The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

26 August, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Took a break from the journal for a while but WMRK Internet Radio is back on the air (All Hits All The Time). And so let's get it going with a couple from the 1987 release from the band YES. From the album Big Generator, here are "Rhythm of Love" & "Love Will Find a Way".

Hope you enjoy.

New soap day! First use of the new CK "Obsession" inspired "ShaveLine NBD" by Strike Gold Shave. Great scent and performance. Not quite the same scent as Obsession out of the tub, but once lathered on the face it becomes very similar. The soap is a little thirsty but once I got the water ratio right it produced three passes worth of slick, cushioning lather. Finished with a splash of "Obsession" after shave (with added skin food) and a spray of the EdT. Wonderful!!

Hope you have a great day. :)

"ShaveLine NBD" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Majesty" 26mm Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / CK "Obsession" After Shave Splash + H.A.S. + ETHOS Reméde Serum / CK "Obsession" EdT

IMG-7015.jpg

Not quite the same scent as Obsession out of the tub, but once lathered on the face it becomes very similar. The soap is a little thirsty but once I got the water ratio right it produced three passes worth of slick, cushioning lather.
I very much agree with these two points. It is very good with the aroma when lathered. It just took quite a bit of water to get it slick. Certainly a good pickup for the Obsession fan.

27 August, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Based on this morning's shave results, the word for today is "smooth"! And so for today's Morning Music segment, we're featuring "smooth" songs for your Friday. Hope you enjoy!! :cool:

"Smooth"

It's a word that can be used both as an adjective and adverb. And both uses apply to this morning's shave. I must say, the Nancy Boy shave cream is quite possibly the best performing cream I've used. Ever! This stuff is super concentrated so a little goes a long way, and produces a slick, cushioning lather that IMO rivals the best tallow soaps out there. The cream's fragrance has a very nice, light peppermint and herbal note to it. I definitely get lavender (along with peppermint) but there's something else in there as well that I can't put my finger on. Popped a fresh Gillette Platinum in my Rockwell 6S (plate 4) and the whiskers practically leapt off of their own accord. Finished with the matching balm and a spray of Tommy Bahama "Martinique" EdT. Great end-of-the-workweek shave!

Nancy Boy "Signature" Shave Cream / YAQI 22mm "White Knight" Synth / Rocwell 6S (plate 4) / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Nancy Boy "Signature" After Shave Balm / Tommy Bahama Set Sail "Martinique" EdT

IMG-7026.jpg

30 August, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

It's Monday so I figure we need to just ease into the week with something low-key for today's Morning Music segment. Here's a couple of "Yacht Rock" gems from the 70's. Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave today! I observed "No-Shave Sunday" yesterday so that means today's shave was especially nice! Got in Frank's / @Dragonsbeard new soap in the new F Base (F for "firm") and, as with all Frank's wares, I was blown away by the scent and performance. Three passes for a DFS+ result. Finished with a splash of Frank's "Clean" skin food splash with a little RazoRock "Essential Oil of Lime" AS mixed in and a spray of Versace "Eros" EdT.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Fresco" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Synth / Rockwell 6S (plate 4) / Gillette Platinum
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" Skin Food Splash + RR "Essential Oil of Lime" AS / Versace "Eros" EdT

IMG-7050.jpg

Very nice shave! Hope it’s a good Monday for ya Mark!
Thanks Chris! You too. :)

Getting ready to deal with the remnants of Ida.. It'll only be a tropical storm when it comes through, but I'll be on the right-hand side of the storm where the worst weather is. Got a chance at flooding and tornadoes. Hopefully it wont get too bad.

Thanks Chris! You too. :)

Getting ready to deal with the remnants of Ida.. It'll only be a tropical storm when it comes through, but I'll be on the right-hand side of the storm where the worst weather is. Got a chance at flooding and tornadoes. Hopefully it wont get too bad.
I’ll be hopin for that too! 🙏

31 August, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you're doing well on this, the last day of August.

In a Kansas mood this morning so here are a couple of my all-time favorites! Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning with the Fine "Barber Blue" shave soap. Great Blue Floid clone and fantastic lather. I gotta say, the old soaps are great, but loading a brush is so much easier with Fine's new soaps. Finished with a splash of Epsilon "Blue Mediterranean" after shave splash (with added skin food), and a spray of AdP Blu Mediterraneo "Fico di Amalfi" EdT.

Fine Accoutrements "Barber Blue" Shave Soap / PAA "Phantom Aerolite" Synth / Rockwell 6S (plate 4) / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Epsilon "Blue Mediterranean" After Shave Splash / Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo "Fico di Amalfi" EdT

IMG-7056.jpg

I had to learn Point of Know Return for a band I was in a few years back. I was very confused. Since there is pretty much no guitar in the song, I was told to just learn the keyboard parts…even though we had a keyboard player 🤷🏻‍♂️

I had to learn Point of Know Return for a band I was in a few years back. I was very confused. Since there is pretty much no guitar in the song, I was told to just learn the keyboard parts…even though we had a keyboard player 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think it's great that they wanted to do it in the first place! 🤩

Back