The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dragonsbeard Soap and Skin Food Splash Pass Around

Current List
WEST

3. dkeester - completed
4 ED3054 - completed
6. Milkcrate - completed
7. Techihci - completed
8. Uacowboy - completed

9. Smattayu - in possession

EAST
5. Majorrich - completed
9.Bill in Oneida - Completed
10. Jaro106 - Completed

11. Spider - in possession

Current List
WEST

3. dkeester - completed
4 ED3054 - completed
6. Milkcrate - completed
7. Techihci - completed
8. Uacowboy - completed

EAST
5. Majorrich - completed
10. Jaro106 - Completed

@Smattayu you dropped Stevie

Current List
WEST

3. dkeester - completed
4 ED3054 - completed
6. Milkcrate - completed
7. Techihci - completed
8. Uacowboy - completed

EAST
5. Majorrich - completed
10. Jaro106 - Completed

12. SteveChuckFrank

Shave #3

Razor: Robert Williams
Brush: Rudy Vey w/Shavemac badger

Ok, so this was Saturday evening's shave, and I went with a badger knot and traditional straight razor. The RV is a nice brush, and the knot has just the right balance of backbone and flop for me. It would be the best badger I've ever used except that it has lost at least one hair per shave since the first the first time I used it. Regardless of it's shedding issues it did a fantastic job whipping up a lather with this soap.

I took some extra time with this shave, partly to properly judge the slickness of this soap with a traditional straight, and partly to see if the mild discomfort I've felt during the last two shaves would increase in intensity the longer the lather was on my face. Regarding the slickness, I've been spoiled by a lot of the soaps I use going above and beyond in this area, so I'd put it at close to the minimum amount of slickness I prefer with a traditional straight razor. As for the discomfort, it has never been more than mild and it seemed to be less intense than before during this shave. It did not increase at all with extra face time, and there has never been any redness, so I can safely say that it is not a reaction to an ingredient in the soap or AS.

The usual three passes and a bit of clean up left me with a DFS+, which is the norm for a straight razor lately. I love the feeling of the final rinse with this soap, as it leaves my skin feeling more refreshed than any other product I've used. I also love the way the aftershave soaks right in, though it is not quite moisturizing enough for my skin by itself, and I do need to use a dab of my usual moisturizer.

All in all I'd buy both in a heartbeat, and would probably 3017 them to see how they affect my skin over many uses. Frank has managed to produce a product that is both effective and unique, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else he comes up with in the future.

NvwUC9dl.jpg

After a few more shaves, here's my thoughts. (Mostly the same as my first impressions)

The soap is excellent. I find the slickness very good, and rivals some of the slickest soaps out there. I was concerned by some other reviewers who said it was lacking in slickness (and my initial thoughts from a sample I used before), but I combatted this by using more soap, and really going crazy adding water to the lather. It will take a bunch of water and gets slicker as you do. Once lather was shaved off, my face did dry pretty quickly, so the residual slickness is not the same as some other soaps, but a quick splash of water on the face is enough to refresh the residual lather, and you can do another pass or touch up without re-lathering. The scent is OK, not a favorite of mine, but not offensive either. It's warm, slightly woody, and spicy, with a slight vanilla back note. The scent does not linger much after the lather is rinsed off. I did try lathering with a synthetic, a badger, and a boar. I had way better results with a synthetic. But I think that is because the natural fibers are more lather hogs than the synthetics and you need to load longer and get more soap into natural fiber brushes to get an equivalent lather. (And since I’m working off a sample, basically, I’m trying to conserve it).

The Skin Food, I'm still a bit torn on. There is a really bright, really sharp scent at the first application of it. It's chemically and weird.... almost a clean burnt rubber sort of smell. (This is what I was initially calling a citrus-like note.) I don't know if it's something in the base of the aftershave or if it has something to maybe do with the Oud or Agar. Either way, it's pretty offensive to my nose, but only for a few seconds. Once the alcohol dries down, it's gone. Now the alcohol dry down is remarkably fast. Too fast for my tastes. I like being able to rub my splash around on my face for a few seconds. This dries down so fast I barely feel like I can get it spread around my entire face before it is no longer liquidy. This causes me to need to use it 2 or 3 times to feel like I'm getting the coverage I need. After it dries down, my face feels quite tacky..... Again, not a feeling that I like. That tackiness does go away rather quickly, within a few minutes, as whatever is now on my skin soaks in. Now after it soaks in...... My skin feels amazing. And if feels great all day long. This is why I'm torn, because the lasting effects of the skin food are really amazing. More notes on the scent. After the initial dry down, I don't get much of the woodiness or spiciness that I got form the soap. After just a few minutes, there is only one note that remains..... vanilla. It's a nice smelling vanilla, but it's just not a scent that I want to necessarily want to smell like all day..... and the scent does last all day. I still smell like vanilla when I go to bed at night. Amber agrees that I smell like vanilla, however she likes it. She said it reminds her of Vanilla Fields, a perfume she used to use, and she likes smelling it on me. Eric mentioned that this was a masculine scent, and could not be mistaken as unisex and I wholeheartedly disagree with that. I think this definitely goes both ways, so to speak.

A quick note on burning. After my first use, I did note a slight burn. It didn't last long. On the second use, I had a slight burn, which lasted just a few seconds. After that, no burning at all.

A couple more shaves, then I'll be ready to send this on......

I have been using a sample of the unscented Dragonsbeard skin food I got from Frank. Oud triggers my Asthma so I can’t use the original dragonsbeard. I believe Frank is going to change the label for the unscented skin food eventually. My experience so far is the first day I had almost a pins and needle feeling on my face for a few hours but then my face felt great. The second day I had that feeling for about an hour. The 3rd and 4th day no pins and needles just a great skin feel. My wife even said my face felt softer, more hydrated. I have used a lot of different After Shaves and balms and they either leave my face very dried out or I feel like I washed my face with olive oil. With this skin food I get no lingering oily feeling yet my face doesn’t feel dried out. I am really looking forward to some of his new scents, as I know Frank has a great nose for scents.

I have been using a sample of the unscented Dragonsbeard skin food I got from Frank. Oud triggers my Asthma so I can’t use the original dragonsbeard. I believe Frank is going to change the label for the unscented skin food eventually. My experience so far is the first day I had almost a pins and needle feeling on my face for a few hours but then my face felt great. The second day I had that feeling for about an hour. The 3rd and 4th day no pins and needles just a great skin feel. My wife even said my face felt softer, more hydrated. I have used a lot of different After Shaves and balms and they either leave my face very dried out or I feel like I washed my face with olive oil. With this skin food I get no lingering oily feeling yet my face doesn’t feel dried out. I am really looking forward to some of his new scents, as I know Frank has a great nose for scents.

Thanks Mark

I’m glad the unscented is working for you and it sounds like the EOS Complex is also doing its job. The Lavender Shave Soap and Skin Food splash is completed and I’m just waiting for the graphic designer to finish the changes I made to the labels and them off to the printers.
FYI I’ve made the decision that all the unscented products I’ll be making in the future will go into what I’m naming the “ Pure Collection “ so a shave soap is also in the works as I write this.

Great shaves my friend

Frank

Tracking shows delivered to @SteveChuckFrank

Current List
WEST

3. dkeester - completed
4 ED3054 - completed
6. Milkcrate - completed
7. Techihci - completed
8. Uacowboy - completed

EAST