The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dragonsbeard Soap and Skin Food Splash Pass Around

Current List
WEST

3. dkeester - completed
4 ED3054 - completed
6. Milkcrate - completed
7. Techihci - completed

8. Uacowboy - completing and shipping Monday
9. Smattayu - awaiting shipment

EAST
5. Majorrich - completed
9.Bill in Oneida - Completed

10. Jaro106 - In Possession Of
11. Spider - On Deck

Last edited:
Current List
WEST

3. dkeester - completed
4 ED3054 - completed
6. Milkcrate - completed
7. Techihci - completed
8. Uacowboy - completed

9. Smattayu - awaiting shipment

EAST
5. Majorrich - completed

10. Jaro106 - In Possession Of
11. Spider - On Deck
hey now i am giving a second go tomorrow to see if i can hydrate it better! 😜

it will be shipping out on monday though. lol

WEST
3. dkeester - completed
4 ED3054 - completed
6. Milkcrate - completed
7. Techihci - completed

8. Uacowboy - In Possession
9. Smattayu

EAST
5. Majorrich - completed
10. Jaro106 - Awaiting
11. Spider
I’m excited to try this set up out, especially after all the reviews.

First shave. Sorry if I ramble a bit in the write up and am a bit quiet in the video. Haven't had my coffee yet.

20200125_041149.jpg

First shave with the Dragonsbeard passaround. I really like the scent of this soap. From the tub it is relatively lightly scented and it lightened more once lathered. The splash is much stronger and really nice scent wise. I don't normally bowl lather so I think I stopped adding water slightly before I should have but it still had good slickness for a SR shave. Almost no residual slickness was present today. The soap didn't seem particularly thirsty to me and lathered really well. Had tons of lather that was very stable and didn't dry out and rinsed very cleanly. Due I think to being slightly less hydrated than it should have been my face felt slightly rough/irritated but after a lather soak with what i had left after the shave left my face feeling pretty good. I waited a few minutes before using the splash and almost felt like I didn't need it. When I did use it, the splash absorbed immediately leaving my face feeling well hydrated but not at all greasy or sticky. Just smooth and clean.

@uacowboy Kyle

Thank you for the video review and write up. A couple things. I know you felt like you could have added a bit more water but looking at the lather in the video it didn’t look as dense as it normally does and the lack of residual slickness just doesn’t seem right. Not that it’s a slickness monster and I will be improving that on the beta version but the later looked thin and more transparent than normal to me. Also for me as a favor try a Splash of the Skin Food splash and follow it in a minute with a 2nd splash. I’m just curious to hear your feedback on that and I’ll explain after your comments after the next shave.
On the scent. It is a Oud forward scent but I’m glad you picked up my homemade Vanilla in there as that’s important to me.
Thanks again for the excellent review and feedback. 😊👍🏼

@uacowboy Kyle

Thank you for the video review and write up. A couple things. I know you felt like you could have added a bit more water but looking at the lather in the video it didn’t look as dense as it normally does and the lack of residual slickness just doesn’t seem right. Not that it’s a slickness monster and I will be improving that on the beta version but the later looked thin and more transparent than normal to me. Also for me as a favor try a Splash of the Skin Food splash and follow it in a minute with a 2nd splash. I’m just curious to hear your feedback on that and I’ll explain after your comments after the next shave.
On the scent. It is a Oud forward scent but I’m glad you picked up my homemade Vanilla in there as that’s important to me.
Thanks again for the excellent review and feedback. 😊👍🏼
Sure thing. I will for sure try a second splash tomorrow.

Samples are the only time i ever bowl lather and i had intended to just try to load from the bowl and face lather but it just exploded in the bowl so i ran with it. Tomorrow i think i'm going to try it with a badger instead of a synth and see it i can do a better job with that.

Sure thing. I will for sure try a second splash tomorrow.

Samples are the only time i ever bowl lather and i had intended to just try to load from the bowl and face lather but it just exploded in the bowl so i ran with it. Tomorrow i think i'm going to try it with a badger instead of a synth and see it i can do a better job with that.

