The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

15 June, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Synthwave Saturday" and today I'm going with a live stream for your listening pleasure Hope you enjoy.

Three truly outstanding shaves in a row! Wow! They just keep getting better and better. Returned to Ariana & Evans and their "Aqua de Boracay" shaving soap. Great tropical, aquatic scent and superb lather from the Kaizen 2e base, built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Dark Knight Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Czech & Speake "Cuba" aftershave lotion & EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Whew!! Total scorcher here today. Had to run some errands earlier and the truck showed 96° for just the air temp. Checked the local weather app and it shows a heat index of 103°. Plan on staying inside the rest of the day. ☀️😓

Hope you have a great day. :)

Ariana & Evans "Aqua de Boracay" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger Brush / Gillette Fatboy
Alum / Czech & Speake "Cuba" Aftershave Lotion / Czech & Speake "Cuba" EdC

IMG_5007.jpg

16 June, 2024

Got some Deep Space, Psychill music for you today. So kick back, have a drink and relax! Hope you enjoy.

Another outstanding shave in the books today! Returned to Saponificio Varesino and their excellent "Dolomiti" shaving soap and lotion. I believe if safe to say that this on my favorite SV soap. It always leaves my face feeling so good afterward. Great scent. The sage gives it a bit of a medicinal quality and is very refreshing. Superb lather from the Beta 4.3 base, built with the Paladin "El Dorado" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching aftershave lotion.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Great day out with the missus. We were going out an early dinner at Top o' The River (one of our favorite places to dine), but it was just so crowded for Father's Day that we moved on. Finally went to a local place that just opened called Jefferson's. Nice place. More along the lines of a sports bar. But the food was good and the pint of Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale was just what I needed on this very hot day. Happy Father's Day to all the dads here.

Saponificio Varesino "Dolomiti" Shave Soap / Paladin "El Dorado" 2-Band Badger Brush
Gillette Super Speed / Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Dolomiti" Aftershave Lotion

IMG_5013.jpg

17 June, 2024

It's "Metal Monday" so I'm going with a couple from Sweden's Meshuggah! Hope you enjoy.

A rushed but extremely enjoyable shave today. Returned to the "Pablo Fiasco's Limoncello" shaving cream from Ariana & Evans. Great boozy, tart, lemony citrus scent with great lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "META-4" and I finished with ETHOS Grooming Essentials Personal Blend "Sicilian Lemon EO" skin food splash & 4711 EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Yuck! It was already over 80° when I left the house this morning. The humidity makes it feel like you have a hot, wet blanket wrapped around you.

A&E "Limoncello" Shave Cream / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger Brush / PAA "META-4"
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Sicilian Lemon EO" Skin Food Splash / 4711 EdC

IMG_5020.jpg

4711 is a favorite scent of mine. Loved the splash, but couldn’t see spending more money on such a fleeting fragrance.

18 June, 2024

Going with a couple from guitarist extraordinaire, Mark Littieri. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their excellent "Bay Gum" shaving soap and splash. Great sweet, fruity bay rum scent with exceptional lather built with the Paladin "High-Rise Beehive" 2-Band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Fatboy and I finished with the matching aftershave splash & Clubman "Citrus Musk" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: More heat, more humidity. 😓 ☀️

PAA "Bay Gum" Shave Soap / Paladin "High-Rise Beehive" 2-Band Badger Brush / Gillette "Fatboy"
Alum / PAA "Bay Gum" Aftershave Splash / Clubman "Citrus Musk" EdC

IMG_5027.jpg

Oh no, you’re doing the matcha-matchy stuff! Be careful, or else you’ll be buying good watches that match your soaps and brushes. It can be deep and quite dark, this rabbit hole you are eyeing. Not to mention ridiculously expensive. Beware my friend, beware!

Good grief, Mark Littieri can play. The second song reminds me of Roy Buchanan. One song of his begins very much like it (The Highway? Fugitive?). Ima look this up and report back to you.

Have a great day, Mark!

This is the song I was thinking of. Best instrumental “Sweet Dreams” I’ve heard. If I want to hear the lyrics, I ALWAYS go to Patsy Cline. Her voice does things to me that are best left unsaid…

BTW, a hybrid guitar/bass?! Never heard of that. Have you played one? You’ve played Tim Landers’ 5-string and 6-string basses, so I’m guessing the answer is yes. 😉

This is the song I was thinking of. Best instrumental “Sweet Dreams” I’ve heard. If I want to hear the lyrics, I ALWAYS go to Patsy Cline. Her voice does things to me that are best left unsaid…

BTW, a hybrid guitar/bass?! Never heard of that. Have you played one? You’ve played Tim Landers’ 5-string and 6-string basses, so I’m guessing the answer is yes. 😉
Bassists call them ERB's.. Extended Range Bass. Yeah I played them back in the day. 8 stringed behemoths that sounded great but weighed a lot and cost a small fortune to restring. They were strung low F# to high F (F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F). They were great for composing.

12002032_10207526753436472_7159387643556779608_n.jpg

I did have one of these which were called "touch guitars". You played it (primarily) by tapping the strings.

12194896_10207796825068094_1030780858063980893_o.jpg

Also, here are a few other Tim Landers signature basses I used to own.

413085_4972457838751_827587979_o.jpg

19 June, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm going with a little different approach. Instead of female bands or musicians, I'm going with a couple of songs with women's names in the title. Hope you enjoy.

Outstanding shave this morning! Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Bergamotto" shaving soap and splash. n invigorating green, cool citrus scent with exceptional lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Violet Swirl" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer and I finished with the matching skin food splash & Creed "Erolfa" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not as hot today, but the triple digit feel-like temps are returning just in time for the week end. Oh boy!!! :rolleyes:

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bergamotto" Shave Soap / WWBW "Violet Swirl" Badger Brush / RazoRock Game Changer
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bergamotto" Skin Food Splash / Creed "Erolfa" EdP

IMG_5033.jpg

19 June, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm going with a little different approach. Instead of female bands or musicians, I'm going with a couple of songs with women's names in the title. Hope you enjoy.

Outstanding shave this morning! Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Bergamotto" shaving soap and splash. n invigorating green, cool citrus scent with exceptional lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Violet Swirl" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer and I finished with the matching skin food splash & Creed "Erolfa" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not as hot today, but the triple digit feel-like temps are returning just in time for the week end. Oh boy!!! :rolleyes:

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bergamotto" Shave Soap / WWBW "Violet Swirl" Badger Brush / RazoRock Game Changer
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bergamotto" Skin Food Splash / Creed "Erolfa" EdP

View attachment 132778
Nice shave, Toto and Boston. There are some good memories there.

20 June, 2024

Going with a couple from San Fran rockers, Huey Lewis & The News for your Thursday. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning! Returned to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their excellent "Lime Zest" shaving cream. Nice, bright lime scent with exceptional lather built with the Paladin "Falstaff" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed and I finished with vintage Avon "Island Lime" aftershave lotion & Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Almost Friday!! Got a 4% COLA raise at work as well as July 5th off as an Employee Appreciation Day. Four day holiday weekend! Gotta love that!!

TOBS "Lime Zest" Shave Cream / Paladin "Falstaff" 2-Band Select Badger Brush / Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / Vintage Avon "Island Lime" Aftershave Splash / Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

IMG_5042.jpg

Back