The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doc’s mad rabbit hole journey.

I got home today and was rewarded with a delivery. The tell tale heart by the holy black. Dave was super generous and pif’ed this set away and I was fortunate enough to win it. I opened the box and the ceramic soap container was busted into a bunch of pieces. The soap survives and the splash and I am assuming edt did as well. Took Vlad out for a spin and ended up as DFS.

Thanks for reading folks. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you and Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!!

Yeah, sorry about the soap dish...but looks like you will. Be able to enjoy the soap.

Great couple of shave TJ!

MMMMM TABAC!

Congrats on the scores! FYI I've read some bad things about storing straigth razors in leather, something about the moisture being held in the leather. I don't know if this is true or not. I know I have a couple of fixed blade knives that are stored in leather sheaths and I have no issues.

Interesting thought Craig. I imagine if they were in a constantly moisture rich environment it might be so or the owner just didn’t take care of their razors properly. I’ll bet TJ has it licked though!

Then again, waterproofed leather is how the West was won. Ok not really.

Both Craig and Chris are correct. Storing any carbon steel knife inside a sheath or slip of any material long term isn’t really recommended and soft materials are worse than hard materials. Not so much issue with stainless blades. To be honest I was kinda thinking that the razor slips would be good for holding pens rather than the razors but if I was traveling and wanted to take a straight then I would have them for that also.

6/17/18

First let me say Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there.

Today is a mixed emotion day today. It is the first Father’s Day without my Gdaddy. I miss him tremendously. I did go visit my dad yesterday and we had an excellent day together. Today we are visiting in laws and I’m having an extremely difficult time because my wife’s oldest brother is here and we do not see eye to eye about anything and I must say that the issues with him are way beyond personal.

Well I took the Shumate Ben-Hur for a spin today and almost made hamburger out of my cheek. I made a really strong horizontal line at my cheekbone because I decided to slide forward before lifting the edge. Not wise in case you were wondering. I didn’t know it was possible for a razor to get sharper as you use it but this thing is smooth as ever and sharp as a laser.

SOTD:

Have a super Sunday and Happy Father’s Day again folks. Thanks for reading. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my brothers of the blade!

Man...sorry to hear about the racing stripe TJ. Condolences on your Gdaddy passing, but he is in HIS arms and looking down.

Good shave TJ!

Blessings on you this Father’s Day as you spend time with family.

Bummer about the cut, but at least you did it the manly way; let me tell you, nothing’s more embarrassing than doing it with a Gillette Tech...I may or may not be able to attest to that...

Nice shave yesterday TJ. Even though somber I hope you enjoyed your father's day.

Glad you had a nice visit with your dad. Bummer about the in-law side, though.

On a different note, GREAT photo! One of your best!

Delivery today!!!! Super stoked!

JA Henkels Friodur 472
boker good as gold
JA Henkels 415
Wester Gun Metal
Case 132 Red Imp Wedge
wester Manganese steel

Well, there’s a whole lotta new shaves coming up! One of those looks brand new.

Well, there’s a whole lotta new shaves coming up! One of those looks brand new.
Now those are some good looking razors!

They all look almost mint condition if not NOS except the Boker and it is in at minimum very good condition. I was extremely stoked that the photos didn’t lie and mine don’t do these pieces justice by any means. When I use them the SOTD photos will have a bit better lighting

Back