The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

17 August, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

A couple from English rockers, The Fixx today. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning! Went back to Taylor of Old Bond Street's "Mr. Taylor's" shave cream. Excellent scent and lather built with the Badlands Shaving ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the RazoRock "Mamba 70" and I finished with Pinaud "Clubman" after shave lotion and Dana "Canoe" EdC.

Hope you have a great day. :)

TOBS "Mr. Taylor's" Shave Cream / Badlands Shaving ST Badger / RazoRock "Mamba 70"
Gillette Minora SS / Alum / Pinaud "Clubman" After Shave Lotion / Dana "Canoe" EdC

IMG-2920.jpg

Oh goody....I can tell my Fixx backstage story. So the band I roadied for played all over LA and Orange county. But when I first started with them, they were playing mostly small clubs with local bands. After about 4 months, they finally landed a show with a major opening act....and it was the Fixx. I head down to the show a few hours early, like usual, to set up the gear and run through sound check (normally between noon and 2 pm...with the show starting at 7 pm). When we arrived, the Fixx was already there and were nearly done with their sound check (most major bands show up late and take up most of the sound check time) so we had plenty of time for ours. During the sound check, the members of the Fixx were sitting around the backstage area listening to us and nodding along to the songs. After we finished up, as was the norm for my friends, we went to get some food nearby. When we got back to the club, the guitar tech for the Fixx said that Jamie (the guitar player for the Fixx) was looking for us and wanted us to stop by their tour bus. So we all headed over to the bus and they opened up the bus and invited us in. It was kind of cool just sitting back and listening to some of the people I watched on MTV chatting with my friends about the music each one of them were making. Eventually I said I had to go check the equipment and Cy (the lead singer for the Fixx) told me to have a great show. It was my first backstage experience and it was so neat and so not like the experience with Missing Persons.

What’s the scent profile for Mr Taylor’s?
From Maggard Razors site:

Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Taylor shaving cream has a manly, crisp and spicy fragrance in which tarragon, lavender and incense combine with hints of green galbanum and citrus.

To my nose it's just a nice, old school cologne fragrance.

I head down to the show a few hours early, like usual, to set up the gear and run through sound check (normally between noon and 2 pm...with the show starting at 7 pm).
Way to milk the clock, Steven! Or was that not the main point of the story?

18 August, 2023

Closing out the workweek with a couple of classics from Led Zeppelin. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. New soap day with the Ariana & Evans "Cuban Highball". Nice fruity, boozy scent with superb lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Rosé Noir" ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and I finished with Czech & Speake "Cuba" after shave & EdC.

Ariana & Evans "Cuban Highball" Shave Soap / WWBW "Rosé Noir" ST Badger / Rockwell 6S / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Czech & Speake "Cuba" After Shave Splash / Czech & Speake "Cuba" EdC

IMG-2926.jpg

19 August, 2023

Prince's Greatest Hits for your Saturday afternoon (my time anyway) listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Busy day out running errands with the wife but the day started with a great shave. Been a very long time since I last used "The Dead Sea" soap & splash from RazoRock so I remedied that today. Performance wise, this has always been my favorite soap from them. Always great lather with excellent slip and cushion and the post shave face feel is so nice. Nice albeit light scent, very spicy & earthy with the rosemary, saffron and cannabis but I never have been able to detect any lemon or sandalwood. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer .68-P and I finished with the matching splash.

RazoRock "The Dead Sea" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Boar / RazoRock Game Changer
Gillette Platinum / Alum / RazoRock "The Dead Sea" After Shave Splash

IMG-2930.jpg

I searched for a decent Prince’s greatest hits album for the missus on her birthday. It is surprisingly difficult to get a fairly good, all-encompassing one. I ended up having to purchase an old CD that was widely and highly recommended as one of the better releases, and convert it through iTunes.

20 August, 2023

Some relaxing Synthwave / Retrowave for your Sunday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today.. Went back to Stirling Soap Co. and their "Deep Blue Sea" shave soap. Fantastic lather built with the Rich Yuengel HD silver tip brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Henson AL13 and I finished with Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" ASB & parfum.

Stirling Soap Co. "Deep Blue Sea" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel HD ST Badger / Henson AL13 / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" After Shave Balm / Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" Parfum

IMG-2940.jpg

21 August, 2023

Got a couple of classic rockers from English Prog masters, Yes. Hope you enjoy.

Excellent shave today. Went back ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's wonderful "Bay Rum" soap and "Tortola" skin food splash. Excellent scent and great lather built with the Badlands Shaving "Parrothead" ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Supply Co. SE and I finished with the "Tortola" skin food splash and Hemingway Accoutrements "Nature Isle" EdP.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bay Rum" Shave Soap / Badlands Shaving "Parrothead" ST Badger / Supply SE
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Tortola" Skin Food Splash / Hemingway Accoutrements "Nature Isle" EdP

IMG-2950.jpg

22 August, 2023

Got a couple from English musician, singer, songwriter, Paul Young. These songs also feature some tasty fretless bass lines courtesy of the great Pino Palladino. Hope you enjoy.

The word for today and the rest of the week is "mentholated". Say it with me, kids! Men-tho-lat-ed. Hottest temps of the year (so far) are expected through the weekend. Air temps will be in the upper 90's ~ low 100's with feels-like temps from 110° ~ 115°. Went back to C.O. Bigelow's shave cream but applied a generous helping of Phoenix Shaving's "Ice Cube" preshave soap as well. Wonderfully frigid! Great lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Mint Chip" HD ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the new Badlands Shaving Cocobolo DE and I finished with Epsilon "Amber" after shave splash and Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdP.

C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream / WWBW "Mint Chip" HD ST Badger / Badlands Shaving DE
Alum / Epsilon "Amber" After Shave Splash / Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC

IMG-2956.jpg

23 August, 2023

A couple of tunes this morning from English New Wave artist, Peter Godwin. Hope you enjoy.

Another hot day and along with it another frigidly refreshing shave. Went back to Abbate Y La Mantia and their "Don Jose" soap. The soap is already mentholated but I kicked it up a notch by using the Phoenix Shaving "Ice Cube" preshave soap. Refreshingly cool tropical scent of coconut and banana with superb lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Lagoon" ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and I finished with Williams "Aqua Velva" after shave (with some Grooming Essentials "Ice Drops" added) & Etat Libre d'Orange "Cologne" EdP.

Abbate Y La Mantia "Don Jose" Shave Soap / WWBW "Lagoon" ST Badger / Rockwell 6S / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Williams "Aqua Velva" After Shave Splash / Etat Libre d'Orange "Cologne" EdP

IMG-2971.jpg

Back