The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

28 May, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Going with a couple from the King of Pop, Michael Jackson Hope you enjoy.

Skipped yesterday so today's shave was extra nice. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and their excellent "Nuage de Citron" soap & splash. Bright, tart citrus scent with excellent lather built with the Paladin El Dorado 2-Band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer and I finished with the matching skin food splash & ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Colonia" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Long weekends are never long enough.. :(

Hope you have a great day. :)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage de Citron" Shave Soap / Paladin El Dorado Badger Brush / RazoRock Game Changer
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage de Citron" Splash / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Colonia" EdP

IMG_4866.jpg

29 May, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm featuring a couple from Gladys Knight & The Pips. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their excellent "Oud Spice" soap & aftershave. Fantastic scent and excellent lather built with the Paladin Mandarin 2-Band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with the matching aftershave & vintage Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Hump Day!! We're on the downhill slide to the weekend.

PAA "Oud Spice" Shave Soap / Paladin Mandarin Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Wizamet / Alum / PAA "Oud Spice" Star Jelly Aftershave / Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC

IMG_4877.jpg

30 May, 2024

Going with a couple from the band credited with creating the Heavy Metal genre, English rockers Black Sabbath. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Martin e Candre and their excellent "Agrumes" shave soap. Wonderful citrus scent and excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Duper Speed and I finished with Ethos Grooming Essentials "Sicilian Lemon EO" skin food splash & Etat Libre d'Orange "Cologne" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. One day closer to Friday!

Martin de Candre "Agrumes" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" 26mm Sweet Spot Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Sicilian Lemon EO" Skin Food Splash / Etat Libre d'Orange "Cologne" EdP

IMG_4883.jpg

30 May, 2024

Going with a couple from the band credited with creating the Heavy Metal genre, English rockers Black Sabbath. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Martin e Candre and their excellent "Agrumes" shave soap. Wonderful citrus scent and excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Duper Speed and I finished with Ethos Grooming Essentials "Sicilian Lemon EO" skin food splash & Etat Libre d'Orange "Cologne" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. One day closer to Friday!

Martin de Candre "Agrumes" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" 26mm Sweet Spot Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Sicilian Lemon EO" Skin Food Splash / Etat Libre d'Orange "Cologne" EdP

View attachment 131912
What?! No Johnny Blade????? Cmon man 😂

today I'm featuring a couple from Gladys Knight & The Pips
OMGosh! I LOVE these songs. Mark, you must’ve seen Soul Train in the early ‘70s? That was my first visual introduction to Gladys and her Pips, If Midnight Train doesn’t get your feet moving, and Neither One of Us doesn’t get get your head and/or body swaying, call @NurseDave so he can check your pulse. Thanks for posting these.

OMGosh! I LOVE these songs. Mark, you must’ve seen Soul Train in the early ‘70s? That was my first visual introduction to Gladys and her Pips, If Midnight Train doesn’t get your feet moving, and Neither One of Us doesn’t get get your head and/or body swaying, call @NurseDave so he can check your pulse. Thanks for posting these.
Oh yeah!! I can still hear Don Cornelius' voice!

giphy.gif

31 May, 2024

Closing out the workweek with a couple of classics from Motown greats, The Four Tops. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their excellent "Grapefruit" shave cream. Wonderful citrus scent and excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Belfour" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Mamba 70 and I finished with Master Soap Creations "Grapefruit Zest" aftershave tonic & Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: More rain and storms moving in for the weekend! Oh boy!!!

giphy-downsized.gif

TOBS "Grapefruit" Shave Cream / WWBW "Belfour" 26mm Sweet Spot Badger Brush / RazoRock Mamba 70
Wizamet / Alum / MSC "Grapefruit Zest" Aftershave Tonic / AdP "Colonia" EdC

IMG_4888.jpg

1 June, 2024

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a live feed for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to CBL Soaps and their excellent "Litsea Cubeba" shave soap & tonic. Wonderful lemon, lemon grass & verbena scent and excellent lather built with the Paladin "Falstaff" 2-band select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with the matching" witch hazel tonic & Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Today turned out to not be a complete wash out. Was able to get more of the garage reorganized. Ended up getting a Pit Boss Pro Series II 850 pellet grill and actually used it last week to cook some ribs which turned out great for a first-time use. They were a little dry. I'll have to put more water in the pan next time. But they had great flavor and an actual smoke ring in the meat (something I could never get on my old smoker). Used the 3-2-1 method but they didn't take six full hours to cook as I went more on temperature than time. Have plans to cook a Boston Butt for the fourth.

