The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

4 January, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had pleasant evening.

Some focus / concentration music for your Thursday. Hope you enjoy.

Whew! Busy day. Just now getting around to posting. Great shave to start the day however. Returned to Martin de Candre and their "Original" shave soap. Great scent and lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Midnight Mint" 26mm ST badger brush for two passes with '49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with Alt-Innsbruck AS & vintage Avon "Black Suede" EdC.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Martin de Candre "Original" Shave Soap / WWBW "Midnight Mint" ST Badger / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Alt-Innsbruck Splash / Vintage Avon "Black Suede" EdC

IMG_3851.jpg

5 January, 2024

Closing out the workweek with a couple from English multi-instrumentalist Paul Ortiz. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Shaving and their "Sun Down" soap and splash. Great old school scent and lather from the CK-6 base built with the Paladin "Falstaff" 2-band select badger brush for two passes with '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching splash & Mont Blanc "Presence" EdT.

Phoenix Shaving "Sun Down" Shave Soap / Paladin "Falstaff" 2-Band Select Badger / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Sun Down" After Shave Splash / Mont Blanc "Presence" EdT

IMG_3862.jpg

6 January, 2024

I know it's not Wednesday but I'm featuring a couple from Siouxsie and the Banshees today. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. New antique scuttle arrived and I popped in a puck of Trumper's "Oxford Blue" mug soap. Very lightly scented but great lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger brush for two passes with '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Paul Sebastian after shave and cologne.

Geo. F. Trumper "Oxford Blue" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Paul Sebastian After Shave Splash & EdC

IMG_3872.jpg

7 January, 2024

It's a Chillwave / Synthwave Sunday today. Hope you enjoy.

Great, albeit humble shave this morning. This was the shave I had planned for New Year's Day, but I stayed up too late the night before and slept in. Following the same belief that having hog jowl and black eye peas on New Year's Day will bring about good luck and prosperity in the coming year, a modest shave will bring about a year full of enjoyable, close and comfortable ones. I wont go so far as to say the Arko soap has a "great" scent, but I like it. The lather, however IS great. Two passes with Supply SE and I finished with Aqua Velva "Musk" aftershave cologne.

Arko Shave Soap / Semogue Galahad C3 Boar Brush / Supply SE
Schick /
Alum / Aqua Velva "Musk" Aftershave Cologne

IMG_3883.jpg

Ok, so I’ve tried Trumper Officer and Gentlemen soap, and I’ve heard a rumor that it has the identical fragrance to their Trumper Oxford Blue. As somebody who has recently used both, are the scents the same to your nose?

Ok, so I’ve tried Trumper Officer and Gentlemen soap, and I’ve heard a rumor that it has the identical fragrance to their Trumper Oxford Blue. As somebody who has recently used both, are the scents the same to your nose?
They’re very close. It’s possible they are identical but the scent on the puck of Oxford Blue that I have is so light it’s hard to say for certain.

8 January, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had great weekend.

A couple from British rockers, The Clash to get your Monday going. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to MdC and their "Nature" shave soap. Fantastically unscented with excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Belfour" ST badger brush. Two passes with the '49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with Myrsol "Don Carlos 1972" aftershave splash and CK One "Shock" EdT.

Martin de Candre 'Nature" Shave Soap / WWBW "Belfour" ST Badger Brush / '49 Gillette "Aristocrat"
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Myrsol "Don Carlos 1972" Aftershave Splash / CK One "Shock" EdT

IMG_3891.jpg

9 January, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Rocking out this morning with a couple from Judas Priest. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to TOBS and their "Sandalwood" collection. Wonderful soapy, spicy cologne scent with excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Voodoo King" ST badger brush. Two passes with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching splash and EdC.

Taylor of Old Bond St. 'Sandalwood" Shave Cream / Rich Yuengel "Voodoo King" ST Badger Brush / '56 Gillette "Super Speed"
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Taylor of Old Bond St. 'Sandalwood" After Shave Lotion & EdC

IMG_3898.jpg

10 January, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm returning to The Go-Go's. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. The new (to me) Yardley shave soap arrived and I used it this morning. No remaining scent whatsoever with this soap, but the lather was excellent. Two passes with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Clubman "Musk" after shave splash and Dana "Canoe" EdT.

Vintage Yardley Shave Soap / Zenith B33 Boar Brush / '61 Gillette "Fatboy"
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Clubman 'Musk" After Shave Splash / Dana "Canoe" EdT

IMG_3906.jpg

Back