The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dragonsbeard Soap and Skin Food Splash Pass Around

Ok here goes...I used the soap and skin food today and I have to tell you I think I didnt get the lather quite right because the razor jumped a little. I did a w pass and then I applied the skin food. Not sting but I do feel a slight itch and warmth to my face... I will make another test on my next shave but I went ahead and got out another almond size sample to use and I took a total of 5 ml of the splash because I didnt want to be greedy. Thanks for the chance to try this. Oh the soap was a little softer than I expected it to be BTW...

20200126_174248_HDR.jpg

edit... my face is now slightly red along my cheeks and neck...... i hope it is just because of not having the lather exactly right... i really want to like this soap because i really like the scents.......

Last edited:
ok update... my face wound up turning very red so i had to wash my face to get any trace of this product off my face... i then applied some W.H. and a simple alcohol splash and my face seems to be cooling down. I do not know if its the soap or the skin food that did it so i will try just the soap next time. as a note i may grab one more almond size piece of the soap to perform this test...i am still going to go ahead and get it mailed out to @Spider as soon as I can so he gets his turn.....

ok update... my face wound up turning very red so i had to wash my face to get any trace of this product off my face... i then applied some W.H. and a simple alcohol splash and my face seems to be cooling down. I do not know if its the soap or the skin food that did it so i will try just the soap next time. as a note i may grab one more almond size piece of the soap to perform this test...i am still going to go ahead and get it mailed out to @Spider as soon as I can so he gets his turn.....
that's rough. Have you had a reaction to a soap or AS before?

I'm wondering if it is one of the scents. I know I've had a reaction to two soaps but wasn't sure which scent it was and they weren't good enough to try further to figure out (or even remember for that matter), and rose is borderline for me. I like the scent and have a couple soaps with it (Lisa's and CBL), but if my skin is wind burnt or otherwise irritated, I can really feel it from them.

Ok here goes...I used the soap and skin food today and I have to tell you I think I didnt get the lather quite right because the razor jumped a little. I did a w pass and then I applied the skin food. Not sting but I do feel a slight itch and warmth to my face... I will make another test on my next shave but I went ahead and got out another almond size sample to use and I took a total of 5 ml of the splash because I didnt want to be greedy. Thanks for the chance to try this. Oh the soap was a little softer than I expected it to be BTW...

View attachment 15788

edit... my face is now slightly red along my cheeks and neck...... i hope it is just because of not having the lather exactly right... i really want to like this soap because i really like the scents.......

Hello sir

I'm sorry things didn't go well for your and I'll run a few things by you in relation to what may or may not have happened.

1. The lather does in my opinion take a couple of times to dial it in but once a person gets it down it's pretty easy to get a nice dense lather. That's why I encourage folks to keep if for a few shaves before passing it on.
2. The camels milk in the formula has a bunch of benefits to it and one is exfoliation and removing clogged pores. The Skin Food also works in that way as well as balancing the skin. So with that said it is normal to get a little tingling or even slight sting from the soap and skin food splash on the first use or two but in the 4 or 5 times that anyone has experienced that it does go away after a few uses so basically the ingredients are doing the job their supposed to. This may or may not be the case with you and I'll explain.
3. The soap is not to soft if it's in the tub or it shouldn't be. It's definitely not a croup but isn't as hard as lets say a triple milled soap.
4. Anyone can be allergic to anything. Fragrance or something in a fragrance is usually the first thing to look at. Did you have a reaction to the Skin Food splash as well? If not then it's either one of 3 things.
a. Your skin may have some clogged pores or is not balanced and the product is doing its job to get it back to normal and if so the symptoms your experiencing should go away with a few uses.
b. Something in the soap your allergic to and that's why you reacted.
c. If you did have a reaction to the Skin Food splash then it's probably the fragrance or something that's in the EOS complex.

