The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

bentheduck

"TSC's Personal Defibrillator in los pantelones"
First Responder
  • Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6C, plate 4
  • Blade: Feather, brand spankin' new
  • Brush: Local Gent Shaving Co "I forgot what it's called because I didn't care when I bought it," Maggard 24mm 50/50 boar/badger
  • Soap: Barrister and Mann Lavanille
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original (not pictured), Barrister and Mann Lavanille
  • Music: Coheed and Cambria In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3
This stands as my first shave journal entry, which was suggested by the first Dave (I think he's the first one???).

I have a brief introduction I'm the newbie section a few hours after I joined, but I'll just add a couple of more details before I get into what I'm here for.

I'm originally from the Rio Grande Valley, TX, and spent the first 26ish years of my life there before I decided that the job market sucked for what I do. I'm the son of a well-known paramedic, which spurred my entry into EMS. I currently hold the certification of EMT-I, but I'm reaching the last parts of paramedic school. I skipped over the part about moving to Houston; I do that from time to time. Back to EMS. I genuinely care about the community that I serve, although I wish they'd take their hypertension medication and stop calling about it at 2am.

Today's shave was inspired by my mom's dad. My mom's parents were immigrants, we're not super sure if they were initially legal or not, but it doesn't matter. They came over from a village in West Mexico with my eldest uncle for a better life. They proceeded to bust their tails for the rest of their lives. My grandpa was a mechanic for decades, and had a little garage next to the house.

Somehow, Lavanille reminds me of my grandpa's garage. The dirty nature of it is a dead ringer for something in there, and it takes me a happy place in my childhood.

The brush represents how proud my grandpa was about being an American citizen.

So I guess this is supposed to be about actually shaving too, so I'll get to that now. Haha

I've had great experiences with the 6C so far. But I hadn't used a Feather in a very long time, and it's absolutely the first time putting one in my 6C. This combination proved to be incredible. Smooth, efficient, and provided a damn good shave. No nicks, but the slight irritation trend continues. I'll attribute that to lack of concentration, not so much the tools.

I made it to work on time to find that one person is scheduled off and another called off. This means that I'm the highest certification on the box today. (I'm in charge) It's not a new thing by any stretch and I welcome the first hand learning experience, but I prefer to learn with a paramedic with me. Whatever. It's going to be a great day.

Sorry for the wall of text, they won't all be this long.

Thanks for reading, and have yourselves great shaves and the best day that circumstances will allow.

IMG_20190424_221001.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent introductory entry Ben-leaning-toward-Bill! Or maybe we should use your full name, Benilliam? :ROFLMAO:

Very fun memories through the shave. Thanks for your work in the community, even if it’s saving people from themselves. :cool:

Good intro and background. Nice to find soaps with connections other than great smell.

which was suggested by the first Dave (I think he's the first one???).

Oh great! Now we have to rank the Daves? Don't let it get to their heads! 🤪

Sorry for the wall of text, they won't all be this long.

You obviously haven't read one of my posts yet? :sneaky:

I LOVE your first post! This is what this place is about. Learning about new people and their heritage! You sir hit your journal out of the park!

I do want to point out that as an EMT and inspiring Paramedic (my mother actually was an EMT in Florida for a few years) you have earned a First Responder badge! Just send a message to one of the Three Amigos... @Cvargo @HandleBarberDave @CBLindsay and they will get you hooked right up!

I really appreciate you sharing a bit about you. Oh yeah...and the shaving was pretty cool to! 🤪

Thank you all for the kind words, guys. It's nice seeing so much appreciation for my writing and my occupation.

It's been a really rough last couple of hours at work and I'm in my feelings about what transpired, but you guys cheered me up a bit.

Oh great! Now we have to rank the Daves? Don't let it get to their heads! 🤪

You obviously haven't read one of my posts yet? :sneaky:

I LOVE your first post! This is what this place is about. Learning about new people and their heritage! You sir hit your journal out of the park!

