The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dave's Barber Shop Discussion

Ok Gents as we prepare for the Grand Opening, lets get this kicked off right. As you know the barbershop is a place where a variety of topics are discussed. This is where I will be posting items, Barbering articles for discussion, answering questions, and recapping my becoming a Master Barber.

This is included what hair styles are in "vogue" traditional styles, and which one is the right for you based on you head shape and wants and needs. Also we will discuss fragrances, how to make, how the pros do it etc.

Of course we will also have the banter of a regular barbershop as well. We certainly are going to attempt to do both written and at least audio, we will see how things go.

So for our 1st discussion ( coming soon ) we will highlight hair styles, old and new. how to choose a Barber you can trust, and pricing ( you do get what you pay for.

That being said lets hear from you as to what other topics you would like to see over time.

Thanks

Absolutely we will cover that as well including pomades, gels, tonics, hair sprays, blow drying Etc, great idea!

Okay Dave...you asked for it!
1f60e.png

I used to have my Stylist put in a "hard part." Mostly because it fit the hairstyle of the time. I switched between the stylist (even though I went to her for seveal years) to a barber because I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the shop and they turned out to be a much better fit for me (cut hair just as well if not better). Anyway...I stopped doing the hard part of my own accord, but shortly after I read an article of a local barber that said hard parts are currently a "no go." Don't worry...I'm not going back...but I see guys with them every where I go?

So...what is your stance on the Hard Part?

Depends on the Local but hard parts are very in right now, especially on Comb over fades and the Modern Gents cut. They are classic and make it much easier to part the hair, as long as the barber follows the natural part of your hair. If it is done right you cannot even notice, other that a very nice Crisp hard part. I wear one and love it, one comb through the hair and a swipe and it is parted. The key is making it look natural. It should be done with a very good set of finishing trimmers and then actually straight razored in. It will require a weekly or bi-weekly touch up though, which can be a pain.

some barbers are afraid to attempt, as they can go south in a hurry, my 1st hard part was a disaster and got me the nickname of French Fry for a bit, as I went too wide, so when getting one be SURE the barber has done many and ask to see his portfolio

It also does not lend itself to give you a variety in how you wear your hair. So be sure you get the right cut.

Hope that helps

The lady who butchered me a week ago used the words hard part and comb over. I said “what ever” and BAM...I look like I gave myself a haircut while drunk again.

I’ve cut my own hair since I was 10. When I went into the military, I went to a barber once. I said, I need a military hair cut. He said, a high and tight? I said sure. Once he did that, I was like, OK, got it. I cut my hair that same way for the next 20 years. Easy peasy. I’ve cut my own hair for so long, I know what I like.... and the very few times I’ve had a barber cut it in the mean time, it was not very good...... so I don’t gave high regards for barbers, sorry Dave.

Well Military Barbers for the most part of just Buzz cutters and all all civilian contractor and not even in the military, and going to a barber is not for everyone and when I say barber I do not mean super cuts, sportsclips or the like. In fact most people are not even aware that most of the time their hair is being cut by a cosmotologist. Completely different animal and training. As to your hair KJ, I mohawk if done right ( in this case by yourself ) can look good, however believe it or not iot is one of the hardest haircuts as far as symmetry is concerned to get it right, but as long as you are happy, but find a good barber and you will never go back to self haircuts, but as long as you are using quality clippers from Oster, Wahl, or Andis they you should be good to go.

for me prior to becoming a barber it was the whole experience of a barbershop, the sights, smells and banter, along with supporting an age old trade, and now even more so.

The lady who butchered me a week ago used the words hard part and comb over. I said “what ever” and BAM...I look like I gave myself a haircut while drunk again.

Seeing your hair NO ONE should have ever mentioned hard part and comb over was she a cosmo????

I’ve used Wahl clippers my whole life. I’ve really wanted to upgrade to Oster, but couldn’t justify the cost. I’ve had to replace my Wahl clippers a couple of times, but In 30 years have still not spent on them what one Oster costs.

I really wanted to like the barbers. I love the atmosphere, the smells and everything. But I’ve never been happy with a cut that a barber has given me (except for that first military cut, which was from an actual barber) I have always gotten better cuts from a cosmetologist.

I used to to cut my boys’ hair. Until they wanted something different than a high & tight. I took them to a barber and never got a good hair cut. I tried a few different barbers. All were horrible. Now, they just go see a cosmetologist. And they get nice haircuts.

