The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Back to practice with the band later this evening. We have a lead guitarist auditioning and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully he works out and we can get back out gigging. :cool: 🎸
That’s great news, Mark. I hope the audition goes well.

21 March, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Going with some Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for your Thursday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Another great shave this morning! Returned to Truefitt & Hill and their "1805" shave cream and ASB. Excellent scent and lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Belfour" Sweet Spot Badger brush. Two passes (plus touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching ASB & Caron "Le 3e Homme de Caron" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: No practice last night. The drummer's wife had an accident and he was with her at the ER. Contacted the guitarist and he was cool with waiting a week. Said it would give him more time to work on the short list of songs we had sent him (a good sign). Not much else going on. I did end up firing up the grill for the first time yesterday! Slapped a couple of New York Strips on it and grilled them up to a perfect medium. Half a baked potato (the missus and I always split one) and a salad. Yummy!!!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Truefitt & Hill "1805" Shave Cream / WWBW "Belfour" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / Truefitt & Hill "1805" After Balm / Caron "Le 3e Homme de Caron" EdT

IMG_4396.jpg

I dunno ... after all, she married a drummer.
Wow.. You really went there...

giphy.gif

22 March, 2024

It's finally Friday and I'm going with a couple from English rockers, Def Leppard. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave with which to close out the workweek! Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Shave MD" soap and splash set from his Tribute Collection. Wonderfully bright, effervescent, citrus soda scent and excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Breakwater" ST Badger brush. Two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with the matching skin food splash & Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Nice and warm today but rain coming in this afternoon and overnight. Glad it's Friday!

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Shave MD" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Breakwater" ST Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Shave MD" Skin Food Splash / AdP "Colonia Essenza" EdC

IMG_4400.jpg

23 March, 2024

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a live stream for your weekend Cyberpunk adventures. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their excellent "Grapefruit" shave cream. Nice sharp & tart grapefruit scent with excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot ST Badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the SS Karve Christopher Bradley razor, and I finished with Master Splash Creations "Grapefruit Zest after shave tonic.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Busy day with the missus. Out this morning to go bird watching. There's a convocation of Bald Eagles that have descended on a small town about five miles away. DOZENS of them! It's not uncommon to see a few as they do nest in the area, but I've never seen so many congregated at one time.

434254191_399580186111170_8688699138365575132_n.jpg

Afterward we rode out to spend some time with her parents. It was a nice visit. After leaving there, we stopped and looked at some smokers. I'm looking to up my game and invest with a nicer setup than I currently use. Something that I could cook Boston butts, brisket, etc.. Saw a couple I liked (Pit Boss) but want to do more research. If anyone has recommendations, I'd love to get some other ideas. After that it was back home to do some chores and afterward went out to dinner at a place in Guntersville (about 18 miles away) called Top of the River. A very nice steak / seafood restaurant right on the banks of Guntersville Lake (part of the Tennessee River).

TotR.jpg

Now it's back home for what's looking like an early bedtime for the both of us! LOL!

TOBS "Grapefruit" Shave Cream / WWBW "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot ST Badger Brush / Karve Christopher Bradley
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Master Splash Creations "Grapefruit Zest" After Shave Tonic

IMG_4406.jpg

Last edited:
24 March, 2024

Some relaxing jazz for your Sunday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Wholly Kaw and their excellent "Fougère Bouquet" shave soap. Nice Earthy-green and floral notes with excellent lather built with the Riva Manchurian Badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy, and I finished with Brut Splash On.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Low-key day compared to yesterday. Doing laundry, etc. Gotta go out later on and I'm treating my wife to an early birthday present with a 60 minute massage. Gonna be grilling later on. Got a couple more steaks I seasoned last night and now have out letting them rise to room temp.

Wholly Kaw "Fougère Bouquet" Shave Soap / Riva Brushes Manchurian Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Brut "Brut Splash On"

IMG_4415.jpg

25 March, 2024

A couple from Sting for your Monday morning. Hope you enjoy.

A @woodpusher approved "meh" shave this morning, but not because of any shortcomings with the components themselves. Had another shave lined up but was pressed for time so I just grabbed the bar of Mogno that I always keep in reach for just such an occasion. Nice woody-aquatic scent with excellent lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Tech, and I finished with Davidoff "Cool Water" AS and EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Blah... Rough morning. Didn't sleep well. Felt like I was waking up every thirty minutes. Shave helped and coffee is helping more.

Ach Brito "Mogno" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger Brush / Gillette Tech
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Davidoff "Cool Water" After Shave Splash & EdT

IMG_4420.jpg

Back