The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

3 April, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Today is "Women of Jazz Wednesday" and I'm featuring a couple of cuts from one of my favorite musicians, saxophonist Grace Kelly. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave to this morning. New soap day with the arrival of "Empyrean Bay Rum" from Ariana & Evans. If you're not a fan of traditional bay rum scents, this may be the one for you. Bay leaf and rum take a back seat to more fruity and floral notes. In fact, I'd classify this as more of a "Polynesian" version of bay rum. Excellent lather built with the FrugalShave "Tiki Idol" High Mountain White ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Tatara Masamune, and I finished with Layrite No.9 Bay Rum AS and Barberry Coast "Nature Isle" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: The storms weren't as bad as feared yesterday thanks to other storms that fired up about 150 ~ 200 miles south of us which essentially choked off development in my area. There was one storm about 40 miles away where a funnel cloud was spotted, but I don't think it ever touched down. Now it's "Dogwood Winter" here with highs in the 50's and lows in the upper 30's. Should warm up again next week.

Hope you've had a great day. :)

Ariana & Evans "Empyrean Bay Rum" Shave Soap / FrugalShave "Tiki Idol" HMW Badger Brush / Tatara Masamune
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Layrite "No.9 Bay Rum" After Shave Splash / Barberry Coast "Nature Isle" EdC

IMG_4483.jpg

4 April, 2024

Going with a couple of songs today which feature other famous artists singing in the background. Not duets technically but more of a supporting role. Can you name the two guest artists in these two 80's hits? Hope you enjoy.

Great shave to this morning. Returned to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their excellent "Lime Zest" shave cream. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Paladin "Juma Mamba" 2-Band Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless TRBR38, and I finished with ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Lime EO" Personal Blend skin food splash & "Colonia" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Best sleep thus far on the new bed. Gradually decreased the support level until it would appear I've found my number, "60".

TOBS "Lime Zest" Shave Cream / Paladin "Juma Mamba" 2-Band Select Badger Brush / Timeless TRBR38
Gillette Platinum / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Lime EO" Skin Food Splash& "Colonia" EdP

IMG_4495.jpg

[QUOTE="MarkB, post: 443472, member: 264"
Great scent and excellent lather built with the Paladin "Juma Mamba" 2-Band Select badger brush
[/QUOTE]
Paladin, our latest artisan supporter! [Shameless plug] 😇

5 April, 2024

A couple from 80's greats, Thompson Twins this morning. Hope you enjoy.

The word for today's shave is sandalwood. Great scent and excellent lather from the Fine Accoutrements "Santal Absolut" shave soap, built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Karve SS Christopher Bradley razor. I finished with D.R. Harris "Sandalwood" after shave splash & Arden for Men "Sandalwood" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: TGIF! Looking forward to the weekend. Gonna be out smoker shopping. There are a couple of landscaping stores in the area that have designated grill / smoker departments. Gonna go check them out.

Fine Accoutrements "Santal Absolut" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger / Karve SS Christopher Bradley
Wizamet / Alum / D.R. Harris "Sandalwood" After Shave Splash / Arden for Men "Sandalwood" EdC

IMG_4500.jpg

6 April, 2024

A Synthwave playlist for your Saturday evening. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to RazoRock and their excellent "P.160" shave soap. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Bisbee" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Epsilon 03 "Amber" after shave splash & Aramis "Tuscany per Uomo" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: My sleep continues to improve with the new bed. Settings go from "0" to "100" for firmness level. As many back and hip problems as I have, my doctors have always told me I need a very firm mattress. However, I've been getting my best rest with the setting at "60". Not much else going on. Like @GearNoir we've been doing laundry and some housework. Fixed some penne pasta and shrimp in vodka sauce for dinner tonight which came out very well. Store bought sauce though from the local Fresh Market. Haven't graduated to "saucier" level cooking yet. ;)

RazoRock "P.160" Shave Soap / WWBW "Bisbee" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Wizamet / Alum / Epsilon 03 "Amber" After Shave Splash / Aramis "Tuscany Per Uomo" EdT

IMG_4505.jpg

7 April, 2024

Taking you back in time today with a shopping trip to the mall, circa 1979. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to @Dragonsbeard / ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Nuage De Citron" shave soap. Wonderful scent and excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Kokopelli" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the pre-war Gillette Tech and I finished with the matching skin food splash & Alvarez Gomez "Agua de Colonia Concentrada" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Chill day here at the house. Plan on firing up the grill later on. That's about it.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage De Citron" Shave Soap / WWBW "Kokopelli" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / Gillette Tech / Wizamet
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage De Citron" Skin Food Splash / Alvarez Gomez "Agua de Colonia Concentrada" EdC

IMG_4509.jpg

Lemon bomb! Very nice fresh frag. Doesn’t hang around very long unfortunately. @HMan mentioned a similar frag that was practically identical but lasted longer. Maybe he’ll pop in and let us know what that was.
Like the looks of this! Do tell!