It's up to you if you want to give it a couple more tries to see if the stinging and redness goes away or just pass it on. Like I said so far luckily I haven't had anyone have a allergic reaction to either soap or aftershave but I know there's always a first. What I'd like to do is mail you a sample of the unscented Skin Food splash which is finished but I'm waiting on labels to release it but I can put a sample in a vial and ship it to you if you want to send me your address as I'd like to try to narrow down why this happened.

Thanks your and let me know.

Frank

I'm wondering if it is one of the scents. I know I've had a reaction to two soaps but wasn't sure which scent it was and they weren't good enough to try further to figure out (or even remember for that matter), and rose is borderline for me. I like the scent and have a couple soaps with it (Lisa's and CBL), but if my skin is wind burnt or otherwise irritated, I can really feel it from them.
that's rough. Have you had a reaction to a soap or AS before?

i had a problem with CRSW select spring and a little problem with the blind testers sent from chris.. of course he said he expected that dealing with the blind test from what he and i had talked about before about the crsw..

Hello sir

I'm sorry things didn't go well for your and I'll run a few things by you in relation to what may or may not have happened.

1. The lather does in my opinion take a couple of times to dial it in but once a person gets it down it's pretty easy to get a nice dense lather. That's why I encourage folks to keep if for a few shaves before passing it on.
2. The camels milk in the formula has a bunch of benefits to it and one is exfoliation and removing clogged pores. The Skin Food also works in that way as well as balancing the skin. So with that said it is normal to get a little tingling or even slight sting from the soap and skin food splash on the first use or two but in the 4 or 5 times that anyone has experienced that it does go away after a few uses so basically the ingredients are doing the job their supposed to. This may or may not be the case with you and I'll explain.
3. The soap is not to soft if it's in the tub or it shouldn't be. It's definitely not a croup but isn't as hard as lets say a triple milled soap.
4. Anyone can be allergic to anything. Fragrance or something in a fragrance is usually the first thing to look at. Did you have a reaction to the Skin Food splash as well? If not then it's either one of 3 things.
a. Your skin may have some clogged pores or is not balanced and the product is doing its job to get it back to normal and if so the symptoms your experiencing should go away with a few uses.
b. Something in the soap your allergic to and that's why you reacted.
c. If you did have a reaction to the Skin Food splash then it's probably the fragrance or something that's in the EOS complex.

It's up to you if you want to give it a couple more tries to see if the stinging and redness goes away or just pass it on. Like I said so far luckily I haven't had anyone have a allergic reaction to either soap or aftershave but I know there's always a first. What I'd like to do is mail you a sample of the unscented Skin Food splash which is finished but I'm waiting on labels to release it but I can put a sample in a vial and ship it to you if you want to send me your address as I'd like to try to narrow down why this happened.

Thanks your and let me know.

Frank
I am gonna try it without the splash to try and see if its the soap or the splash. I will try it a couple of more times and like i said i already had one almond out so i will scoop out another almond size piece and then send it on to Spider.....

I am gonna try it without the splash to try and see if its the soap or the splash. I will try it a couple of more times and like i said i already had one almond out so i will scoop out another almond size piece and then send it on to Spider.....

Yes please take another good sized scoop out as there's a lot of soap in those tubs. An thanks for giving it another try. The results will help me in my continued R&D

Thank you!

Okay, i tried it again and have boxed it up to send to @Spider tomorrow.. I used the same setup as last time but i didnt use the splash afterwards and i used the Muhle r89 with the same blade (2nd shave on blade).. I got it to the yogurty consistency this time so the lather was good. no nicks or weepers. The shave went good but i still have a strange almost burning sensation on my face so i know the soap is not reacting well with my skin i will try the splash with a different soap since i kept a couple of ml for that particular test in one of those tiny sample vials to see if the splash has the same effect on me as the soap..Unfortunately it looks like this soap is not one for me But..... again thank you @Dragonsbeard for allowing us to try this soap and splash.....

