The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

19 December, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Got a couple from pianist & composer, Michael Gettel. Hope you enjoy.*

Great shave this morning. Returned to Martin de Candre "Original" shave soap. Wonderful scent and excellent lather built with the Zenith B33 boar brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Epsilon 03 "Amber" after shave lotion.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Martin de Candre "Original" Shave Soap / Zenith B33 Boar Brush / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Epsilon 03 "Amber" After Shave Lotion

IMG_3740.jpg

20 December, 2023

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm featuring a couple of different bands, each fronted by female vocalists. These are also Christmas songs performed by Goth acts off a 1995 album called Excelsis - A Dark Noel. Hope you enjoy.*

Great shave this morning. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials, this time going with Frank's "Clean" shave soap frim his Pure Collection. Great lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Lagoon" ST Badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Aqua Velva "Musk" after shave lotion.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" Shave Soap / WWBW "Lagoon" ST Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Aqua Velva "Musk" After Shave Lotion

IMG_3745.jpg

I wonder if Elon wears Aqua Velva Musk? 🤔
Things that make you go hmmmmm...

giphy.gif

21 December, 2023

Today, I'm going with another Christmas album that was a staple of my youth. Hope you enjoy.*

Great shave this morning. As far as I know, I've never used (in over 18 years of traditional wet shaving) any Truefitt & Hill products. So I ordered a tube of the 1805 shave cream to try. Outstanding fresh, oceanic scent and great lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Canyon" ST badger brush for two passes with the Karve Christopher Bradley razor and I finished (keeping with the aquatic vibe) with Davidoff "Cool Water" AS & EdT

Truefitt & Hill "1805" Shave Cream / WWBW "Canyon" ST Badger Brush / Karve CB Razor
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Davidoff "Cool Water" After Shave Splash & EdT

IMG_3752.jpg

22 December, 2023

Today, I'm going with another Christmas album (my mom's favorite) that was always on the turntable when I was young. Hope you enjoy.*

Great birthday shave this morning. Gonna be warmer here today so I decided to go with nice fougere scents. Wonderful scent and great lather from the Barrister and Mann "Fougère Classique" shave soap built with the new (to me) Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger brush for two passes with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching splash and Penhaligon's "English Fern" EdT. I love the scent of the B&M soap / splash. I may have to invest in a bottle of Houbigant "Fougere Royale".

Not much actually planned for today. I do want to go get a haircut and thought about going and donating a pint of blood.

Barrister and Mann "Fougère Classique" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Barrister and Mann "Fougere Classique" After Shave Splash / Penhaligon's "English Fern" EdT

IMG_3757.jpg

I do want to go get a haircut and thought about going and donating a pint of blood.
Perhaps you could combine the two? Maybe an enterprising old timey barber could just pull a couple of teeth 🦷 and collect a pint for you. You know, to save time on your birthday. You’re welcome.

Happy Birthday!

23 December, 2023

Taking a break from the seasonal tunes for some Chillwave. Hope you enjoy.*

Great shave today. Returned to Saponificio Varesino and their "Manna di Sicilia" soap and ASL. Wonderful scent and great lather built with the Riva ST badger brush for two passes with the '49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with the matching splash.

Had a great birthday yesterday. Wasn't able to donate blood, but I saw where they're having a blood drive near me on the 29th. Plan to go and donate then. Leaving later to go have (belated) birthday dinner with my wife at Rock N' Roll Sushi.

Saponificio Varesino "Manna di Sicilia" Shave Soap / Riva Brushes ST Badger / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Manna di Sicilia" After Shave Lotion

IMG_3762.jpg

24 December, 2023

Back to the seasonal sounds for your Christmas Eve. Hope you enjoy.*

'Twas the day before Christmas, when all through the house..
The AC was running because I live in the south.. 🎅 🎄

It feels like anything but Christmas here. Temps close to the 70's today with rising humidity and gusty winds. Also, we have rain moving in over night and continuing through most of the day tomorrow. So, instead of trying to force anything scent wise for my shave, I decided to go with lime. Should work better than some of the stronger, cooler-weather friendly seasonal scents. Wonderful scent from the Castle Forbes Lime cream and great lather built with the QED Select Manchurian badger brush for two passes with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with vintage Old Spice Fresh Lime ASL.

Castle Forbes "Lime Essential Oil" Shave Cream / QED Select Manchurian Badger / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Shulton Old Spice "Fresh Lime" After Shave Lotion

IMG_3768.jpg

25 December, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you've had a wonderful holiday.

Some relaxing jazz for your Christmas evening. Hope you enjoy.*

Gave in a had a seasonal shave today. Went back to Noble Otter's "'Tis The Season" soap and splash. Wonderful scent and great lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" ST badger brush for two passes with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with the matching splash.

Great day. My brother and sister came over and we had an early dinner of Puerto Rican classics including pasteles (like a Puerto Rican tamale), yellow rice and peas, pork & sazón seasoned pinto beans & tostones (fried plantains). We had fruit pastries made with guava paste, topped with powered sugar and coffee to finish. Great day in all. We reminisced about our parents who are no longer with us, remembering all the great times we had in Christmases past, looked through old photographs and I even brought out my bottle of "Jovan Musk for Men" after shave to which they both laughed, saying, "Yep! That smells like dad".. It was a good day.

Now, I'm having a dram of Lagavulin and relaxing to the jazz.

IMG_3778.jpg

Hope you have a pleasant evening. :)

Noble Otter "'Tis The Season" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" 24mm HD Badger / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Noble Otter "'Tis The Season" After Shave Splash

IMG_3773.jpg

Last edited:
26 December, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had wonderful Christmas.

A couple from Aussie metallers, I Built The Sky today. Hope you enjoy.*

Great shave today. Returned to Furbo, this time with their "Blu" shave soap. Supposed to be based on FLoid Blue, it's a little softer with a hint of florals to my nose. Wonderful lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Lagoon" ST badger brush for two passes with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Epsilon "Mediterranean Blue" AS.

Furbo "Blu" Shave Soap / WWBW "Lagoon" ST Badger / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / Epsilon "Blue Mediterranean" After Shave Lotion

IMG_3780.jpg

Back