The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

27 December, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had pleasant evening.

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm featuring the beautiful and talented Carly Simon. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today. Returned to D.R. Harris "Marlborough" shave soap. Great lather built with the new Paladin "Falstaff" 2-band select badger but the scent is so light it's, for all intents and purposes, "unscented". Two passes with the Karve Christopher Bradley DE and I finished with Davidoff "Cool Water" AS & EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

D.R. Harris "Marlborough" Shave Soap / Paladin "Falstaff" 2-Band Select Badger / Karve CB SB Razor
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Davidoff "Cool Water" After Shave Splash & EdT

IMG_3792.jpg

Last edited:
In the early ‘80s I was at a James Taylor show. He hadn’t brought out the band yet, was just doing an acoustic set, when he said, “I’d like to do a duet now”. Carly sometimes toured with him, and the crowd went nuts with anticipation, myself included. He stepped to one side, his spotlight following him. Another spotlight came on and revealed a barstool with a reel-to-reel tape deck. He hit Play and “Shower the People” came on, Carly singing. All 3500 people at that small venue let out an “Aww”. She sang lead to his live accompaniment, James joining in on the chorus. It was note to note perfect, their timing perfect. After the applause, he brought out the band, and they kicked it into high gear with Buddy Holly’s “Everyday”. Great musical performance and experience. So while I cannot say I’ve seen Carly in concert, I have heard her. Very memorable.

28 December, 2023

A couple today from Prog Rock juggernaut, King Crimson. Hope you enjoy.

Today's shave is the one to beat for this week (thus far). Returned to Geo F. Trumper "Eucris" shave cream with its woody, spicy, musky goodness. Great lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger. Two passes with the '49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with Davidoff "Zino Davidoff" AS & EdT.

Geo. F. Trumper "Eucris" Shave Cream / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Davidoff "Zino Davidoff" After Shave Splash & EdT

IMG_3799.jpg

28 December, 2023

A couple today from Prog Rock juggernaut, King Crimson. Hope you enjoy.

Today's shave is the one to beat for this week (thus far). Returned to Geo F. Trumper "Eucris" shave cream with its woody, spicy, musky goodness. Great lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger. Two passes with the '49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with Davidoff "Zino Davidoff" AS & EdT.

Geo. F. Trumper "Eucris" Shave Cream / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Davidoff "Zino Davidoff" After Shave Splash & EdT

View attachment 124262
Nice to see your shave honoring Finland's death metal roots. Seriously, I don't think you can even buy clothes here in any color than black.

29 December, 2023

A couple today from Depeche Mode off their 2005 album, Playing the Angel. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. First use of the Arran "Lochranza" soap / balm set. This was a birthday present from my wife, but USPS saw fit to send it on a tour of the southeast before delivering it. :rolleyes: Medium-light but very nice scent and great lather built with the Zenith B28 boar for two passes with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with the matching balm and vintage Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur EdC.

Arran "Lochranza" Shave Soap / Zenith B28 Boar Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Arran "Lochranza" After Shave Balm / Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur EdC

IMG_3808.jpg

30 December, 2023

A couple today from the one, true King of Rock and Roll (even Elvis said as much), Little Richard. This man was the architect. A lot of people live in the house but he built it. Hope you enjoy.

Very good shave this morning. Got in my antique James Kent Old Foley scuttle/mug and loaded it with a puck of Geo. F. Trumper "Officer's and Gentlemen's" soap. Light but very nice scent and great lather built with the Semogue SOC premium boar brush for two passes with the '49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with Hemingway Accoutrements "Signature" after shave balm and EdP.

Geo. F. Trumper "Officer's and Gentlemen's" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Boar Brush / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Hemingway Accoutrements "Signature" After Shave Balm & EdP

IMG_3815a.jpg

31 December, 2023

Some relaxing jazz for your Sunday. Eleven hours worth.. Should take you into the New Year. Hope you enjoy.

Excellent shave with which to close out the old year. Returned to Truefitt & Hill's "1805" shave cream and balm. Ordered a bottle of the balm with a gift card the missus got me for Christmas. Great scent and lather built with the Riva Manchurian badger brush for two passes with Karve Christopher Bradley razor and I finished with the matching after shave balm and Coty "Aspen" EdC.

Truefitt & Hill "1805" Shave Cream / Riva Brushes Manchurian Badger / Karve CB Razor
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Truefitt & Hill "1805" After Shave Balm / Coty "Aspen" EdC

IMG_3823.jpg

2 January, 2024

Rocking out today with a couple from the Scorpions. Hope you enjoy.

Excellent shave today. Skipped yesterday so today's was especially nice. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Rosa" shave soap and skin food. Beautiful true rose scent and wonderful lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Rosé Noir" HD ST badger brush for two passes with RazoRock Mamba 70 and I finished with the matching skin food splash and Domenico Caraceni "1913" EdT.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Rosa" Shave Soap / WWBW "Rosé Noir" HD ST Badger / RazoRock "Mamba 70"
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Rosa" Skin Food Splash / Domenico Caraceni "1913" EdT

IMG_3839.jpg

3 January, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm featuring a couple from Chilean bassist, singer, América Paz. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Truefitt & Hill, this time going with their "Grafton" shave cream (another Christmas gift from the missus). Lovely spicy, green, floral scent and excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" 24mm HD ST badger brush for two passes with '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Brut "Original" AS & EdT.

Truefitt & Hill "Grafton" Shave Cream / Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" HD ST Badger / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Brut "Original" After Shave Splash & EdT

IMG_3845.jpg

Well, will you look at that? 2nd work day of the week and it's already Wednesday!
giphy.gif

Back