The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S, R6
  • Blade: Wizamet (2)
  • Brush: Sorrentino Gratitude #1
  • Soap: Hub City Soap Company Red Cabin in the Woods
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Hub City Soap Company Red Cabin in the Woods
  • Frag: I need to buy TF Tobacco Vanille now.
  • Music: Mad Caddies - Duck and Cover
We had a bit of a late night last night. I'm pushing hard for pre-approval for a house. Venessa has finally seem the light of day. She's finally agreed in principle that if there's a nice house that needs a little work, emphasis on a little, that would be worth more to us than a brand spanking new house that costs a fortune. I've been fighting that battle for months and I guess the light just turned on last night. She finally understands that our first house doesn't have to be a dream house, just a nice house, with plans to grow towards a dream house. I slept like a baby for that reason. *Whew!*

I love this scent with all of my heart. I already knew that, but that's not the point. Anyway. Hub City is a new company from Lubbock, Texas. Ruds has a wicked high score on this base, named "Raider," probably a Texas Tech thing. I don't give a crap how anybody rates things, it's all still super subjective with so many variables, no matter how scientific you try to get with it. All that being said, I really enjoyed my shave. I channeled my inner @Somnos and did a hell of a lot of beak jamming before I jumped in the shower. Scent strength off the tub is 10000000/10. This is really strong stuff. It's a harder soap, but pressing my finger in left a slight impression. I loaded for about 30ish seconds with a slightly damp knot and got a nice pasty load. Painting it on was about 80% of the job. I didn't really want to push it to it's limits, but I got one hell of a lather with a little less hydration than I'm used to; gorgeous sheen. The slickness is of no concern for me, but it was very good I guess, the blade glided across easily. 3 wonderful passes later, I'm DFS+. The residual slickness is also there and of no concern for me. Post shave also doesn't matter to me, but I felt that my skin was soft and supple before I applied the WH and splash. The splash is the same scent. I felt a slight alcohol burn at the start, but quickly faded. I smell incredible. Oh wow, I just saw how long this paragraph is getting. Whatever. Reasons!

IMG_20200515_130107.jpg

I was watching Bob's Burgers and this song popped into my head for some reason. Good, fun music.

The cats have inspired me to take a nap! I'm off! I hope you're all well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

She's finally agreed in principle that if there's a nice house that needs a little work, emphasis on a little, that would be worth more to us than a brand spanking new house that costs a fortune. I've been fighting that battle for months and I guess the light just turned on last night. She finally understands that our first house doesn't have to be a dream house, just a nice house, with plans to grow towards a dream house.
It’s a good way to look at things! I mean I don’t know how much of a fixer upper you are, but as long as the list isn’t too long, you can sit on it for a couple years while hopefully building equity, and you can leave it better than you got it...it’s a stepping stone. That’s what we are doing now with the house we’re in now. It’s our first, we could afford it, we’ve spruced it up a bit, and when the time comes we’ll have a sizable down payment and savings for our next.

That's a sweet brush
How did you taste it before it got here???

So ... you’re kinda digging it?
Totally digging it. My face is super supple with no signs of it ever drying out today.

It’s a good way to look at things! I mean I don’t know how much of a fixer upper you are, but as long as the list isn’t too long, you can sit on it for a couple years while hopefully building equity, and you can leave it better than you got it...it’s a stepping stone. That’s what we are doing now with the house we’re in now. It’s our first, we could afford it, we’ve spruced it up a bit, and when the time comes we’ll have a sizable down payment and savings for our next.
That's exactly what I told her. She's a lot more ambitious with the fixing up idea, but the idea is there.

@bentheduck if you aren’t ears deep in a tub...you ain’t livin!!!
Huh? I can't hear you, I have soap in my ears!!!

Looked at their scents and you got the right one........................just thought you'd want to know........
Thanks, Dave. They have a few more planned for release that are...eclectic.

"Chats With Grandpa" - Amber, Rum, Musk, Bay

"Friday Night Lights" - Leaves, Heliotrope, Charred Woods, Amber, Sandalwood, Musk, Roasted Marshmallows, Brown Sugar, Coconut, Soft Vanilla

"Pages" - Teakwood, Cedar, Leather, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Amyris, Dark Musk

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Vector
  • Blade: Feather Pro Super (???)
  • Brush: HCS Merit
  • Soap: Mike's Coconut
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Henri et Victoria Coconut balm
  • Frag: Mercedes-Benz Man Grey
  • Music: New Found Glory - Makes Me Sick
And we're back at work. I got a decent night's sleep. Apparently it stormed all night and it's still storming. I slept right through it. We had pad thai last night, and it took almost 2 hours to get delivered. Ridiculous, but delicious. I'm helping my partner learn acid-base balance, which is probably the hardest thing to comprehend for most people, but it's really only as difficult as you make it.

A little test shave with Mike's so I can see if I'll be taking some soap off @mrdoug. Look no further fella, no reaction and I love the scent. I was running a little behind so I stepped it up in terms of shave speed. The Vector did its thing and made it super easy to go fast. I'm barely not BBS, as usual. I doused myself in Mercedes-Benz. As my partner likes to say, I smell like a snack. I don't know what the hell kind of snacks he eats that smell like men's fragrance. I might have to ask him someday.

IMG_20200516_054146.jpg

Some upbeat music to get the day going.

I'm excited for next week's check because I'll be getting the last two whetstones I feel I need. I probably don't even need one of them, but I think it might make the process easier if I don't have to rely as much on my Naniwa Super Stone 8k if I have a 3k. Feel free to chime in on that if my logic is flawed or you have a better idea. I think that's about it for today. I hope you're all well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Nice read Ben! I've always heard good things about Mike's soaps. I am also interested in the HUB soaps. I was looking at their lineup last night and I might pull the trigger on the Egyptian one. Hope you have a good Saturday and stay safe in the storms!

Going back the shave before...Dude I did that song by the Mad Caddies! Super fun...and I dig that ska/jazz/swing/big band influence! I might have to check more of them out. A way back...or maybe I should say WAAAAY back...I was listening to all sorts of ska, third wave, and related types of music. Then I got a little into rock steady. Just really great stuff. Not sure why I moved from it...need to get back to listening to that kind of stuff.

I think it is a good call on the house. Right now is definitely a buyer's market, especially for non-new houses. I think you have a good plan. Make sure the house is move in ready no matter what so you are not overwhelmed by trying to hurry up and fix stuff before you move in.

Good shave stuff...the Sorrentino is a really nice brush!

We are going to get those storms in an hour or two. Get some sleep today and stay rested for the craziness!

Back