The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doc’s mad rabbit hole journey.

Oh darn, guess you’ll have to order more!
1f602.png

Curses she liked it. I did tell her that these two and the two coming were his guinea pig soaps before he starts selling them

9/18/18

Full Contemplation!

SOTD:

Sorrentino Boar
Karve “F” plate/Rubie (5)
DG Icarus Contemplation soap/splash

I am normally not one to be a bandwagon jumper but this entire setup I would be fine if I never had anything else! There I said it. BBS after 2 passes and the third put me in Xeno Dave’s terms HCDSBBSG......... somewhere category with zero, let me repeat zero alum burn. This Boar Sorrentino is easily favorite brush I own as far as boars and definitely is a looker. These Rubie blades are “the bomb” as we said in high school and this “F” plate is where this razor is at for me. I will run it a few more times but since KY Dave sent me the “F” plate it’s gonna be a hard one to return now (jk but it really makes me want one). Hopefully the next modern DE 6s Rockwell will give this one a run for the money. I am now curious to see if a Modern GEM razor (if this exists) could be a great shaver as well.

After the shave lego’s time with the oldest boy and then everyone went to their bedrooms for the night and I am once again in contemplation. I need to rate and catalog all my shaving stuff. <task to completely complicated for a simple NC boy to figure out on a sleepy haze>

All in all I had easily a top 5 shave maybe best shave I’ve ever gotten tonight and I didn’t even video it.

Have a great day tomorrow folks thanks for reading. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my family!

Lego time! Yes!

Awesome shave TJ. Don’t forget to smell each scent as you catalog!
1f609.png

See that’s why I’m not a planner. I walk into the den and say wow what do I wanna shave with today. My SOTD photos look like some variety side show at a carnival.

Wow! You surprised me and have me curious about that "F" plate now. Hear good things about and thinking it may be too aggressive for me but couldn't pass it up to see for myself. Glad it was a success for you!!

Well dang TJ, did you just find your RX of the DE world?

It is possible but I’m hoping to not have to buy one.

Wow! You surprised me and have me curious about that "F" plate now. Hear good things about and thinking it may be too aggressive for me but couldn't pass it up to see for myself. Glad it was a success for you!!

The “F” is way less aggressive than my RX but it is noticeably different than the “D”. I really really like it. But I do tend to like aggressive razors.

I’m sure TJ will let you borrow that razor when he’s done ?

Nothing wrong with that! Sounds like a marvelous shave!

It surprised me to say the least. The post feel on this soap is just stellar and i never have a stellar shave on #5 of any blade I have tried yet until this one. I am tempted to run this blade as far as it will go and see just how far it can take me. Some of the success from this shave may be due to a better understanding of pressure and angle since starting with the SRs. The "F" plate is not as aggressive as Kate (my RX) but noticably more than the "D" plate. All in all this setup is fantastic. Eric did a true work of art with this boar though he was worried a bit that the knot was set funny because he had not set many boars. I thought it looked close to how my Semogue was set so I eased his mind in that respect. It is perfect so far and i expect it to get better as it breaks in. it isn't as sheddy as my Stirling was so far which means it may take longer to break in in my experience.

Great to hear that you made it through the storms. I’m glad the loft on the boar is working out as well. I might have to order one of those to try for myself. The knot looks pretty similar to my Semogue 830, which has seen better days.

Great to hear that you made it through the storms. I’m glad the loft on the boar is working out as well. I might have to order one of those to try for myself. The knot looks pretty similar to my Semogue 830, which has seen better days.

It is a really good boar knot. I have 4 other users and a spare Stirling one that isn’t even been out of the box yet. This one is top 2 easily

9/19/18.

Wow ok I learned some stuff from a really quick throw me together shave.

1. LaToja is a good to better than average soap stick.
2. I really do want to get rid of my Q-shave and keep my Variant.
3. Osage Rub is seriously seriously seriously mentholated!!!!!!! Also it is really really really good aftershave.

Quick entry not much to say other than today was whipped by backside twice and then ran over me with a truck kinda busy. Then church for our weekly fellowship meal and study.

Variant on 2
not sure what blade is in it and too much of a pain to take out just to find out.
Satin Tip synthetic
LaToja Sticktember shave 8/10
Osage Rub splash

SOTD:

Thanks for reading and comments on the journal and the videos. I have been considering doing some reviews via the video because I am absolutely awful at writing my thoughts on a product down sometimes. Would you guys be interested in that or does josh sort of cover that niche in the market. Also I have thought about adding some music to my video intro but I can not seem to figure out the ones that have no copyright on them. Is there a trick to it?

Have a great day tomorrow. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my friends.

La Toja shave stick is good stuff. My go-to travel soap currently.

We had church meal/small group study as well! Good times with the wider church family!

I'm withholding my comments until Chris has a chance to say what's on his mind. ???

Took the words right out of my fingers!

I don’t use music so can’t comment on that, but I’d say let the reviews rip. Yes, Josh has that sweet lather cam and that sexy hair curl (which can I say I think we should place bets on when it will be in a full circle), but everyone’s opinion is different and presented in a different way. Give the people a choice I say!

Thanks for reading and comments on the journal and the videos. I have been considering doing some reviews via the video because I am absolutely awful at writing my thoughts on a product down sometimes. Would you guys be interested in that or does josh sort of cover that niche in the market. Also I have thought about adding some music to my video intro but I can not seem to figure out the ones that have no copyright on them. Is there a trick to it?

Sorry, forgot about answering this. There is a page on YouTube where you can check copyrights and permissions of tons of songs.

If you log into your YouTube account on the official site, click your account icon/avatar in the upper right corner, you should be able to click on “Creator Studio”; once there, there is a long menu on the left side of the screen, click “Create” toward the bottom of the list; “Audio Library” will have songs you can use; “Music Policies” will allow you to check any songs you already have that you want to view permissions on.

Back