The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: jectah
  • Blade: question mark?
  • Brush: TSC 2nd anniversary
  • Soap: CBL Master Barber Green Valley Links
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original
  • Frag: Acqua di Parma Colonia
  • Music: Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
It's Saturday/Tuesday. I'm back at work again for a mandatory 14 hours. I'm only a little salty because there's a good chance that I'll end up running more calls than a truck that probably won't move again for the rest of the shift. That's the dumbest thing ever, but I just work here. I'm still tired from this morning. We had a gnarly wreck. I think we all learned a little bit from the situation. I'm still pissed that one of the lesser experienced persons straight out told my patient that it was all her fault. However true that might be, that's never something you tell that person. I think the reoccurring theme for the shift was not getting stuck on things. My first call, there were a few things that could've been useful weren't immediately available to me. Everybody stayed stuck on what we didn't have, while I was grabbing for the next option. Same thing for the wreck. Don't let the obstacle stall your progress, find a way around.

I totally forgot that I was going to use Pharaoh's Dreamsicle like I told @fhalden. Oops. But I also forgot that I have the new CBL soap base hidden in my drawer. I don't know what it is about these latest releases, but I'm not getting any scents, with the exception of ROS, which is just perfect. Anyway. I had a phenomenal lather and the slickness was off the dang charts. I really enjoyed the performance of this base. The seemingly absent scent made it super easy to pair a frag. Acqua do Parma is king this week. Geez, this is classy stuff.

IMG_20200509_153951.jpg

Lots of screaming. If you can get past the screaming and listen to the lyrics, they're really quite poetic in nature. The vocalist has a master's degree in literature, used to teach English, and is a published author. The song posted above is actually about himself, "I'm the idiot." He's had quite a battle with drugs and alcohol and despite his lyrical prowess, he denies that he's anything that us fans think of him.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell
It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself
All I want is for everyone to come to hell
There we can be free an learn to love ourselves

I bought my mom some concha slippers. I don't know how to describe what a concha is without looking it up. Google it. She got them this morning and told me that she loves them, but "I'm gonna want conchas all the time now." I'm glad she liked them, although she didn't believe that I bought them at all. I think that's enough life lessons and Mexican sweet bread talk. I'm gonna go read or something. I hope you're all enjoying your weekend. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

• Razor: Rockwell 6S, R6
  • Blade: Wizamet, new
  • Brush: Easter
  • Soap: Stirling Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
  • Frag: Jean Paul Gauither Le Male
  • Music: The Fall of Troy - Doppelgänger
Hello again! I pretty much spent that last two days sleeping. The 14 hours at work was fairly uneventful, just one call, no big deal. I didn't get a lot of sleep, but by choice. Venessa and I started watching some car restoration shows on Netflix and I turned off the TV at 1. I'm gonna pay for that, but it's alright, I've crawled home from worse.

I finally got around to having Pharaoh's Dreamsicle and it was a lovely shave. It's such a nice, smooth orange creamsicle scent. The orange isn't in your face, which is probably my favorite part. Now that I think about it, this is my only orange forward set by far. I somehow went several months without using a Wizamet and I was reminded why I bought so many. Geez these things are awesome. I regret not grabbing one sooner. I had a lovely shave that was barely not BBS. Le Male is a great pairing too, something about the mint and Pharaoh's Dreamsicle mixes nicely to my nose.

IMG_20200512_053940.jpg

More screaming, sorry I think? Thomas Erak is one hell of a guitarist. I had to chance to seem him play at Warped during his short stay with Chiodos. TFOT's last album actually has a couple of instrumental versions if you're not crazy about the screaming.

The truck is checked off and now we're just getting learned on transmission stuff because why not. We'll probably get around the station duties eventually. I hope all is well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Nice setup Ben!

Hazmat to transmissions ... man you are all over the place.
Gotta stay busy! My partner used to be a diesel mechanic so his knowledge is rubbing off on me.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"Oh hi. Is Ben working today? My transmission is slipping between 2nd and 3rd and I was wondering if he could come take a look"
I would lose it if I ever got that call. Don't put that evil on me!

• Razor: Rockwell 6S, R6
  • Blade: Wizamet (1)
  • Brush: Pea Soup
  • Soap: Noble Otter Barrbarr
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Noble Otter Barrbarr
  • Frag: none
  • Music: New Found Glory - Forever + Ever x Infinity
I've been awake for about 3 hours today since 6:30. Yesterday was a long day, ending with a long morning with a shed on fire at 3. I had fun, though. I've really been enjoying my time at work, and I've been a lot less grumpy for some reason. I think it's because I don't have the stress of a class, so it's probably for the best that I didn't pick up that class that I was thinking about. I'm happier, my partner is happier and our communication is a lot better. Back to the fire. I put it out. That's about it.

I got home, took a shower, and needed a shave. I was going to use a lavender scent, but I figured I'd rather not have to dig through my drawer. I had one hell of a lather. DFS FTW.

Sorry, Dave.

I'm completely out of it on the Zoom call and I have no idea what's going on. 🤣 That's what happens when I miss a couple of weeks. I think that's about it for today. I hope you're all well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Back