Alvarez Gomez is probably my favorite AS at the moment. Old school lemon herbal, love it.
It was Pierre Guillaume Yuzu ab Irato that smells just like it in the opening, love it too!

Alvarez Gomez is Spanish drug store stuff, at least here, it's not terribly expensive.

Thanks, Cole. Can you recommend a site for purchase? Lucky Scent here in the states does carry the Pierre Guillaume line, but that one isn't listed. I've sent them and email to see if they can get it.

8 April, 2024

It's "Eclipse Day" so some appropriate music is required. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their excellent "Sun Down" shave soap and splash. Wonderful old school scent and superb lather built with the Paladin "Tigris Perla" 26mm 2-Band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless Razor TRBR38 and I finished with the matching after shave splash & vintage Avon "Tai Winds" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: As previously mentioned, it's eclipse day. We're not in the path but should have more than 90% coverage. However, we're socked in with heavy clouds and rain so, wont have to worry about damaging my eyes this time.

PAA "Sun Down" Shave Soap / Paladin "Tigris Perla" 2-Band Badger Brush / Timeless TRBR38
Wizamet / Alum / PAA "Sun Down" After Shave Splash / Avon "Tai Winds" EdC

IMG_4515.jpg

Been thinking of this Floyd song all day. Was in the path of totality in Ashtabula, OH on Lake Erie. Full corona - it was way cool. Quite literally, the temp dropped significantly, don’t know any official numbers, but it felt like it dropped 15 degrees F during the eclipse. That could just be me.
Did someone say “Ashtabula”?

9 April, 2024

Rainy day here and that calls for rainy day music. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Mondial 1908 and their excellent "Mandarin & Spices" shave soap. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless Razor TRBR38 and I finished with The Goodfellas' Smile "Orange Empire" after shave splash & Hermès "Terre d'Hermès" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Tired this morning. On call this week and had an alarm come in last night a little after eleven. Nothing serious and I remedied the problem from home. But it took over an hour for me to get back to sleep.

Mondial 1908 "Mandarin & Spices" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger Brush / Timeless TRBR38
Wizamet / Alum / The Goodfellas' Smile "Orange Empire" After Shave Splash / Hermès "Terre d'Hermès" EdT

IMG_4521.jpg

giphy.gif

10 April, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and here's a couple of videos featuring Dutch singer, Sharon den Adel and her band, Within Temptation. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their excellent "Shave Chaser" shave soap. Great "Skin Bracer" scent and excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Mint Chip" HD ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '69 Gillette Super 109 and I finished with The Mennen "Skin Bracer" after shave splash & Nicolaï "New York" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much going on. Got more storms moving in later on so gonna have to keep an eye on the weather today. More of a hail threat than tornadoes but that can still do a lot of damage.

PAA "Shave Chaser" Shave Soap / WWBW "Mint Chip" HD ST Badger Brush / '69 Gillette Super 109
Wizamet / Alum / Mennen "Skin Bracer" After Shave Splash / Nicolaï "New York" EdT

IMG_4525.jpg

Thanks, Cole. Can you recommend a site for purchase? Lucky Scent here in the states does carry the Pierre Guillaume line, but that one isn't listed. I've sent them and email to see if they can get it.
Hi Mark, sorry I missed this! I almost always order direct from the house. He has so insanely many perfumes that I guess a lot of places in the States (or Europe) don't carry them all.
I'll try to remember to bring my sample with me in July when we visit California, and send it your way. He has free shipping to the US, but the minimum is pretty spendy :( I can't honestly think of any other citrus frag that captures Alvarez Gomez like Yuzu ab Irato.

I would up getting one of his choose your own 15 sample sets to start, and well the rest is history!

Oh Scent Split 09 Yuzu Ab Irato

Last edited:
Back