The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

I’m not sure how you might pronounce this band name, but my medical brain keeps seeing images of gross oozing infectious material. 😢🤢
After listening to it though....

giphy.gif

18 April, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant day.

In a Bowie mood this morning so here's a couple from his 1984 album, Tonight. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to my vintage Yardley shave soap. Excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Bisbee" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Mamba 70 and I finished with Skin Bracer "Cool Spice" and Czech & Speake "Frankincense & Myrrh" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much going on. My bottle of Houbigant "Fougère Royale" should arrive today. More storms moving in this afternoon and evening.

Hope you've had a great day. :)

Vintage Yardley Shave Soap / WWBW "Bisbee" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / RazoRock "Mamba 70" / Wizamet
Alum / Skin Bracer "Cool Spice" After Shave Lotion / Czech & Speake "Frankincense & Myrrh" EdP

IMG_4574.jpg

19 April, 2024

Closing out the workweek with a couple of live cuts from the late, great Frank Zappa. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Barrister and Mann and their wonderful "Fougère Classique" shave soap. Excellent scent and lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Midnight Mint" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '69 Gillette Super-109 and I finished with the matching splash and Houbigant "Fougère Royale" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Our dog, Max hasn't been feeling well since yesterday. Lethargic, not wanting to eat his food or treats so Crystal is taking him to the vet this morning. Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

Barrister and Mann "Fougère Classique" Shave Soap / WWBW "Midnight Mint" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / '69 Gillette Super-109
Wizamet / Alum / Barrister and Mann "Fougère Classique" After Shave Splash / Houbigant "Fougère Royale" EdP

IMG_4579.jpg

20 April, 2024

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a live stream for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Best shave of the week today. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their wonderful "11235" shave soap. Excellent 4711 scent and incredible lather built with the Paladin "Tigris Perla" 2-Band Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with Mugler 4711 after shave splash and EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Late shave today. Woke up not feeling great or, in the geographic vernacular, I was "feeling puny". Felt better as the day wore on but may end up observing "No Shave Sunday" tomorrow. Max is okay. Ended up just being pancreatitis. The vet gave him some meds for us to give him over the next few days that should take care of it. I can tell he's already feeling better.

PAA "11235" Shave Soap / Paladin "Tigris Perla" 2-Band Select Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Wizamet / Alum / Mugler "4711" After Shave Splash / Mugler "4711" EdC

IMG_4584.jpg

Max is okay. Ended up just being pancreatitis. The vet gave him some meds for us to give him over the next few days that should take care of it. I can tell he's already feeling better
TBH, I’ve never heard a physician use the expression “just pancreatitis.” Glad Max is feeling better. Good boy, Max!

21 April, 2024

It's "Slow Jazz" Sunday so here's a live stream for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today. Stayed with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their wonderful "Oud Spice" shave soap. Excellent scent combination of Shulton era Old Spice and dark, resinous oud with incredible lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Kokopelli" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with the matching after shave splash and Amouage "Jubilation XXV" EdP.

PAA "Oud Spice" Shave Soap / WWBW "Kokopelli" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Wizamet / Alum / PAA "Oud Spice" After Shave Splash / Amouage "Jubilation XXV" EdP

IMG_4588.jpg

22 April, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting the workweek kicked off with a couple of bangers from Guns N' Roses. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Martin de Candre and their excellent "Fougère" shave soap. Delicate but wonderful woody / green scent with exceptional lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock "Mamba 70" and I finished with Brut "Classic" after shave splash & Brut "Original" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Monday again? Damn! Weekends are never long enough. :(

Martin de Candre "Fougère" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger Brush / RazoRock "Mamba 70"
Wizamet / Alum / Brut "Classic" After Shave Splash / Brut "Original" EdT

IMG_4592.jpg

23 April, 2024

Going with a couple from Huey Lewis and the News for your Tuesday. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave to this morning. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Rosa" soap and splash from his Las Flores Collection. Excellent, natural-rose scent with exceptional lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Rosé Noir" HD ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '69 Gillette Super-109, and I finished with the matching skin food splash and Domenico Caraceni "1913" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Very groggy this morning. Ended up with a small patch of redness on my left cheek. Coffee is helping. :coffee:

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Rosa" Shave Soap / WWBW "Rosé Noir" HD ST Badger Brush / '69 Gillette Super-109
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Rosa" After Shave Splash / Domenico Caraceni "1913" EdP

IMG_4603.jpg

24 April, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and here are a couple from The Bangles. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave to this morning. Returned to Taylor of old Bond Street and their excellent "Lime Zest" shave cream. Excellent scent with super-slick lather built with the Paladin "Juma Mamba" 2-Band Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed, and I finished with vintage Avon "Island Lime" after shave lotion and Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Half-way done with the week! Weird dreams last night. Sometimes it feels like I'm sliding into someone else's dream. Just so strange. Places I've never been. People I've never met and hyper HYPER clarity. It only started in the last year. Strange.

TOBS "Lime Zest" Shave Cream / Paladin "Juma Mamba" 2-Band Select Badger Brush / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / Avon "Island Lime" After Shave Lotion / Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC

IMG_4610.jpg

Back