The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doc’s mad rabbit hole journey.

Well it’s been a bit earlier than normal but preparation for the upcoming harvest season has begun and it is insane. I’ve hired a new guy for a parts counter position and he is working out extremely well but have been spending considerable time training him. Also have been trying to send some old inventory back on a return program and get an actual physical inventory completed so we know what we actually have on hand. Then the marketing part of my job that I absolutely positively hate with an unrivaled passion. On a different note there is a meeting in December that I may have to travel some for so it might get me a free trip to somewhere if I can get away from the office and the owner allows me to go. The only thing is the vendor has not released the location yet so it could be somewhere in between Hawaii and Alaska or Canada and the Keys. Connect those dots and I might be somewhere close to a Cadre member.

On the home front, the boss is recovering fairly well and has regained some of the motion in her toes. The pain has subsided some but she still is struggling with some of the sensation loss due to nerve damage. She is more mobile now and can walk without crutches or the scooter as long as she has her boot on. Praying that she sheds the boot before the beginning of next school term because that thing is heavy and being a teacher it would really require her significant effort to walk around all day with it. Baby boy has some sort of really nasty croup cough and has been on steroids treatment for 3 days now. He is a royal butthole on steroids just like his mommy I need to add. When they put her on steroids I want to move out until she gets off of them. The oldest has been at my grandparents house all week and I hope to see him later this afternoon when they return him.

Now for today’s shave sponsored in part by ideas from @NurseDave and @dangerousdon. I decided that since I had plenty of concentration time I would put a fresh Proguard in my Bespoke Damascus shavette and take it for a spin. For those that haven’t seen one it is a folding shavette that can accept AC style blades, Injector blades, Half-DE blades, or Full DE blades. Each blade type changes the blade dynamics and changes the shave entirely. Took me forever to get it into my hands though I ordered it and after production and shipping I think it was 4-5 weeks from England. I did have the .84 OC Gamechanger on deck in case of emergency though. Haven’t used a straight in a while so my technique could have been a bit shaky. After 2 passes I was starting to feel like I was having irritation so I switched to the OC for cleanup pass. I was rewarded with a BBS++ but not quite Dolphin Smooth so I’m still gonna call this one -1 for shave golf this week.

CBL Sir Fougere
Paladin PK-47 Select Badger Cobalt
Bespoke Damascus/Feather Proguard
OC .84 Gamechanger/Voskhod
Asylum Royal Fougere splash
Creed Green Irish Tweed cologne

E9639273-47CF-404C-88B7-B3606BB5FC6E.jpeg

Thanks for reading folks. Sorry this one was a long post hopefully you stayed through the end. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my family of the Blade!

Sounds like a lot going on TJ, but don’t worry. You got this!

Hopefully the boss let's you take that trip and you can get a few moments to relax.

Prayers for you during the harvest season, as if your life isn’t already crazy on the off season!

Glad the missus is improving. Sorry to hear about the little one, we’ve had that scare at least a couple times with each out our boys when they were younger, it is late nights, a lot of worry, and zero fun! Hang in there buddy!

There that beast is. I remember last use was a bit rough as well. Gotta buckle down and use it for a week to get a handle on it. Probably not during harvest though. I’m personally waiting for it to end up on the BST. :D

Crazy household you have there brother. Sounds like work could be a bit of a break honestly.

There that beast is. I remember last use was a bit rough as well. Gotta buckle down and use it for a week to get a handle on it. Probably not during harvest though. I’m personally waiting for it to end up on the BST. :D

Crazy household you have there brother. Sounds like work could be a bit of a break honestly.
I probably would get better results with it if I used it everyday for a while. Problem with that is I usually don’t want to take the time to do that. Not a rough shave though for the most part just seems a bit more irritated on a couple spots on my neck.

After I motivated myself to go to the store I decided that it was about time for a smoked pork loin. This is the results of my afternoon. Rubbed with cayenne, coffee, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, and a tiny amount of onion powder. Apple and cherry wood tossed onto a hickory charcoal fire and then smoked it for 2.5 hours at 225-250 and it was heavenly!

E6C55057-25C3-4E50-A374-4D3130234107.jpeg

Me too Daddy. You never told me real life would be this hard. I always believed it would be simple and all my kids would just listen and never argue
You were m 1st guinea pig.....................er um child, so I was still practicing.................er um learning while raising you. But really you should have known since you were a pain in the butt and always argued with me.............

Now that is BBQ! Do you ever smoke with pecan wood? I haven't smoked anything in a long time but I love stuff smoked on pecan. It gives it a very nice...twang.

Back