Okay, i tried it again and have boxed it up to send to @Spider tomorrow.. I used the same setup as last time but i didnt use the splash afterwards and i used the Muhle r89 with the same blade (2nd shave on blade).. I got it to the yogurty consistency this time so the lather was good. no nicks or weepers. The shave went good but i still have a strange almost burning sensation on my face so i know the soap is not reacting well with my skin i will try the splash with a different soap since i kept a couple of ml for that particular test in one of those tiny sample vials to see if the splash has the same effect on me as the soap..Unfortunately it looks like this soap is not one for me But..... again thank you @Dragonsbeard for allowing us to try this soap and splash.....

Thank you for the review and trying the soap. I’m going to send you the unscented Skin Food splash sample to see if you have and issue with that as well this we will probably be able to narrow it down to either the scent or some ingredients your allergic to. I also have a new soap base that’s not scented, doesn’t have the EOS complex in it and there.s no milks in it so I’d like to see if you have an issue with those two.
I’ll be in touch soon.
All the best.
Frank

Thank you for the review and trying the soap. I’m going to send you the unscented Skin Food splash sample to see if you have and issue with that as well this we will probably be able to narrow it down to either the scent or some ingredients your allergic to. I also have a new soap base that’s not scented, doesn’t have the EOS complex in it and there.s no milks in it so I’d like to see if you have an issue with those two.
I’ll be in touch soon.
All the best.
Frank
Thanks I look forward to hearing from you and trying the other stuff you mentioned because I would really like to be able to use your product....

And what's worse that was only a few cents more than the cheapest method now.. for 20 cents less it was going to take 6 to 8 days so I spent the extra 20 cents to have 2 day shipping

Ok, so I did end up going with a night shave after work on Wednesday, and just haven't really had time to write it up until now. I used my favorite DE for the first use of this soap/AS, the Feather SS for the second, and will use a traditional straight for the third, which will gradually ramp up the slickness requirements.

Razor: Rockwell 6c
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Semogue 830

First off, the scent is outstanding. I loved it from the first lid removal and sniff. Masculine with a bit of animalic(from the oud I expect), no one will be mistaking this for unisex. There is something really familiar about the scent, but I can't seem to place it. I didn't notice the vanilla directly from the tub, but it started to come out as the shave progressed.

I scooped an almond sized dollop from the tub, put it in my preferred sample bowl, and got to it. I added a bit more water while face lathering than intended and ended up over hydrating, and by the time I got to the third pass the lather was pretty watery. The extra hydration of the soap didn't detract from the shave, though I did skip a clean up pass because of it. There was more than enough slickness for the 6c to skate across, and enough residual slickness to do some moderate blade buffing where needed in the trouble areas. Three passes netted me a DFS+ that was a barely-there scritch in the trouble spots from being BBS. I held off on using the aftershave for a few minutes to see how my skin felt from just the soap, and I was impressed. It's really hard to describe, but my skin felt really clean. I did notice some slight discomfort during and for a little while after the shave, but there was no accompanying redness. Based on responses to previous posts I expect this was the skin goodies in the soap and aftershave doing their work.

As mentioned before, the vanilla didn't really start to come out until during the shave and it seemed to increase a bit as the shave went on. The aftershave seemed almost opposite of the soap, as there was very little oud and a lot of vanilla. It smelled even better than the soap. I used a hefty splash(or glug as @dangerousdon would say), and even considering how many posts have mentioned it I was still surprised by how fast it soaked in. It was like my skin could breathe and was inhaling it almost as fast as it was applied. My face felt great for some time after, though there was a bit of dryness after 40 minutes or so and I had to use my usual moisturizer. I remember now reading about using a second application of the aftershave, but didn't think about it at the time.

I'll hold off on an final conclusions until after the last shave with these products, but I'm impressed so far and glad I got a chance to be in this pass around. I like to play around with photo filters, so I added a trippy effect on the second one.

wioxJazl.jpg

vlG9ufil.jpg

Back