The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doc’s mad rabbit hole journey.

5/29/18 (SS 24 total) 23 with replaceable blade straights tonight is shave #1 with a real traditional big boy razor.

After a wonderful weekend with the family at the beach I came home and was simply too tired to do anything yesterday. Tonight on the other hand I was itching to take one of my freshly honed straight razors for a spin.

the call was made for the Shumate Ben-Hur to do the honors with the Injector on reserve in case “you know who” showed up. SV Cosmo soap and splash suds whipped by a Sorrentino Cashmere. Pre shave was CBL unscented and 30 laps on linen 40 laps on leather pre shave 30/50 respectfully post shave.

SOTD:

I can honestly say that I have been missing the most enjoyable experience in wet shaving simply by being a bit lazy and not really sure if I wanted to spend the extra time stropping a straight. I almost got the best shave I’ve ever had and only missed it because I couldn’t figure the angle right for one spot on a ATG pass in each bend of my jawline. It will come with time and patience though I am sure.

Allergy season is swift and strong in these parts and the meds seem to greatly reduce the frequency and severity of the migraines but they don’t seem to completely eliminate the sinus pressure and post nasal drip/sore throat end of it. Those things are much much more manageable than the migraines though so I am calling a semi-win on that front anyway.

Thanks for reading along on this crazy adventure. Have a wonderful day tomorrow folks. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you.

Nice Job, is that the one that has spent some time in AZ? Great shave sir

Great first shave. Being in the same general area as you, I understand what you are talking about with the allergies.

Wonderful first straight shave with the Shumate! Your expiences with the feather AC systems is paying off indeed. Glad to hear that the migranes are going away!

Great shave and read. I am glad that your first shave with a traditional straight went so well.

I am also glad that the allergy meds are helping with the migraines.

Great first shave. Being in the same general area as you, I understand what you are talking about with the allergies.
Wonderful first straight shave with the Shumate! Your expiences with the feather AC systems is paying off indeed. Glad to hear that the migranes are going away!
Great shave and read. I am glad that your first shave with a traditional straight went so well.

I am also glad that the allergy meds are helping with the migraines.
Great stuff to catch up on, TJ!

Thanks gentlemen. This new combo seems to be working well for the migranes. the real kicker is that it is all OTC meds and none by prescription. I wish we had only found this several years sooner.

Sweet stuff TJ. TJ? You there? Oh....he already fell down the straights rabbit hole.

6/3/18 (SS #25, #2 Trad SR).

Wow on what an intense and busy week. Got absolutely hammered by rain all week and work just went nuts as farmers tried to push their equipment to get work done in between showers. Also had two tires on SWMBO vehicle go flat on two consecutive days. One tire had to be replaced due to a screw in the sidewall/tread joint and the other was fortunately able to be repaired. Now the baby boy has been sick with some sort of nasty chest cold or something similar for the last few days. Also had the ceremony for our Cub Scout pack Weblos 2 transitioning to Boy Scouts. We do this ceremony at a civil war era earthen fort in the county and use a wood bridge crossing a creek to symbolize the movement from young boys to young men.

But that is enough about the day to day hum drum of why I haven’t been documenting my really fast shaves lately and moving on to the milestone straight shave of #25. It is #2 with big boy traditional straight added to the 23 with a replaceable blade type. Another of the 3 razors I sent off to have honed before I jump into the rock quarry myself I kind of wanted to and was very correctly advised to have each professionally done so I know what to look for once I try my hand at honing. 30 laps on fabric, 40 on leather preshave and 30 fabric, 40 leather post as well.

SV Felce Aromatica soap + splash
Sorrentino Maple Tuxedo
Dixie Mfg razor (MMOC in reserve)
I coloniali balm finished with Pen’s English Fern

SOTD:

3 passes and a bit of GEM cleanup I got a most super BBS and so close to best shave ever that if this has the longevity of the best shave ever it could be the equal or even the best itself.

Thanks for reading and have a great Sunday folks. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you folks.

Wow...just...WOW. Great shave TJ! I'm kind of scared to think how you will be able to progress from here if you're already getting BBS+ shaves after 25 open blade shaves, and only the SECOND with a traditional straight! Phenomenal stuff!!!!!

Good stuff there TJ, sounds like you are mastering the straight. Hope things settle down at home for you.

Back