The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

19 May, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Some soothing sounds for your Sunday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Abbate Y La Mantia and their "Don José" shave soap. Nice cool coconut & banana scent with cooling menthol and great lather built with the Paladin "Chief" 2-band badger brush in "Satin Cobalt" for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Super Speed, and I finished with Clubman Reserve "Tequila Tease" after shave splash & Creed "Virgin Island Water" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Restless night. Felt more tired when I awoke than when I went to bed last night. Coffee and a great shave helped.

Hope you've had a great day. :)

Abbate Y La Mantia "Don José" Shave Soap / Paladin Chief 2-Band Badger / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / Clubman Reserve "Tequila Tease" After Shave Splash / Creed "Virgin Island Water" EdP

IMG_4801.jpg

That would be a very big job!
Did you never watch Kung Fu? “A journey of 1000 miles starts with the first step.” Well, he might’ve said that. Here’s a pro tip for you: start with the letter “T”. Think of it, The Beatles, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, The Grateful Dead…. You could organize half your collection this way. Next, set aside your extensive Abba collection, for they will undoubtedly be in front . See? Nearly done now!

Did you never watch Kung Fu? “A journey of 1000 miles starts with the first step.” Well, he might’ve said that. Here’s a pro tip for you: start with the letter “T”. Think of it, The Beatles, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, The Grateful Dead…. You could organize half your collection this way. Next, set aside your extensive Abba collection, for they will undoubtedly be in front . See? Nearly done now!
:unsure:

20 May, 2024

Going with a couple from one of my all time favorite bands today. Hope you enjoy.

Outstanding shave this morning! Returned to Stirling Soap Co. and their "West Indies Lime" shave soap. Great citrus scent with a hint of vetiver and super thick and slick lather built with the Paladin "Falstaff" 2-band badger brush in "Juma Mamba". Two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless TRBR38, and I finished with vintage Avon "Island Lime" after shave lotion & "Brisk Spice" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Monday again..

Hope you have a great day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "West Indies Lime" Shave Soap / Paladin Falstaff 2-Band Badger / Timeless TRBR38
Wizamet / Alum / Avon "Island Lime" After Shave Lotion / Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC

IMG_4810.jpg

West Indie slime
🤔😟

OK, that was good for a cheap laugh. I actually enjoyed ABBA a bit. I was referring to the ABBA box set of every minute they put on tape. I read a review of it that noted it would be interesting if you spoke Swedish so you could understand the studio chatter!

Last edited:
21 May, 2024

A couple from English musician, singer and songwriter Gary Numan today. Hope you enjoy.

Today's shave is the one to beat for the week! Needed a Bay Rum fix and it's been a long time since I last used Phoenix Artisan Accoutrement's "Atomic Age Bay Rum" so I decided to remedy that today. One of the best bay rums available IMO. Great scent and super thick and slick lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Bisbee" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer and I finished with the matching after shave splash & Barberry Coast "Nature Isle" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Another rough night but a great shave and coffee are helping.

PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" Shave Soap / WWBW "Bisbee" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / RazoRock Game Changer
Wizamet / Alum / PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" After Shave Splash / Barberry Coast "Nature Isle" EdP

IMG_4815.jpg

22 May, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" so here's a couple from the beautiful and talented Stevie Nicks. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Went with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements again, this time using their new (it's actually a reboot) "Coconut Oud" shave soap & splash. At first blush, you'd thinks these two notes (and there are only two notes in this) wouldn't work, but it actually does. Sweet coconut & vanillic notes combined with spicy, dark oud. Super thick and slick lather built with the Paladin "Falstaff" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with the matching after shave splash & Yves Saint Laurent "M7 Fresh" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Better sleep last night. I can tell summer's just around the corner. Super humid 70's this morning. More rain / storms moving in for tonight and tomorrow.

PAA "Coconut Oud" Shave Soap / Paladin "Falstaff" 2-Band Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Wizamet / Alum / PAA "Coconut Oud" After Shave Splash / YSL "M7 Fresh" EdT

IMG_4828.jpg

23 May, 2024

Going with a couple from Funk / R&B greats, Kool & The Gang. Hope you enjoy.

Shave to beat this morning, edging out Tuesday's! Went back to Martin de Candre and their "Nature" shave soap. Incredibly thick and slick lather built with the new Paladin "Mandarin" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" skin food splash & Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Back at the dentist this morning getting that cavity taken care of, hence the aroma-free shave. Sprayed on some AdP when I got back to the office.

Martin de Candre "Nature" Shave Soap / Paladin "Mandarin" 2-Band Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" Skin Food Splash / AdP "Colonia Essenza" EdC

IMG_4836.jpg

24 May, 2024

Closing out the workweek with a couple from English rockers, Deep Purple. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning Had a whole other setup ready but changed this morning to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their "Oud Spice" shave soap & splash. Great scent and super thick and slick lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching splash & Czech & Speake "Frankincense & Myrrh" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Finally Friday! As mentioned, great shave today. Returned to the '58 Super Speed because it's such a great shaver. It would probably be my "desert island" razor if I were forced to pick one.

PAA "Oud Spice" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / PAA "Oud Spice" After Shave Splash / Czech & Speake "Frankincense & Myrrh" EdP

IMG_4843.jpg

Happy Friday Mark! Who drew the short straw and has to be on call this weekend?
giphy-downsized.gif

Returned to the '58 Super Speed because it's such a great shaver. It would probably be my "desert island" razor if I were forced to pick one.
Amazing how that little razor has stood the test of time. I have a ‘57 Red Tip that I really like. Of course, per the Gillette calendar I am a C-1.

25 May, 2024

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a live stream for you. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Shave MD" shave soap & splash. Great scent and lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless TRBR and I finished with the matching skin food splash & Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Busy day with both work work and house work. Started the day off right with a great shave though. Plan on taking it easy the rest of the night. Also, it looks as if AdP Colonia is going to be my summer time go-to frag. Can't get much better IMO. ;)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Shave MD" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" Badger Brush / Timeless TRBR
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Shave MD" Skin Food Splash / AdP "Colonia" EdC

IMG_4851.jpg

26 May, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Need to relax and chill out tonight so I'm going with a couple from American composer and performer, David Arkenstone. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today. Returned to Hendrix Classics & Co. and their excellent "Citrus Bomb" soap, splash & EdP. This is one of the nicest (and strongest) citrus scents out there! With most soaps it's difficult to pick out individual notes. Not with this one. Grapefruit is very dominant, but I can easily pick out orange and what appears to be tangerine notes as well. Wonderful! Excellent lather built with the Riva Brushes Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Super Speed (my favorite) and I finished with the matching aftershave splash & EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Busy day again. Met up with friends and hung out a good portion of the day with them. Got home and prepped everything for cooking some ribs on the smoker tomorrow. Keeping an eye on the weather as they're forecasting storms moving in over night.

HC&C "Citrus Bomb" Shave Soap / Riva Brushes Manchurian Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / HC&C "Citrus Bomb" Aftershave Splash / HC&C "Citrus Bomb" EdP

IMG_4856.jpg

Back