The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doc’s mad rabbit hole journey.

You're a rock star TJ! Glad the straight came to you as quickly as it did. Next....a shaving video ?

6/5/18 (SS 26)

Took the SS Feather for a cruise tonight. Soap Commander Respect soap and balm
Stirling Boar Brush.
Pro Guard blade not sure on the number of shaves on it but it is a long long way from finished

3 pass WTG/ATG/ATG normal with a tiny cleanup in my jawline gave me a very nice DFS!

SOTD:

Well it seems the tire woes are behind us and the little man is feeling much much better. Hopefully things are starting to fall a bit more back in line. Have been considering a purchase of a really nice traditional straight some lately and am just beginning to look at some online. My mind immediately switched to my dad saying “Now son is a razor really really worth spending that much money on, think about this before you do it please son!” So I have dialed back my disorder to a more appropriate “beginner” dollar amount I am willing to part with and now it just becomes a matter of what razor to buy and where to buy it.

Thanks for for reading this madness. Have a wonderful Wednesday folks. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my friends.

Great shave. Good luck with the SR search.

Getting a good piece of steel is worth the price. Remember that you will be shaving with it for years.

I know Dave knows of a few good places for straights. But I think he uses the three months salary rule like engagement rings.

did you notice a difference in the shave between the shumate and the Dixie? For me the Dixie is a way smoother shave and I’m not sure why. Maybe it was technique or angle but it seems smoother.

I did but it was angle for me, it was a touch harder to hone but once the angle was right it was just as good, the grind on the dixie is much more hollow and a bit more flexible which could account as well

Great job on the straight razor shave TJ. One does not have to break the bank in order to find really serviceable vintage straight razors. I found three Gencos that were essentially NOS on the bay a while back for an average of $30.00 a piece. They were not advertised as NOS, but when I got them there was no hone wear on the spine at all. They were not shave ready, but I did not care about that. If you find something similar, just send it to me for honing and I would be happy to make it shave for you.

As you know, there are some very good contemporary makers of straight razors, Tim Zowada, Nate's Straights and Brian Brown to name three. But all of these are pretty pricy with Brian's being the most economical the last time that I checked. I have not priced the Koraat or Jerry Stark offerings as luckily I had plenty of straight razors by the time I learned of them.

Great job on the straight razor shave TJ. One does not have to break the bank in order to find really serviceable vintage straight razors. I found three Gencos that were essentially NOS on the bay a while back for an average of $30.00 a piece. They were not advertised as NOS, but when I got them there was no hone wear on the spine at all. They were not shave ready, but I did not care about that. If you find something similar, just send it to me for honing and I would be happy to make it shave for you.

As you know, there are some very good contemporary makers of straight razors, Tim Zowada, Nate's Straights and Brian Brown to name three. But all of these are pretty pricy with Brian's being the most economical the last time that I checked. I have not priced the Koraat or Jerry Stark offerings as luckily I had plenty of straight razors by the time I learned of them.

i have 2 vintage ones and a brand new cheap straight that I am learning with. I have just begun the search for a nicer one that I will at some point reward myself with for a milestone shave not sure when that will be but the bay is definitely a place I will look thanks. And thanks for the honing offer at some point I may attempt that myself but for now others will be honing my straights.

Good stuff TJ really like the Soap Commander shave today!

Would never have tried it if my Bingle Buddy from last year had not been so awesome and hit all the right notes. Lime and Patchouli are two of my top 3 scents and it was a local company for him Thanks again Craig

Great shave TJ. I am still searching the vintage blades for the needle in a haystack.

Like everything, its quite an adventure jumping at eBay or the BSTs to get a good deal on some solid steel. They are there and patience is a virtue. Good luck with the search!

Nice photos! And get proficient with the straight before worrying about honing. It will save you much frustration.

Nice photos! And get proficient with the straight before worrying about honing. It will save you much frustration.

that is my plan!! Get good at shaving with already honed edges then begin to worry about the making an edge shave part.

6/8/18. TSR 3 SS 27

Well I was gonna let Kate come play tonight and leave the straights for a special shave this coming Sunday but my new Kanoyama Llama strop came in today and I just couldn’t pass up the chance to take it for a spin.

called up the Dixie and a wonderful CFG soap named Easy St.

SOTD

Thanks for following along on my journey, your thoughts and comments are always appreciated even if I do not individually respond to each. The wealth of knowledge passed on by the members of this and other shave forums is how this hobby stays enjoyable and how we learn what we learn.

have a super weekend folks! Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you.

I forgot to mention I received a cut free no alum burn very little a/s burn DFS+ tonight and this razor shaved way smoother than the first time I tried it. Not sure if it was the new strop, better angle control or just dumb luck but it was way smoother for certain. Thanks again for reading.

I forgot to mention I received a cut free no alum burn very little a/s burn DFS+ tonight and this razor shaved way smoother than the first time I tried it. Not sure if it was the new strop, better angle control or just dumb luck but it was way smoother for certain. Thanks again for reading.

It is a great day!

Back