Thank you!
It’s funny sometimes I have better luck with some soaps with a badger and sometimes a synthetic.. go figure right! Lol

20200126_041139.jpg

Got a better lather today with the badger brush. Was able to load the brush from the sample in my bowl without it trying to get going to much. Soap was for sure a bit slicker today. Residual slickness was still pretty minimal but slightly better today as well.

Did a double application of the splash today with a few minutes in between and I'd say my face feels maybe a bit more supple compared to yesterday but still not oily or tacky. Just feels really good.

Overall i really like this soap and splash, both for the scent and performance. I know Frank is working on a beta version and is say the only things I'd like to see is a bit more slickness and a bit stronger scent in the soap. The splash is pretty great as is but if he adjusts it as well I'll be curious to try it for sure. This is officially on my short list.

20200126_041139.jpg

Got a better lather today with the badger brush. Was able to load the brush from the sample in my bowl without it trying to get going to much. Soap was for sure a bit slicker today. Residual slickness was still pretty minimal but slightly better today as well.

Did a double application of the splash today with a few minutes in between and I'd say my face feels maybe a bit more supple compared to yesterday but still not oily or tacky. Just feels really good.

Overall i really like this soap and splash, both for the scent and performance. I know Frank is working on a beta version and is say the only things I'd like to see is a bit more slickness and a bit stronger scent in the soap. The splash is pretty great as is but if he adjusts it as well I'll be curious to try it for sure. This is officially on my short list.

Thank you once again Kyle for the excellent review and just to address your comments. The beta version should have more slickness as the new base is a combo of grass fed beef tallow, duck fat and Camel hump fat. Also the scent percentage will be increased as well as I've gotten that request more than a few times and the same for the Skin Food splash it will project more with the increase of the aroma. I'm also going to be increasing the amount of the EOS Complex and there have been 2 more ingredients added to the Complex as well that should make the post shave even better and still without any stickiness or oily feeling.

Nice brush btw! I just started to use a STR8 as a member sent me a couple to try out and so far so good but with the Shave Off starting soon my progress with it will have to unfortunately be put on hold. So far I haven't nicked myself which my buddy told me was a good sign but my challenge is trying to shave with my left hand one the one side of my face as it's not at the point that if feels natural yet but I like using the razor.

Take care and I'd like you to try the beta version once it is ready. :) 👍

Thank you once again Kyle for the excellent review and just to address your comments. The beta version should have more slickness as the new base is a combo of grass fed beef tallow, duck fat and Camel hump fat. Also the scent percentage will be increased as well as I've gotten that request more than a few times and the same for the Skin Food splash it will project more with the increase of the aroma. I'm also going to be increasing the amount of the EOS Complex and there have been 2 more ingredients added to the Complex as well that should make the post shave even better and still without any stickiness or oily feeling.

Nice brush btw! I just started to use a STR8 as a member sent me a couple to try out and so far so good but with the Shave Off starting soon my progress with it will have to unfortunately be put on hold. So far I haven't nicked myself which my buddy told me was a good sign but my challenge is trying to shave with my left hand one the one side of my face as it's not at the point that if feels natural yet but I like using the razor.

Take care and I'd like you to try the beta version once it is ready. :) 👍

Thanks!
Sounds great! I for sure want to try the Beta version.

If you haven't nicked yourself you are doing great! The left hand will come along with experience.

Thanks for doing this Pass-around!

Ok I'm sitting here LMAO on that one! No I'm belly laughing actually! Perfect timing! I needed a good laugh!

Yep Hump fat and I found out the benefits when was doing research on the Camels milk. I can't wait to try my first sample batch which I should have ready in a week or so as I've got a couple other soaps I have to finish up first before starting on the Beta version of the DB soap. 😅

Ok I'm sitting here LMAO on that one! No I'm belly laughing actually! Perfect timing! I needed a good laugh!

Yep Hump fat and I found out the benefits when was doing research on the Camels milk. I can't wait to try my first sample batch which I should have ready in a week or so as I've got a couple other soaps I have to finish up first before starting on the Beta version of the DB soap. 😅
I think I pulled a muscle Don! Thanks....
Glad I am able to amuse the masses! 🤪

Okay...I might actually pay YOU Frank to try that beta version!

Back