The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doc’s mad rabbit hole journey.

6/29/18

Oldest son turned 7 today wow time is flying by. Got a delivery from LNHC and Mystic Water.
Couldnt wait to try this MW Irish Traveller so I cracked it open tonight. Used the body/face bar as preshave and shower soap it is fairly nice left me feeling clean and not dried out so that is a huge plus over mass production soaps. The Stirling Boar was the brush of choice and Kate was on whisker removal duty tonight. Finished off with a splash of Phillips Fougere from Black Ship and I was BBS+ and smelled my rather nice.

SOTD:

This is being my first full size MW product I was a bit cautious to load enough soap and make sure that the water wasn’t too hot and make sure that I incorporated enough water into the lather. Overall my ranking is Tier 2 Box 5 on the scale. It just didn’t have the post shave feel that the tier 1 soaps have for me and the SOS for me is extremely mild at about a 1.5/5. Slickness and cushion were nice and the residual was not at a point where I could do a cleanup pass without adding lather. Nice soap overall and no regrets on picking it up but not in the top tier for me as said before.

Have a blessed weekend folks, thanks for reading. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you.

Beautiful looking delivery TJ. Sorry it was kind of a dud for you. Hopefully the next time out it does better!

Well not every shave can be all that it should be right?

Great read, picture, and mail call!

I’m surprised to hear you say it’s post shave feel wasn’t Tier 1. To me, that is Mystic Water’s best attribute, and why I put it above almost all other soaps.

Curious to hear about the bath soaps. I only use bar soap, but have yet to order any from artisans, except for a couple from Stirling. I guess I need to get out there and try some others.

I also echo the sentiment that maybe give the soap a few more tries before you give it a final grade. It may not be elite, but it can compete for a top tier 1 spot. MW was one of the first soaps that really recognized a Post Shave Feel. The PSF in MW may have been out-paced by some of the other soap makers...but it is still up there with a lot of them. Anyway, give it a few more tries...try to dial it in...and I bet the grade will go up a bit. But then again...we are all very different with what we want in a soap and how we experience it! Thanks for letting us know how you feel bout it.

Nice mail call, TJ. Regarding the MW: I find that, for me, a boar brush is a lather killer with MW - definitely NOT the right brush for this soap, with the water at my house. I think it's because with a boar brush, water is introduced too fast - but that's just a guess. Anyway, the denser the brush, the better. I find that dense, 2-band badgers, along with denser synthetics, work best for me.

Nice mail call, TJ. Regarding the MW: I find that, for me, a boar brush is a lather killer with MW - definitely NOT the right brush for this soap, with the water at my house. I think it's because with a boar brush, water is introduced too fast - but that's just a guess. Anyway, the denser the brush, the better. I find that dense, 2-band badgers, along with denser synthetics, work best for me.

that I can see. Will definitely try with a dense synthetic on my next use. Thanks for the tip

7/1/18

Wow what a busy weekend. Got a ton and I do mean a ton of “honey do” work done. Fish aquariums all broken down and stored away (both had been empty for 3-4 months). Saloon Doors built for the pass through opening between kitchen and living room, painted 1/2 of the living room and moved bookshelves down to a more accessible location and now I am whipped and too wore out to strop a straight and shave like that so I made an executive decision and called Kate to the mound again. LNHC plaide cloimhe is the sudsy stuff and post product. Sorrentino maple tuxedo was the lather maker.

SOTD:

Oh oh and in case you were wondering we are changing the living room color drastically

It was the wine/Burgundy color now it will be that sea green/blue color. And yes it is kind of a pain to cover but these new paints that are paint primer combo type are really good at their job.

Ok now for the review of the first time I ever used a LNHC (Lisa’s Natural Herbal Creations for those that may not know what that was) soap. The scent in tub is a 2.5/5 but warms to a 3-3.5/5 when lathered. Lather was absolutely simple to get using the SV method and the Sorrentino Tuxedo had no problems with it at all. Cushion was at least 4.5/5, slickness 4.5/5, residual 4.5/5, post shave feel 5/5, overall for me this is TOP 3 soaps that I own no joke. And I’m not saying that just because she is a vendor on this site and I was not paid for my opinion LOL. This is by far the best artisan soap I own if I take Chiseled Face and SV out of the picture. I will be buying more and more of her stuff and almost want to 3017 a bunch of stuff just so SWMBO wouldn’t complain if a whole truckload of soap came in. I’m a LNHC wagon train driver for sure now. I also used the beard balm and Twofold oil by her because I’m trying to grow a big boy goatee and SWMBO says what did I do to make my beard so soft and not scratchy. It must be fabulous stuff is all I can say.

Thanks for reading folks, have a great Monday. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you!

Wow someone has been busy!

Great shave and read TJ!
What is the scent profile on the Plaide Cloimhe?
I have 2 of her soaps and will be getting more someday.

Wow someone has been busy!

Great shave and read TJ!
What is the scent profile on the Plaide Cloimhe?
I have 2 of her soaps and will be getting more someday.

its almost like a Patchouli truck drove into a smoke locker and found a forest. Lots going on I can’t pinpoint what I’m smelling. I looked on her website but it doesn’t specifically say what the profile is that I can find yet but I’m looking

I found the tag I thought I lost!!!! Rosewood and cedar lead to spicy clove, Vetiver, and Amber! It is awesomely mixed and balanced

most excellent TJ!! Sounds like you got quite a bit done around the house.

The soaps that Lisa makes are absolutely wonderful...if you're able to use, and enjoy rose, I would highly recommend her Somali Rose! Of course, the Coconut Oud has been mentioned numerous times around here, and I have to agree it's a wonderful scent!

Excellent reviews TJ and nice shaves! MW lathering can be tricky. As the LNHC glad you enjoyed it! I actually really enjoy her regular soap base as well as her luxury soap base. Both are excellent.

Back to work so you can rest! Or at least that's how I feel after the weekends.

Yep, I think I'll have to order some more Lisa's as well. Good stuff.

I've actually got some LNHC en route. I tried some samples last year, but wasn't overly impressed. CBL recently sent me a jar of the Coconut Oud, but I've only test-lathered it thus far; I'm not over-the-moon about the scent like everybody else is, but the lather seemed nice. But I decided to give the soaps another try. I got them in the original version as well as the new one just to see if I can tell a difference.

Back