The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

20 July, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Going in a little different direction for today's Morning Music segment. Been listening to the music of Thomas Bergersen (both solo and with 2 Steps From Hell) for years. I awoke with this music in my head today and wanted to feature it here. From the album Sun, here is "Before Time" and "Creation of Earth". Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today! First use of the new WSP limited edition "Blackbeard" soap. Great lather as always from WSP and the scent was wonderful! Nice pipe tobacco vibe with notes of tobacco (duh!), cherry, vanilla, patchouli and cloves. Also used a new blade today. Had been reading about the Parker DE blades online and finally got a chance to try them when an order arrived containing a complimentary pack. Decided to stick with the Rockwell Model T so I could try it at various levels of aggressiveness. Set it to 4 for today's shave and it was a bit mild. Will up it to 5 for tomorrow's shave. Finished with a splash of Ogallala "Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns" aftershave splash (plus skin food) and a spray of Phoenix Shaving's "Atomic Age Bay Rum" EdP. Fantastic!

Hope you have a great day! :)

Proraso Preshave Cream / WSP Formula T "Blackbeard" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Gold Coast" Synth / Rockwell Model T
Parker Premium Platinum / Alum / Ogallala "Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns" After Shave Splash / PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" EdP

IMG-6757.jpg

20 July, 2021

Going in a little different direction for today's Morning Music segment. Been listening to the music of Thomas Bergersen (both solo and with 2 Steps From Hell) for years. I awoke with this music in my head today and wanted to feature it here. From the album Sun, here is "Before Time" and "Creation of Earth". Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today! First use of the new WSP limited edition "Blackbeard" soap. Great lather as always from WSP and the scent was wonderful! Nice pipe tobacco vibe with notes of tobacco (duh!), cherry, vanilla, patchouli and cloves. Also used a new blade today. Had been reading about the Parker DE blades online and finally got a chance to try them when an order arrived containing a complimentary pack. Decided to stick with the Rockwell Model T so I could try it at various levels of aggressiveness. Set it to 4 for today's shave and it was a bit mild. Will up it to 5 for tomorrow's shave. Finished with a splash of Ogallala "Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns" aftershave splash (plus skin food) and a spray of Phoenix Shaving's "Atomic Age Bay Rum" EdP. Fantastic!

Hope you have a great day! :)

Proraso Preshave Cream / WSP Formula T "Blackbeard" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Gold Coast" Synth / Rockwell Model T
Parker Premium Platinum / Alum / Ogallala "Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns" After Shave Splash / PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" EdP

View attachment 56023
Nice shave, nice tunes

22 July, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening,

Apologies for my absence yesterday. The day started off badly and never really got better. LOL! Little time for anything other than lurking. Besides, I woke up late and didn't even get a shave in. But you know what that means! Extra nice shave after skipping a day. And it was just that, nice! Great in fact! But first..

Let's get some tunes going this morning and today I'm featuring Thelonious Monk's 1963 album, Monk's Dream. Hope you enjoy!

As I said, fantastic shave this morning. Not only because because I wasn't able to yesterday but because of items used. First use of MacDuff's "Leatherbound Book" soap. Fantastic lather and interesting scent. Finished with a splash of Stirling Soap Co.'s Eucalyptus Mint witch hazel & aloe and a spray of Cool Water EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Proraso Preshave Cream / MacDuffs Soap Co. "Leatherbound Book" Shave Soap / YAQI "Arctic Sky" Synth / Rockwell Model T
Alum / Parker Platinum / Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Eucalyptus Mint" Witch Hazel & Aloe / "Cool Water" EdT

IMG-6766.jpg

Wow, this is some fabulous music (though I'm not gonna listen to all 46 minutes)! This is square smack dab in the middle of the jazz period I favor most, that from late 1950s - mid 1960s. Blue Note has reissued most, perhaps all, records on excellent-sounding CDs. A local record store was selling them for $10-11 each, and I collected dozens of them, particularly those engineered by Rudy Van Gelder, who never put out a poor quality record.

27 July, 2021

Good morning Cadre!

Great four-day weekend! Busy, busy, busy! Didn't have much time to do more than lurk. Had two shows with the country band this past weekend, with one of them being outside (birthday party). Felt like it was 800Ā°!!! šŸ˜©ā˜€ļøšŸ˜“šŸ”„. It was awful! We did have a canopy and fans but it really didn't help much. Got a terrible heat rash all over! But, blocked sweat ducts aside, it was an enjoyable time off.

Let's get some tunes rolling for your Tuesday morning. Here's a triple play from bassist extraordinaire, John Patitucci from his 1988 solo debut. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today. Skipped yesterday so today's was especially nice! New soap day as well. Ordered a puck of SV "Manna di Sicilia"and it was fantastic! A little stronger scent wise than the other SV soaps I have (70th Anniv. soap is close to the same strength) but with the same great lather and post-shave face feel I always get. Finished with a splash of Blue Floid (with skin food) and a spray of Versace "Eau Fraiche". Wonderful!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Proraso Preshave Cream / Saponificio Varesino "Manna di Sicilia" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Rally The Valley" Synth
Rockwell Model T / Parker Platinum" / Alum / Blue Floid (+ skin food) / Versace "Eau Fraiche" EdT

IMG-6784.jpg

29 July, 2021

Holy shnikes it's hot here this week! Mid to upper 90's today and with a 74Ā° dew point, that puts the feels-like temp at somewhere between 105Ā° ~ 107Ā° or basically, the "armpit of Satan"... So I needed to find some appropriate music for today. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today. Always a great lather from the Spearhead Shaving Co. soaps and the aftershave is just as nice. Finished with a spray of Stirling's "Island Man" EdT. Not much more needs to be said. Fantastic!

Hope you have a great day. šŸ”„šŸ˜©

Proraso Preshave Cream / YAQI "Atlantis"Synth / Spearhead Shaving Co. "Sea Spice Lime" Shave Soap / Rockwell Model T
Parker Platinum / Alum / Spearhead Shaving Co. "Sea Spice Lime" Aftershave Toner / Stirling Soap Co. "Island Man" EdT

IMG-6790.jpg

Last edited:
Iā€™ll sub in for @bentheduck and say ā€œStay hydrated!ā€
Yes!! :oops:

giphy.gif

Back