The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

11 January, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Featuring one from the power trio The Aristocrats today. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Martin de Candre and their "Fougère" shave soap. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" ST badger brush. Two passes with Rockwell 6S and I finished with vintage Avon "Deep Woods" after shave splash and cologne.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Martin de Candre "Fougère" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" ST Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Vintage Avon 'Deep Woods" After Shave Splash & EdC

IMG_3914.jpg

12 January, 2024

Closing out the workweek with a couple from 80's great, Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to the venerable Proraso "Rinfrescante" (aka "Green") and their "Fougère" shave soap. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Blue Meanie" HMW badger brush. Two passes with the Aristocrat and I finished with the matching balm and YSL "Rive Gauche" EdT.

Proraso "Rinfrescante" Shave Cream / Rich Yuengel "Blue Meanie" HMW Badger Brush / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Proraso "Rinfrescante" After Shave Balm / YSL "Rive Gauche" EdT

IMG_3920.jpg

Last edited:
13 January, 2024

Some Pink Floyd for your Saturday. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and their excellent "Bay Rum" shave soap and AS. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Abalone" HMW badger brush. Two passes with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with the matching Skin Food Splash and balm.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bay Rum" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Abalone" HMW Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bay Rum" Skin Food Splash & Balm

IMG_3927.jpg

Love me some Pink Floyd. Especially nice to hear something that isn’t Dark Side or The Wall. I read somewhere that before they recorded an album, British rockers like the Beatles and their contemporary British musicians flocked to their shows and raved about them.

14 January, 2024

Some "cold weather" music for you today. Hope you enjoy.

Cold here today and it's only going to get colder! There's even snow in the forecast. The temp Wednesday morning is going to be 4°. 🥶

Great shave to start the day, however. The vintage Shulton "Old Spice" shave soap arrived yesterday so I, of course, had to use it this morning. Some scent detectable on the puck and excellent lather built with the Semogue SOC Premium Boar brush. Two passes with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Shulton "Old Spice" after shave lotion and vintage Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC.

Shulton "Old Spice" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Boar Brush / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Shulton "Old Spice" ASL / Avon "Brisk Spice" EdC

IMG_3932.jpg

Love me some Pink Floyd. Especially nice to hear something that isn’t Dark Side or The Wall. I read somewhere that before they recorded an album, British rockers like the Beatles and their contemporary British musicians flocked to their shows and raved about them.
It is because they were and are ( post Roger Waters) are the greatest band EVER! 😃

15 January, 2024

Rocking out to some Queensrÿche today. From 1986 here is their third album Rage For Order. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave thus morning. Returned to Fine and their excellent "Santal Absolut" shave soap. Wonderful AoS Sandalwood scent and excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Midnight Mint" badger brush. Two passes with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Art of Shaving "Sandalwood" after shave balm and EdT.

Fine Accoutrements "Santal Absolut" Shave Soap / WWBW "Midnight Mint" ST Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Art of Shaving "Sandalwood" After Shave Balm & EdT

IMG_3937.jpg

16 January, 2024

A retro Synthwave mix for you on this cold Tuesday. Hope you enjoy.

Very cold this morning. Current temp is 12° F with a wind chill of -1° (very rare here). Not much snow yesterday but a lot of sleet and ice. Working remotely today. Great shave to start the day. Returned to Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap. Lightly scented and excellent post shave face feel. Excellent lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger brush. Two passes with the RazoRock Mamba 70 and I finished with Aqua Velva "Musk" after shave & cologne.

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger Brush / RazoRock Mamba 70
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Aqua Velva "Musk" After Shave & Cologne

IMG_3942.jpg

17 January, 2024

Its "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm featuring a couple from The Pretenders. Hope you enjoy.

Very cold again this morning. Current temp is 8° F. Working remotely again today. Great shave to start the day, though. Returned to the vintage Yardley shave soap. Great lather built with the Zenith B28 boar brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with vintage English Leather "Timberline" after shave splash & Dana "Canoe" EdC.

Yardley Shaving Soap / Zenith B28 Pro Boar Brush / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / English Leather "Timberline" After Shave / Dana "Canoe" EdC

IMG_3950.jpg

17 January, 2024

Its "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm featuring a couple from The Pretenders. Hope you enjoy.

Very cold again this morning. Current temp is 8° F. Working remotely again today. Great shave to start the day, though. Returned to the vintage Yardley shave soap. Great lather built with the Zenith B28 boar brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with vintage English Leather "Timberline" after shave splash & Dana "Canoe" EdC.

Yardley Shaving Soap / Zenith B28 Pro Boar Brush / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / English Leather "Timberline" After Shave / Dana "Canoe" EdC

View attachment 125195
I love Chrissie Hynde’s voice. Smoky and sexy, like a nightclub singer. The Pretenders opened for the J Geils Band on their Centerfold tour in the early 1980s. They were excellent. They were from Akron, only a couple of hours from here.

Back