CBL Soaps "Litsea Cubeba" Shave Soap / Paladin "Falstaff" 26mm 2-Band Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Wizamet / Alum / CBL Soaps "Litsea Cubeba" Witch Hazel Tonic / AdP "Colonia" EdC

IMG_4901.jpg

2 June, 2024

It's a continuation of Synthwave Saturday. Going with a couple from rockers, Gunship. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Saponificio Varesino and their excellent "Cosmo" shave soap & lotion. Fantastic scent and excellent lather built with the Paladin "Mandarin" 2-band select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching ASL & Alexandria Fragrances "Mediterranean Coast" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much going on today. Housework and laundry primarily since there are clusters of rain and storms moving through.

Saponificio Varesino "Cosmo" Shave Soap / Paladin "Mandarin" 26mm 2-Band Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Cosmo" Aftershave Lotion / Alexandria Fragrances "Mediterranean Coast" EdP

IMG_4909.jpg

3 June, 2024

Going with a couple from contemporary jazz greats, The Rippingtons. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their excellent Aqua Velva copy, Sacré Bleu" shave soap. Great dupe of the original scent and superb lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Lagoon" ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer and I finished with Williams "Aqua Velva" aftershave lotion & Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Monday and back on call.. Blah.. :(

PAA "Sacré Bleu" Shave Soap / WWBW "Lagoon" ST Badger Brush / RazoRock Game Changer
Wizamet / Alum / Williams "Aqua Velva" Aftershave Lotion / AdP "Colonia" EdC

IMG_4916.jpg

4 June, 2024

Going with a couple from English rockers, The Clash. Hope you enjoy.

Outstanding shave this morning! Returned to Ethos Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Mélange d'Agrumes" soap and skin food. Nice, bright citrus scent and superb lather built with the Paladin "High-Rise Beehive" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless TRBR38 and I finished with the skin food splash & Alexandria Fragrances "Mediterranean Coast" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Came home yesterday and fired up the grill and grilled some burgers for me and the wife. Schweid & Sons chuck and brisket signature blend seasoned with Kinder Prime Steak (with black garlic and truffle). So good!! This is the only seasoning I use now with steaks and burgers. Definitely worth a try if you can get a bottle.

ETHOS "Mélange d'Agrumes" Shave Soap / Paladin "High-Rise Beehive" Badger Brush / Timeless TRBR38
Alum / ETHOS "Mélange d'Agrumes" Skin Food Splash / Alexandria Fragrances "Mediterranean Coast" EdP

IMG_4925.jpg

5 June, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm going with a couple from The Shirelles. Hope you enjoy.

Another outstanding shave this morning! Returned to the vintage Shulton "Old Spice" shave soap. Classic Old Spice scent and superb lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 1 best badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements META-4 and I finished with vintage Shulton "Old Spice" aftershave lotion & vintage Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Out for dinner with the wife last night. She went to get her nails done after work and I had to go to Lowe's to pick up a few things and we met up at Buenavista Mexican Cantina for some Tex-Mex. Great food and great time spent with Crystal.

Shulton "Old Spice" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 1 Best Badger Brush / PAA META-4
Alum / Shulton "Old Spice" Aftershave Lotion / Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC

IMG_4931.jpg

I only hear The Beatles’ version of “Baby it’s You” in my head. I’ve heard the Shirelles’ song, but I heard The Beatles’ first. Maybe their weakest song on their VJ Introducing… album. Love The Shirelles’ Will You Still Love Me… 👍

Back