I do want to point out that as an EMT and inspiring Paramedic (my mother actually was an EMT in Florida for a few years) you have earned a First Responder badge! Just send a message to one of the Three Amigos... @Cvargo @HandleBarberDave @CBLindsay and they will get you hooked right up!

I really appreciate you sharing a bit about you. Oh yeah...and the shaving was pretty cool to! 🤪
Look, I didn't make the Dave's, I merely adopted them. 🤣

Hello Ben! I think you will have a great time here. Lots of first responders and vets I;here. We all love stories, so you look like you will do quite nicely. Welcome!

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6C, R4
  • Blade: Feather, second use because it's convenient to not take it out after yesterday's shave.
  • Brush: Wild West Brushworks "Bioluminescence" 24mm 2 band badger
  • Soap: Summer Break Soaps Brain Break
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Summer Break Soaps Brain Break
  • Music: Stick To Your Guns "D(I Am)ond" off of Diamond

Yesterday was a little rough. Without getting into too much detail, I had a sick patient that I really felt needed to go to the hospital, and he didn't agree with me...and then went into cardiac arrest about 20 minutes later, about the time it took to get back to my station.

I keep trying to figure out what I could've missed, but if I'm being honest with myself I'm pretty good at my job and I didn't miss anything, and even tried my hardest to get him to go with me. Stupid consent laws prevented me from kidnapping him for his own benefit. And even if I had missed something, he was being a stubborn man.

We all have those moments, even women. There's no shame in asking for help. It doesn't make you weak, and anybody that is going to judge you is an idiot.

Today's choice of software is intended to help ease my mind. I'm really hard on myself, even if I don't do anything wrong. It's my philosophy that there is always something to learn, and it's a very bad day at work when I don't learn something new.

Summer Break Soaps is run by a couple of teachers, if I'm not mistaken. My mom was an 8th grade math teacher for a number of years before she got her master's degree in counseling and became an elementary school counselor. I will always support educators, as I value my education dearly and I wouldn't be where I am without dedicated educators dealing with my arrogant ass.

Brain Break has notes of lavender, vanilla, and a touch of peppermint. I find the accord soothing. The vanilla takes a bit of the edge off the lavender, and the peppermint freshens it up a bit. So in all, it's a refreshing and relaxing combination. Too bad it was discontinued.

The razor and blade combination is the same as yesterday because I can't be bothered to unscrew the head and put something else in. It's also a good opportunity to stretch the blades legs out to see how long it'll work in the 6C.

The brush is quite unique, or at least I feel it is. Derrick at Wild West Brushworks was inspired by bioluminescent beaches. So naturally the top of the handle glows in the dark. I thought that was the coolest thing. Still do.

The shave was great. I put an emphasis on technique and not over-shaving. The results are wonderful. No irritation for the first time in a couple of days and a damn fine shave was achieved with 3 passes (wtg, xtgl, xtgr). Thayer's Witch Hazel is invaluable to the health of my face. The matching splash was just as soothing and smells great.

IMG_20190426_075635.jpg

The music choice is also very personal. A lot of people perceive the hardcore genre as just a bunch of screaming and kicking, but it's so much more. It's a community of like-minded individuals that support each other through the struggles of life. The song reminds me that there's a duality in life. Yeah, I have bad days, by I also have amazing days. We all do. Remember that nobody is perfect, and it's okay to make mistakes. Don't forget the humanity that lives in your heart.

I understand you.

Can't fix stubborn. Sorry about the stress added just trying to do your job. Lets hope the next shift brings you a big win to balance the universe.

Can't fix stubborn. Sorry about the stress added just trying to do your job. Lets hope the next shift brings you a big win to balance the universe.
It is what it is, Dave. All I can do is learn from it. I'm sure the universe will provide some pizza in the near future.

Sorry you had a rough shift. Pride is a tough thing to overcome, even when others have made every effort to offer help, no shame or strings attached.

Hope the next shift brings your pizza :ROFLMAO:

Back