I don’t know what is up with the barbers here....

yep that is too bad I may have to ride the FJR up ther just to give you and the fam a haircut, LOL and a good pair of Osters can be had for about 150.00 Professional Like the Oster 76 but I use both Osters and Wahl Adjustables

yep that is too bad I may have to ride the FJR up ther just to give you and the fam a haircut, LOL and a good pair of Osters can be had for about 150.00 Professional Like the Oster 76 but I use both Osters and Wahl Adjustables

I was looking at the Oster 76. But a $30 Wahl clippers will last me at least 10 years, with a once a month haircut, before it needs replacing. I’ve only had 2 lock up on me so far. On my 3rd Wahl.

Like shaving, cutting my own hair is kind of a zen moment for me. I really enjoy the process of it. Even as easy as my hair is now to trim, it’s still deeply satisfying.

Seeing your hair NO ONE should have ever mentioned hard part and comb over was she a cosmo????
she was a nut ball. I should have suspected something was up when she turned me from the mirror. You saw my cut, it’s like a 6inch side hard part from my ear the the top of my head.

and yes Shawn, I decided once that I should use a straight razor to clean up my neck and it went ...well, north, from there. My barber (true barber) admonished me AFTER laughing her butt off. There was a time back around the time my second son was born that I would shave my own head using an OSTER with a few guards. Before then my mom cut my hair. She had been shown how to cut mine and my dads hair by a friend who owned a salon. No matter what I asked for I always got the same scissor cut. When went to a Supercuts for the first time I was pretty ticked that they pulled out the clippers and did very little scissor work. In my mind a scissor cut (or hair shaper and comb) deliver a better cut and it feels like the person doing it has some skill.

There is definitely a difference between the clipper queens at greatclips and the barbershop. I will grant that a clipper fade or flat top is NOT an easy cut, so it’s not the clippers that I dislike it’s when clippers are a crutch for an otherwise mediocre stylist. If you’ve followed #handlbardave on Instagram you have seen what I mean by clipper fades and flattops done right

Indeed, I have a few clients that I do shears only, I perfer it, but to get a good taper on the neck you almost have to use a clipper of some sort, and when cleaning up the nape and around the ears, but the rest can indeed be done by shears and it more fun

Depends on the Local but hard parts are very in right now, especially on Comb over fades and the Modern Gents cut. They are classic and make it much easier to part the hair, as long as the barber follows the natural part of your hair. If it is done right you cannot even notice, other that a very nice Crisp hard part. I wear one and love it, one comb through the hair and a swipe and it is parted. The key is making it look natural. It should be done with a very good set of finishing trimmers and then actually straight razored in. It will require a weekly or bi-weekly touch up though, which can be a pain.

some barbers are afraid to attempt, as they can go south in a hurry, my 1st hard part was a disaster and got me the nickname of French Fry for a bit, as I went too wide, so when getting one be SURE the barber has done many and ask to see his portfolio

It also does not lend itself to give you a variety in how you wear your hair. So be sure you get the right cut.

Hope that helps

Thanks Dave! That definitely clears it up a bit!

Talking about military barbers...

One of my times in Okinawa on one of the bases there. I needed my WEEKLY haircut (yup...we had to get them weekly) and went to the base barbershop. I don't expect that these folks had much in the way of training as it was on man and four tiny Okinawan ladies. All zip zooming and cutting away. No words were uttered except the very distinct choices of High and Tight, High Reg, Medium Reg, and Low Reg. Although no one dared to select the Low Reg Option as your squad leader or platoon sgt would likely have you run 10 to 15 miles and then make you get another hair cut. Anyway...I remember sitting in the chair, I selected the High Reg option and all of the sudden the sensation of comb and clippers sped across the back and sides of my head. Once finished, a soothing hand rubbed alcohol or witch haze, or some kind of liquid concoction on the back of my head. Then the head and should massage. Ah, that was the stuff. I quick little rub of the head and chopping on the shoulders was just the thing to relax you for about 30 seconds. Then it stopped. And you braced yourself fro what happened next. A firm slap to the back of the head indicated that it was time for you to get out of the chair to pay and tip. But the slap really felt like the tiny little lady got a running start and...BAM! Time to to get up.

I loved going to my barber until he passed. Have several straights he had from the guy he bought the shop from 40 years prior. He passed away and since then my wife uses a Wahl with a 1/8 comb every 2-3 weeks for the past 7 years. I'm getting close to head shaving which I'd like to do but she keeps discouraging. Told her when I'm down to a ring of hair around a bold dome, It's happening.

Back