The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Sometimes you just gotta remember your ABC's: airway, breathing, and circulation. He's probably just thinking too hard.
Absolutely. I don't think very many people realize how often that will save your butt. I try to point out how important those three things are to every single student I have, basic, advanced, and paramedic, and my partner is always at my side listening to me give that speech.

Great, Ben. Everyone learns at their own pace, in their own way.
I think it might be time to go back to the basic with him so we both know he has a solid foundation as a basic. Like @FarmerTan said, ABCs. Don't get much more basic than that.

What? No parchment paper or silicone mats? What is this? 1995??

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Sheraton
  • Blade: GSB, Permasharp Stainless
  • Brush: TDR Aquamarine
  • Soap: Gentelman's Nod George sample
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Skin Bracer
  • Frag: Royal Cuba
  • Music: What's Eating Gilbert - That New Sound You're Looking For
After a rough start to Monday things smoothed out a lot. We even made an effort to pull a kitten out of a storm drain. Yeah, stereotypical firefighter stuff. We ultimately failed, but not from a lack of trying. The rest of the shift was uneventful. I woke up, hung out a little bit before going to take my hazmat final. I passed. I was also the only person in my department to finish on time. All that's left is to wait until fall to do my in person skills, where I'll learn the "fun" parts of being a "glow worm." I'm so tired of being in school that I looked up another class that I can take immediately, Hazardous Materials Incident Commander. I'm still thinking about it, but I think I'll wait until the fall to get that, and I'll focus on paramedic stuff in the meantime.

Back to using samples. I really like this scent; notes of cedarwood, tobacco, and cherry. I could smell the general woodyness of the scent, but I didn't know it was cedarwood until I looked up the notes. It's also super soft, so if you prefer harder soaps, this probably isn't going to be your thing. I bloomed it because I'm actively trying to use up all my samples. That being said, I pretty much used up the entire sample in one go, blooming an already soft soap made it.......softer. Duh. I got a great lather. I hadn't used the Sheraton since I bought it from Bruce; what a shame. The blade was dead on arrival and the replacement I picked off the counter wasn't a whole lot better. Still, I got a great 3 pass shave in for a nice evening shave. Surprise of the day: Skin Bracer and Royal Cuba actually go really well together to my nose. I don't know what it is about both of them, but I find them both very pleasant when combined.

IMG_20200506_171509.jpg

What's Eating Gilbert has a 50's pop feeling. I like it in small doses because I think it starts to get a little cheesy after a while.

I'm working on Friday for my usual shift, 12 hours off, and 12 hours back on. The bosses think there's going to be an increase in call volume because of Galveston opening up and some major highway construction. I'm not really stoked about it, but it's another 12 hours for me to continue honing my skills and knowledge. Hopefully my partner for the night, not my usual one, doesn't decide to slam the truck in reverse while it's still moving forward again. I hope everybody is doing well. Hopefully I can join in on the next weekly meetup. I really need to unwind after all the stress of the weekend. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Ummmm, you outta borrow $10 from your wife so you can get like 50 new blades.
50 for $10?! What kind of blades do you buy?!

Yeah, I wondered if they put it down after giving up too :unsure:
I was wondering until I went through it. We figured that it was from the house next door. Momma would come and get it eventually.

Back