The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dave's Barber Shop Discussion

I loved going to my barber until he passed. Have several straights he had from the guy he bought the shop from 40 years prior. He passed away and since then my wife uses a Wahl with a 1/8 comb every 2-3 weeks for the past 7 years. I'm getting close to head shaving which I'd like to do but she keeps discouraging. Told her when I'm down to a ring of hair around a bold dome, It's happening.

You could just “sneeze” and accidentally have your ATG stroke “accidentally slip” half way up your head...

Indeed, I have a few clients that I do shears only, I perfer it, but to get a good taper on the neck you almost have to use a clipper of some sort, and when cleaning up the nape and around the ears, but the rest can indeed be done by shears and it more fun

All this shears/clipper talk reminds me of a haircut I got as a kid. I wanted it really short and they asked if I wanted them to use clippers and I said no. I didn’t know what they were called, and I though clippers were scissors.

I was irritated when she was using scissors on my hair, but I wasn’t one to speak up, so I went with it. She cut my hair and kept asking if it was short enough and I kept saying no. She finally said she couldn’t get any closer without clippers.

I still didn’t know what she meant by clippers, but I said OK. When I saw her actually grab the clippers, i thought, finally, that’s what I wanted her to use all along!

Im sure she was relieved when I got up out of her chair!

All this shears/clipper talk reminds me of a haircut I got as a kid. I wanted it really short and they asked if I wanted them to use clippers and I said no. I didn’t know what they were called, and I though clippers were scissors.

I was irritated when she was using scissors on my hair, but I wasn’t one to speak up, so I went with it. She cut my hair and kept asking if it was short enough and I kept saying no. She finally said she couldn’t get any closer without clippers.

I still didn’t know what she meant by clippers, but I said OK. When I saw her actually grab the clippers, i thought, finally, that’s what I wanted her to use all along!

Im sure she was relieved when I got up out of her chair!

ROFL

Finding a reliable barber who gives me the cut that I want has been a journey.

My style of choice is a disconnected undercut. The back and sides are clipped with a 0 guard, and the top is at a good length for either slicking straight back or for combing it the way it naturally lays.

I had found a nice barbershop with a great atmosphere. The first barber loved pomps and so would never slick it all the way down how I wanted. I tried a different barber who wouild give me the lockdown I was looking for. But, when I started combing to the side as well as straight back, he started leaving one side of the top hair longer than the other, so it was never easy to slick it back without extra hair to deal with. Eventually I found my current barber, who actually turned out to be a co-owner of the previous shop I was going to. He has been consistently awesome. He's moved locations a few times, and the current shop he's in has a slightly different feel, but he always treats me well and gives me the cut I want. He knows how to make my hair look its best, where to trim and where to leave growth. Top notch stuff.

So shifting the conversation ever so slightly. Let's talk about in chair discussion. Before I found my current barber I went to a stylist who really cut some great hair! But her bedside manner was in need of a little improvement. It wasn't like she was rude or inconsiderate. She was actually sweet as sweet can be. But at some point, her conversations turned into her not being able to find a boyfriend, or her trying to keep her boyfriend, or something along the lines of what is wrong with her that guys want to leave her. It seemed as if she was constantly whining. I finally decided that I didn't want to listen to her any more and found the place I am at now!

The guy I have cut my hair now is a younger dude, but has some really nice hair cutting skills. We chat about sports, sometimes razors or pomade, and that is about the extent of our conversations. Just wonder what the cadre thinks!

I think you should set him up with your previous hair cutter.

In-chair conversation is a good topic, it can also be why a haircut goes sideways. Being able to describe (in their language) the kind of cut you want is becoming more and more important. There was I time when I would say "I want a short gentleman's cut, I comb it to the side then back (like it is now), I don't want it too short but I want it off the ears" ..what they heard was "cut it all off, I WANT IT SHORT BABY". Finally, I found an older lady who had a long history. Our in chair conversation included me asking why SHE can cut my hair the way I want but the others who get the same instruction take it so short it stands up for a week. She explained that what I really wanted was a MEDIUM gentleman's cut, she went on to suggest I never use the word "short" again. She explained how the newer stylist hear "short" and stop listening because they only do one kind of short cut. My last debacle proves the same description results in drastically different cuts.

