The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Mongo is on my want-to-try list. Hopefully, it will still be around in 10 years when I am ready to buy something. 😜

26 March, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

In a Pink Floyd mood this morning. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! New soap / splash day with the arrival of "Oud Spice" from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. I was a little hesitant in ordering this one as the thought of "Old Spice" combined with agar wood didn't sound like something that would work. But my misgivings were unfounded. Great scent! Shulton-era OS with a hint of smoky, leathery, woody oud which complements it nicely. Excellent lather built with the new Wild West Brushworks "Bisbee" Sweet Spot Badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '69 Gillette Super 109, and I finished with the matching AS and Procter & Gamble "Old Spice" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Better night's rest last night, except for the call I got from my work's after-hours alarm monitoring crew. Luckily I didn't have to go out and was able to quickly get back to sleep. Have an eye appointment this afternoon so I may not be around much. I'm sure I'll have my eyes blasted with Tropicamide and receive a pair of those chic, stylish glasses they have.

giphy.gif

Hope you have a great day. :)

PAA "Oud Spice" Shave Soap / WWBW "Bisbee" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / '69 Gillette Super 109
Gillette Platinum / Alum / PAA "Oud Spice" After Shave Splash / P&G "Old Spice" EdC

IMG_4427.jpg

27 March, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm featuring a couple from American violinist, songwriter & dancer, Lindsey Stirling. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Blood Orange" soap & splash set from his Italia Collection. Excellent scent and super thick and slick lather built with the new Paladin "Tigris Perla" 2-Band Select Badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Tatara Masamune, and I finished with the matching AS and Rochas "Moustache" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Eye exam went well. A little bit of a change in my far vision but everything else was okay. Went ahead and ordered a new set of specs which should be in in about two weeks. Supposed to audition the new guitarist tonight. Hopefully we can get together and he works out. I'm ready to get back out gigging!

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blood Orange" Shave Soap / Paladin "Tigris Perla" 2-Band Badger Brush / Tatara Masamune
Gillette Platinum / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blood Orange" Skin Food Splash / Rochas "Moustache" EdT

IMG_4433.jpg

28 March, 2024

Happy Thursday all. Going with a couple from English rockers, XTC. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Returned to Arran Aromatics and their "Lochranza" soap & balm set. Great scent and lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Abalone" HMW badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Tech, and I finished with the matching balm and Eight & Bob "The Original" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: No practice again last night. Our singer (who owns his own HVAC business) was swamped with calls and worked late. I'm beginning to think the universe is plotting against us. :mad: In better news, today is my Friday. Three day weekend!

giphy.gif

Arran Aromatics "Lochranza" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Abalone" HMW Badger Brush / Gillette Tech
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Arran Aromatics "Lochranza" ASB / Eight & Bob "The Original" EdP

IMG_4440.jpg

29 March, 2024

It's "Find Your Own Music Friday" so make it something good!

Late post but great shave to start the day. Returned to Martin de Candre and their "Agrumes" shave soap. Great scent and incredibly thick and slick lather built with the Paladin "Juma Mamba" 2-Bnand Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless Razors TRBR38, and I finished with Myrsol "Agua de Limón" after shave splash.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: New bed was delivered today. Looking forward to breaking it in tonight. Not much more to report. Grilled some chicken legs this afternoon with roasted Brussel sprouts and creamed potatoes.

Hope you've had a great day. :)

Martin de Candre "Agrumes" Shave Soap / Paladin "Juma Mamba" 2-Band Badger Brush / Timeless TRBR38
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Myrsol "Agua Di Limón" After Shave Splash

IMG_4445.jpg

30 March, 2024

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a live stream to get your Cyberpunk on with. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their "CaD" soap and splash set. This is the closest match to YSL Rive Gauche I've found with excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '69 Gillette Super 109, and I finished with the matching splash and YSL "Rive Gauche"EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Pretty good night's sleep last night. Gonna have to dial-in the right support level but based n last night, I think the new bed setup will be a winner. LOVE the adjustable base! The missus and I will be going to her sister's later for Easter dinner with the in-laws. Now, time for more coffee.

PAA "CaD" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / '69 Gillette Super 109
Gillette Platinum / Alum / PAA "CaD" After Shave Splash / YSL "Rive Gauche" EdT

IMG_4450.jpg

31 March, 2024

It's "Slow Jazz Sunday" so here's a live stream to get your evening listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Late post but great shave to start the day. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Honeysuckle" soap and splash set. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Bisbee" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S, and I finished with the matching splash and Brut Original EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Grilled a couple of sirloins for us this afternoon with baked potato and cobb salad (@NurseDave would approve). Now, winding down getting ready for bed soon. May watch an episode or two of the new Netflix series "3 Body Problem". Great show!!

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Honeysuckle" Shave Soap / WWBW "Bisbee" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Honeysuckle" After Shave Splash / Brut Original EdC

IMG_4461.jpg

1 April, 2024

A couple of early 80's classics for your Monday. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave to start both the new week and month. Returned to Saponificio Varesino and their excellent "Opuntia" soap and splash set. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Pre-War Tech, and I finished with the matching ASL and Creed "Himalaya" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: It's Monday... Blah...

Saponificio Varesino "Opuntia" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" ST Badger Brush / Gillette Pre-War Tech
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Opuntia" After Shave Lotion / Creed "Himalaya" EdP

IMG_4471.jpg

2 April, 2024

Advancements in keyboard and synthesizer technology in the mid to late 70's led to the explosion of many and varied music styles in the 80's. Here's a couple of tracks where the instrument takes center stage. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave to this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their excellent "Oud Spice" soap and splash set. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Paladin "Tigris Perla" 2-Band Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy, and I finished with the matching AS and Czech & Speake "Frankincense & Myrrh" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Best sleep yet on the new bed last night. Slowly getting my numbers dialed in. Storms moving in today. Could be bad. Tornadoes are not out of the question.

PAA "Oud Spice" Shave Soap / Paladin "Tigris Perla" 2-Band Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum / Alum / PAA "Oud Spice" After Shave Splash / Czech & Speake "Frankincense & Myrrh" EdC

IMG_4476.jpg

Back