The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

11 August, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Rounding out the workweek with some musical fireworks courtesy of OG 70's Fusion juggernaut, Return to Forever. Hope you enjoy.

Best shave of the week (so far) this morning! Went back to RazoRock and their excellent "P.160" shave soap. This is such a low-key killer soap that I'm sure flies under the radar of most out there because they're put off by the low price tag. Nothing at that price can be good, right? Wrong! Excellent classic Italian marzipan scent with a superb lather built with the Semogue SOC Premium Boar brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and I finished with Epsilon "Blue Mediterranean" after shave splash and Dior "Sauvage" parfum.

Hope you have a great day. :)

RazoRock "P.160" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Boar / Rockwell 6S / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Epsilon "Blue Mediterranean" After Shave Splash / Dior "Sauvage" Parfum

IMG-2880.jpg

12 August, 2023

I'm needing some chill-out music for my Saturday so here are some relaxing sounds from Chill Music Lab. Hope you enjoy.

Late post but great shave to start the day. Went back to Martin de Candre and their wonderful "Agrumes" shave soap. Wonderfully bright and refreshing scent! Excellent lather as well built with the Riva Brushes Italian heather briar ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the RazoRock "Mamba 70" and I finished with Myrsol "Agua de Limon" after shave splash (with some Grooming Essentials "Liquid Ice" for a nice menthol chill) and Mancera "Cedrat Boise" EdP.

Martin de Candre "Agrumes" Shave Soap / Riva Brushes Italian Heather Briar ST Badger / RazoRock "Mamba 70"
Gillette Minora SS / Alum / Myrsol "Agua de Limon" After Shave Splash / Mancera "Cedrat Boise" EdP

IMG-2885.jpg

13 August, 2023

Some Pink Floyd for your Sunday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Excellent shave today. Went back to the Supply SE and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Wonderfully smooth and comfortable shave from this razor. Really impressed with it. Great lather as usual from the MWF built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 for two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with Alt-Innsbruck and Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger / Supply SE
Alum / Alt-Innsbruck EdC / Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

IMG-2890.jpg

14 August, 2023

Monday... Blah!! Back to work with a couple of "work" songs. Hope you enjoy.

Very nice but bleary-eyed shave this morning. Got a little too aggressive on the left side of my face and now have a small area of razor burn beside my cheek bone. Oh well.. Lesson learned. Went back to Abbate Y La Mantia and their wonderful "Neroli Siciliano" shave soap. Nice citrus, floral scent with a little hint of woods way in the back. Excellent lather built with the Zenith "Chubby Scrubby" boar brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the RazoRock "Mamba 70" and I finished with Acqua di Parma Colonia" after shave splash "Essenza" EdC.

Abbate Y La Mantia "Neroli Siciliano" Shave Soap / Zenith "Chubby Scrubby" Boar / RazoRock "Mamba 70"
Gillette Minora SS / Alum / Acqua di Parma "Colonia" After Shave Splash / Acqua di Parma "Essenza" EdC

IMG-2899.jpg

15 August, 2023

Got a couple of tunes from Sting's excellent first solo album, The Dream of the Blue Turtles. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Had another shave lined up but changed at the last minute and decided to go with Phoenix Shaving's "Sun Down". Excellent old school scent with superb lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Belfour" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and I finished with the matching after shave splash and YSL "Rive Gauche" EdT.

PAA "Sun Down" Shave Soap / WWBW "Belfour" Sweet Spot Badger / Rockwell 6S / Gillette Platinum
Alum / PAA "Sun Down" After Shave Splash / Yves Saint Laurent "Rive Gauche" EdT

IMG-2907.jpg

I've been lucky enough to see Sting several times solo (and twice with The Police!!) but I got to see him twice on the first solo tour (an advantage of living in a big town like Los Angeles is that you often get stops at the beginning and end of a tour). The first solo show was at an outdoor arena in early summer and it was such a perfect show. Sting was elated to be playing music with such talented musicians and as the sole focus of the spotlight....he seemed to be very happy. These days he seems a bit....gruff. I miss happy Sting.

I've been lucky enough to see Sting several times solo (and twice with The Police!!) but I got to see him twice on the first solo tour (an advantage of living in a big town like Los Angeles is that you often get stops at the beginning and end of a tour). The first solo show was at an outdoor arena in early summer and it was such a perfect show. Sting was elated to be playing music with such talented musicians and as the sole focus of the spotlight....he seemed to be very happy. These days he seems a bit....gruff. I miss happy Sting.
REally, so you are a Sting fan, So is Sharon BTW, what kind of Sting Stuff do you have.....I am doing research.......

13 August, 2023

Some Pink Floyd for your Sunday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Excellent shave today. Went back to the Supply SE and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Wonderfully smooth and comfortable shave from this razor. Really impressed with it. Great lather as usual from the MWF built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 for two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with Alt-Innsbruck and Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger / Supply SE
Alum / Alt-Innsbruck EdC / Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

View attachment 116853
WHATEVER YOU DO MARK!

Do NOT! Listen to Roger Waters re-make of this Album.... Here is a Taste...... He single-handedly ruined the song, and purportedly the rest of the album will be like this.

It is soo Bad...:sick::sick::sick::sick:

WHATEVER YOU DO MARK!

Do NOT! Listen to Roger Waters re-make of this Album.... Here is a Taste...... He single-handedly ruined the song, and purportedly the rest of the album will be like this.

It is soo Bad...:sick::sick::sick::sick:
Don't know if I want to listen to that... :oops:

I triple dog Dare you, ROFL
A slight breach of etiquette there, my friend.. Going straight to the triple dog dare...

giphy.gif

16 August, 2023

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm going with a couple from the Dale Bozzio led band, Missing Persons. Hope you enjoy. Interesting nugget, Dale, her husband Terry and guitarist Warren Cuccurullo all worked with Frank Zappa prior to forming Missing Persons.

Excellent shave today. New soap day with the Mike's Natural Soaps "Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-ylang. The bergamot is most prevalent to my nose with hints of spicy, floral notes (courtesy of the ylang-ylang I'm guessing). Can't really detect much orange, but overall it's a great scent. Returned to the Supply SE as well. Still impressed with this razor. Easy to use and provides a great shave. Great lather built with the Riva Brushes "Purpleheart" Manchurian brush for two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with Epsilon "Blue Mediterranean" after shave splash and Creed "Bois du Portugal" EdP.

Mike's Natural Soaps "Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-ylang" Shave Soap / Riva Brushes Manchurian Badger / Supply SE
Alum / Epsilon "Blue Mediterranean After Shave Splash / Creed "Bois du Portugal" EdP

IMG-2913.jpg

Last edited:
The Bozzio's......ah...one of my favorite backstage stories to tell. So the band I roadied for was opening for Missing Persons and we were waiting for them to finish up sound check at the Anaheim House of Blues. Terry had set up his drums at the front of the stage left and had no intention of moving it so we were all going to be jammed into the right side of the stage for the entire set. Dale spent the entire sound check cursing at either the poor sod they hired to be their keyboard player or her ex-husband, Terry, while their kids waited in the center of the room to be taken to Disneyland. I was standing next to the stage where Warren was standing and after a particularly long tirade between Dale and Terry, Warren turned to me and said, "I can't wait to go back to Duran next month.....I've had an ass-load of these two". I gained new respect for Warren in that moment.

Back