The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Here is my (Almost) Brush with Greatness moment…. A HS classmate of mine, a musician who was talented even in HS, played bass on DiMeola’s Splendido Hotel. Tim was by then a Berkley School of Music grad. He had a good career as a studio musician.
Is this Tim Landers? If so, awesome!! One of my favorite bassists!!

Is this Tim Landers? If so, awesome!! One of my favorite bassists!!
Yes, we graduated together in 1974 from Brockton HS in Massachusetts. Funny story: Tim & I both REALLY wanted to date Cathy M, another classmate. She liked us both. The three of us skipped school to see American Graffiti at the mall. Cathy sat between us, taking turns resting her head on his shoulder, then mine. As it worked out, she didn’t date either of us, and went for some guy freshly out of college. 😢

I hear that properly worn money belts help with that. Keep all your valuables in the safe maybe.
200w.gif

Yes, we graduated together in 1974 from Brockton HS in Massachusetts. Funny story: Tim & I both REALLY wanted to date Cathy M, another classmate. She liked us both. The three of us skipped school to see American Graffiti at the mall. Cathy sat between us, taking turns resting her head on his shoulder, then mine. As it worked out, she didn’t date either of us, and went for some guy freshly out of college. 😢
If only she'd realized she could have been with the guy who knew Tim Landers.

Peavey Electronics Corp. made a line of signature basses (TL-5 & TL-6) for him back in the 80's.. I owned several of them. Here's a couple I had.

View attachment 132542View attachment 132543
Small world. When I was posting originally this morning, I wondered if you’d ever heard of him. BTW, his wiki page has an inaccuracy. His second band, Pledge, was Tim and three classmates. Our HS was large, about 5300 students. We had about a half dozen quality bands of different tastes. Pledge styled itself after Zepplin, and were quite good. Two had wild long hair (drummer and lead singer) and Tim and Frank Withy, the guitarist, had the obligatory shags. Frank briefly dated my sister. The lead singer saw himself as an Mick Jagger/Robert Plant type guy, and was quite the ass in those days. Early 1970s. Frank later taught at Berklee. Tragically, Frank and the lead singer, whose name I cannot recall, died by their own hand when in their late 40s.

Mark, did you see this? I think it’s old. Here is the article.

“Accidentally Sleeps
With Bass Player
LOUISVILLE, KY - The day after The Academy concert, Victoria Jorgensen, 22, was terrified to realize that she had accidentally slept with the band's bass player, mistaking him for someone important in the band,
1 can't believe how stupid I was," said Jorgensen. *I mean, I went up to the guy and was like 'are you in the band' and he was all like, 'yeah, I'm in the band,' so I did him. Then this morning I was telling my friends and I realized he was just the bass player. This happens to me all the time." Jorgensen plans to do more research before sleeping with another band member…"This won't happen again," said Jorgensen. "If I'm going to sleep with someone, they'd better be important. I mean, I could find someone here in town as important as a bass player." Adam Siska. The Academys bass player, was unavailable for comment.”

Mark, did you see this? I think it’s old. Here is the article.

“Accidentally Sleeps
With Bass Player
LOUISVILLE, KY - The day after The Academy concert, Victoria Jorgensen, 22, was terrified to realize that she had accidentally slept with the band's bass player, mistaking him for someone important in the band,
1 can't believe how stupid I was," said Jorgensen. *I mean, I went up to the guy and was like 'are you in the band' and he was all like, 'yeah, I'm in the band,' so I did him. Then this morning I was telling my friends and I realized he was just the bass player. This happens to me all the time." Jorgensen plans to do more research before sleeping with another band member…"This won't happen again," said Jorgensen. "If I'm going to sleep with someone, they'd better be important. I mean, I could find someone here in town as important as a bass player." Adam Siska. The Academys bass player, was unavailable for comment.”
No respect, I tell ya.... 😆

giphy-downsized.gif

14 June, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Freaky Friday" and today I'm going with a couple from the inimitable Frank Zappa! Hope you enjoy.

Man, today's shave was right on par with yesterday's! Hard to say which one was better. Returned to Shulton-era "Old Spice" shaving soap and aftershave lotion. Great scent and superb lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 1 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Old Spice "Fresh Lime" aftershave lotion & vintage Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Finally Friday!! Had planned on cooking some ribs on the new smoker this weekend but man, it's going to be HOT! We'll see..

Hope you have a great day. :)

Shulton "Old Spice" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 1 Manchurian Badger Brush / Gillette Super Speed
Alum / Shulton Old Spice "Fresh Lime" Aftershave Lotion / Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC

IMG_4999.jpg

Last edited:
14 June, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Freaky Friday" and today I'm going with a couple from the inimitable Frank Zappa! Hope you enjoy.

Man, today's shave was right on par with yesterday's! Hard to say which one was better. Returned to Shulton-era "Old Spice" shaving soap and aftershave lotion. Great scent and superb lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 1 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Old Spice "Fresh Lime" aftershave lotion & vintage Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Finally Friday!! Had planned on cooking some ribs on the new smoker this weekend but man, it's going to be HOT! We'll see..

Hope you have a great day. :)

Shulton "Old Spice" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 1 Manchurian Badger Brush / Gillette Super Speed
Alum / Shulton Old Spice "Fresh Lime" Aftershave Lotion / Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC

View attachment 132569
Glad to see you representing my main man, Frank Zappa. Wazzo is fantastic.

Back