The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dave's Barber Shop Discussion

Figured the barber shop was as good a place as any to post a picture of a piece of nostalgia. Was at an antique shop this weekend and found among other things from the “old road” this collection of Burma Shave highway advertising signs. Only 4 of the original 6 are here but had they all been there it would have said:
Past
Schoolhouses
Take it slow ( missing)
Let the little
Shavers grow
Burma-Shave (missing)
*slogan was originally from 1939, no idea if these signs are reproductions or originals but they definitely were not repainted 3212

Well I had one barber from birth until I joined the Army and even when I would visit home on leave I would still go visit him and let him freshen up the dome. Lovely man who retired and than unfortunately passed...cut my hair for the better part of 30+ years. A true Italian barber. Now I simply take the clippers to the melon on 0...oh well.

You know this guy, our very own uacowboy (Kyle). In my continuing discussions on haircuts. This is a unique one

0C45BB9D-2A91-4199-BDE2-2348BBD3BEAE.jpeg
5620BB12-0D28-4EA5-B336-09875393B895.jpeg
EE48D67A-8C52-4B15-AFB9-90E0E83AD934.jpeg
This is a Roffler Sculpture Kut ( a straight razor cut). This entire haircut was completed with a straight razor. This method allows a smoother flowing style while still taking a significan amount of hair off. Final detail done with a fine tooth trimmer and oil based pomade by Reuzel folowed by both brush, large tooth comb, and fine comb.

This style cut was very popular in Europe and when Edmund “Pop” Roffler brought it to the US. It took off in the late 50’s 60’s 70’s and early 80’s. Sadly after he died as well as many of the Barbers that learned this, it faded away. Luckily my mentor was an instructor for Roffler, and thus allowed me to learn this unique barbering technique and keep it alive

Recently i was asked about the Razor I use for the “Roffler Sculpture Kut” or razor cut. The haircut is done entirely, except for detail around the ears and neck line with a straight razor. It is a lost art with very few Barbers are doing this anymore on both a National or International stage, and it is sad as it is a great way to get, and perform a haircut.
Anyway this is the razor made in Solingen and was the only razor that Roffler endorsed and is a pleasure to use. Depending on the cut, length, and style can be used with or without a guard. Those that are familiar with the Weck will see some similarities.
BDEBB6C4-A5F2-4BA4-86DC-3C66D8EDE7C6.jpeg

Recently i was asked about the Razor I use for the “Roffler Sculpture Kut” or razor cut. The haircut is done entirely, except for detail around the ears and neck line with a straight razor. It is a lost art with very few Barbers are doing this anymore on both a National or International stage, and it is sad as it is a great way to get, and perform a haircut.
Anyway this is the razor made in Solingen and was the only razor that Roffler endorsed and is a pleasure to use. Depending on the cut, length, and style can be used with or without a guard. Those that are familiar with the Weck will see some similarities.
That thing looks nearly identical to the Dovo. Except that the Roffler appears to have more blade exposure.

**Edit** I didn't refresh after I got back.... Doug beat me to it.

Back