I tend to avoid conversation because it goes one of two ways, like Don described OR an epic dialogue that stretches on for an hour while she (normally a she) finds that talking and cutting it not possible because she has summoned her Italian ancestry and now requires the use of her hands (which are holding sharp tools) to talk. If i do as i did to Siri and suggest that they are less competent than my buddy Dave (I told siri max headroom was a better assistant) it shuts them up but i end up with a wicked cowlick.

I commend you Jim for being able to describe what you want.

I hate small talk with people I don't know. It's always uncomfortable for me. That's one thing I always hated about going to get my hair cut as a kid. I just wanted them to cut my hair and be quiet. That's an added benefit of cutting my own hair, I don't have to deal with that!

He never did tell us his opinion as to why she runs guys off........,Don is an investigator right? He must have an opinion
1f602.png

Well...if her conversations with her boyfriends were anything like her conversations with her clients...well then...you have your answer!

I hate small talk with people I don't know. It's always uncomfortable for me. That's one thing I always hated about going to get my hair cut as a kid. I just wanted them to cut my hair and be quiet. That's an added benefit of cutting my own hair, I don't have to deal with that!
Dude, that's where I'm at. A dread going in there and usually make it clear I'm not too picky about what I get so just do your thing.

My barber and I usually talk sports, politics, and my referee adventures. He used to umpire baseball for awhile and always likes to here the stories. For the last few years my hair has been the same, cut it real short, and let it grow back in 2.5 months. I go to the barber today and I think I am going to ask for an actual style.

Dude, that's where I'm at. A dread going in there and usually make it clear I'm not too picky about what I get so just do your thing.

I hate small talk because it’s usually the same topics and responses over and over, and I still suck at it. I don’t mind the barbers that can spin a yarn as long as they give a good haircut with it.

If I do go, I just prefer to be in, well brushed off of the cuttings (hate when a barber doesn’t properly clean you off), and back out and on with my life. Just one more reason to do it at home beside saving money.

Just left the barber. Wonder if it passes the BarberDave test

Ugh! I hate it when they don’t fully clean up the sideburns!

Looks good Chad, you look like a young, responsible...dad.

He asked if I wanted a full shave, i didn't have time today, so more sideburn clean up for me I the morning. He did clean up my neck though

Though I can sense the effort it took, I was surprised to see the first comment was a nice and concise compliment.

Sorry I missed this. The haircut looks almost complete. The haircut looks good and I hope you like it, so my review is based on what I would do, and do for every haircut.

1. The part is not all the way to the terminator of the hairline. BIG NO NO, again not speaking ill of him just does not make the haircut look complete
2. The Sideburns ( part of the finish of the haircut, ESPECIALLY a Gentlemen's haircut should be even sideburns, a shave of not only them, but the neck and especially the Ear arch, all that should be shave IMHO
3. The Blend is OK, however I do see some heavy spots that could have been smoothed out
4. I cannot see the taper on the back so cannot make a view

Over all I would give it a 8 of 10 only because, again in my opinion it was not complete, and I hope he used talc. Most importantly it does not matter whether I like it, it is whether you do.

as to the chit chat and small talk. I feel the client out, and go from there, I have some that we chat like women, and solve the worlds problems, others not two words, do the cut, show the mirror thank them and gone. even others it is just the basic who, what, where, when and why. Once they become regulars it becomes just like having a beer with a buddy.

NEXT UP IN THE Barbershop..... Types of cuts... with photos, LOL

Now i can't wait for Halloween to pass so i can go get a cut from Dave.

Back