The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dave's Barber Shop Discussion

Oh where, oh where has the Barber gone? Oh where, oh where can he be???

Hello.. Sorry for the late response, errands today. Well the answer to both questions is a yes and you are correct and they are correct. As far as the mohawk it is determined by the cut yet, however if it was styled differently it could be called something else. That being said however if the sides are shaved and there is a 1-2 area of hair on the top and down the back it is definitely a mohawk. Also if the Occipital ( back) is shaved the combed back version would be considered a Norse, or Viking Cut, and once stood up a 1/2 mohawk.

As to the Pompadour that is a style, as that haircut can be worn in so many ways. Pompadour is height in the style with a back comb and tradionally a "Duck Arse" in tha bacl similar to the tail feather of a duck. Modern styles keep a short side and 6-7 inches on the top that can be "pomped"

In Summary:

Mohawk: Both answers are correct with the Viking Caveat, meaning shaved or short just above the occipital ridge on the back

Pompadour is a style:
1965 Traditional 1966modern

but KJ you could with actually style your hair into a modern pomp as well

I believe when I get mine cut it favors the Vikings style but with more on the sides. Next time I barber up I will snap a pic.

I honestly have tried a lower in height pompadour and I did a Viking for a brief moment...but while I love the looks, I didn't think they looked great on me. I can't afford a sports car for my mid life crisis...but a new hair style is affordable! 🤪 Just need to find the right one.

Hello.. Sorry for the late response, errands today. Well the answer to both questions is a yes and you are correct and they are correct. As far as the mohawk it is determined by the cut yet, however if it was styled differently it could be called something else. That being said however if the sides are shaved and there is a 1-2 area of hair on the top and down the back it is definitely a mohawk. Also if the Occipital ( back) is shaved the combed back version would be considered a Norse, or Viking Cut, and once stood up a 1/2 mohawk.

As to the Pompadour that is a style, as that haircut can be worn in so many ways. Pompadour is height in the style with a back comb and tradionally a "Duck Arse" in tha bacl similar to the tail feather of a duck. Modern styles keep a short side and 6-7 inches on the top that can be "pomped"

In Summary:

Mohawk: Both answers are correct with the Viking Caveat, meaning shaved or short just above the occipital ridge on the back
View attachment 1963View attachment 1964

Pompadour is a style:
View attachment 1965 Traditional View attachment 1966modern

but KJ you could with actually style your hair into a modern pomp as well

Dave - what do you call this one?

Nice Digs Dave! If I wasn't so far away I would book an appointment. I am in desperate need of a haircut right now!

Back