The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doc’s mad rabbit hole journey.

....Maybe badger brushes need breaking in too?....

Yes, at least with denser badger brushes, especially 2-banders. It's not really the tips breaking in, as with a boar brush; but rather the knot needs to loosen up a bit to reach optimal performance. At least that my 2 cents.

Yes, at least with denser badger brushes, especially 2-banders. It's not really the tips breaking in, as with a boar brush; but rather the knot needs to loosen up a bit to reach optimal performance. At least that my 2 cents.

100% agree...though there are badger brushes where the tips will curl and get "gel-like" after a bit of use.

Catching up TJ!

Belated Happy Anniversary!

Great recovery shave!

Great reads, shaves, and pictures!

Right?!?!

When I travel, I put more thought into my shaving gear than I do my clothes.... of course, that could be said for most days at home too!

7/15/18

Back to work tomorrow after a rather extended weekend. Had an awesome vacation though but now I must get back into the groove of being in the office. Huge deliveries are in my future. I have a Stirling order, a Satin Tip synthetic brush, some Long Rifle, a Paladin, Two Sorrentinos, and some Bad A&@ Beard Care products. Plus some new lenses for my Oakley’s and I don’t even know if there was anything else but if not I’m sure at some point there will be.

Now on to the SOTD:

I had had forgotten how much I enjoy this little Semogue Boar. The Forest City Fern is exactly that in your face Fern. And had little to no residual tonight but I’m thinking that isn’t all the soaps fault. My water softener may be running lower on salt so I will be checking that out later. The Weck for some reason was more comfortable tonight without the guard rather than with it. Finished off with some Black Ship Phillip’s Fougere to cut the full Fernal assault from the soap. Smelling really nice before bed but when I hit myself with them obscene vasillys of Pen’s English Fern tomorrow I’m going out the door smelling like a boss!

Thanks for reading folks and hopefully all have a nice start to the week. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you folks and requests for pleasant thoughts for a friend in a tough spot.

Agree that is a good soap. If I didn’t already have a few ferns, I would have ordered that one.

7/16/18

SOTD and Mail Call:

New scent and Badger Brush. I had used the soap base, balm, and splash from Stirling before but I am astounded at the quality of this brush. 24mm Fan Badger and it was sub 35$. Supposed to have a issue with the logo printing that caused them to sell it as a second. It performs better than every Badger I’ve used to date barring there is a Paladin coming and a custom Sorrentino with a High Mountain White knot so we shall see.

I get a tiny tiny floral note from this scent but the Patchouli makes me really dig this one. Standard Stirling performance with a scent I can rock for sure. Looks like there is a Bay Rum Stirling going in the PIF Box. The Bay Rum scents by themselves are starting to turn me off completely. I enjoy the Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime, and Peppercorns though so it is my one Bay Rum scent from here on I think. It’s probably the Bay part I don’t care for all Pirates like Rum (Watch my 7 sins video to understand that one).

Did i say I really dig this brush and scent! Kate delivered the usual excellent shave and I am smelling rather nice.

Oh and if you didn’t sign up for my PIF yet you really really need to!!!!!

Thanks for reading folks, have a great day tomorrow. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my friends.

Those Stirling Finest Badger Brushes are really nice! And they are a MUCH bigger brush than 24 mm.

Nice shave TJ and that brush lettering looks pretty good in that pic to me. Sounds like a winner in performance for sure. I hear a lot of good about their Badger brush.

Great stuff TJ, those Stirling badgers are some of the best values on the market for badger brushes...they certainly punch well above their weight in performance for what you pay for them!

7/18/18

INJECTA, GTB full set, Paladin PK-47 select badger

SOTD:

Nuff said about the razor and soap we all (well almost all of us) know GTB is one of best scents there has ever been!

Lets talk about this beautiful blue brush!
i would never have guessed I would like a badger as much as I have the last three shaves. If they keep getting better as they have then they have definitely earned their place back in the rotation. I’m not sure I can say I have a favorite type anymore as all three badger, boar, and synthetic all have a place in my den and work better than the others with different soaps.

I still have a Satin Tip synthetic on the way and a Sorrentino custom boar, and a Sorrentino custom High Mountain White in the works.

Have a Terrific Thursday folks thanks for reading. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you folks.

Back