL Soaps "Spaghetti Western" Shave Soap / WWBW "Bisbee" Band Badger Brush / Gillette Super Speed
Alum / CBL Soaps "Spaghetti Western" Aftershave Tonic / Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" Parfum

View attachment 132414
I am partial of course but…..

FANTASTIC SHAVE and GREAAAT choice of products 🤣

OK, I have to admit, Spaghetti Western is the best shave soap name I've seen.

BTW, I'm seriously considering getting a synth and drum machine soon, another horrible rabbit hole!

OK, I have to admit, Spaghetti Western is the best shave soap name I've seen.

BTW, I'm seriously considering getting a synth and drum machine soon, another horrible rabbit hole!
The scent to my nose is a mash-up of an Italian "Colonia" citrus scent married with "western" olfactory elements, e.g. leather / suede, gunpowder.

Synth & drum machine???

giphy.gif

12 June, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" so here's a couple from the incredible Pat Benatar. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Returned to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their excellent "Coconut" shaving cream. Great scent and superb lather built with the new Wild West Brushworks "Violet Swirl" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with Clubman Reserve "Tequila Tease" aftershave splash & Creed "Virgin Island Water" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Hot weather coming in tomorrow and lasting through the weekend. Heat indices getting as high as 105° thanks to the high humidity. We usually don't see this type heat/humidity until late July / early August. @BarberDave I'll take 108° with low humidity over this crap any day.

TOBS "Coconut" Shaving Cream / WWBW "Violet Swirl" Sweet Spot Band Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Alum / Clubman Reserve "Tequila Tease" Aftershave Splash/ Creed "Virgin Island Water" EdP

IMG_4983.jpg

12 June, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" so here's a couple from the incredible Pat Benatar. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Returned to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their excellent "Coconut" shaving cream. Great scent and superb lather built with the new Wild West Brushworks "Violet Swirl" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with Clubman Reserve "Tequila Tease" aftershave splash & Creed "Virgin Island Water" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Hot weather coming in tomorrow and lasting through the weekend. Heat indices getting as high as 105° thanks to the high humidity. We usually don't see this type heat/humidity until late July / early August. @BarberDave I'll take 108° with low humidity over this crap any day.

TOBS "Coconut" Shaving Cream / WWBW "Violet Swirl" Sweet Spot Band Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Alum / Clubman Reserve "Tequila Tease" Aftershave Splash/ Creed "Virgin Island Water" EdP

View attachment 132469
I agree will take a dry heat all day long. It’s crispier

13 June, 2024

Going with a couple today from guitarist extraordinaire, Al Di Meola. Hope you enjoy.

Best shave of the week this morning! Returned to Stirling Soap Co. and their excellent "Piacenza" shaving soap. Great AdP "Colonia" scent and superb lather built with the Paladin "Falstaff" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "META-4" and I finished with Acqua di Parma "Colonia" aftershave splash & EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Ewwwww! Very muggy this morning. Gonna be an icky sticky handful of days in store.

Stirling Soap Co. "Piacenza" Shave Soap / Paladin "Falstaff" 2-Band Badger Brush / PAA "META-4"
Alum / Acqua di Parma "Colonia" Aftershave Splash / Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC

IMG_4993.jpg

Here is my (Almost) Brush with Greatness moment…. A HS classmate of mine, a musician who was talented even in HS, played bass on DiMeola’s Splendido Hotel. Tim was by then a Berkley School of Music grad. He had a good career as a studio musician.

Last edited:
Back