The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Monday July 20, 2020
Razor: Schick "G" Injector
Blade: Chick (?)
Brush: Cadre 2nd Anniversary with 70/30 Badger/Boar
Soap: Tonsorial Williams
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Barbasol Pacific Rush
Fragrance: Azzaro Visit

Today's shave was everything yesterday's wasn't. Great lather and a great blade and razor gave a superb finish with the Pacific Rush and Visit EdT which punches way above it's price point. The constant time on the Island recently has given me pause to reflect on my shaves and what I want/need from them.
miscellaneous-escape-escape_committees-desert_island-committee-rescue-jgrn1633_low.jpg
I wouldn't be selling off much more if any from the soaps/ aftershaves or fragrances as you can't really get their worth recouped. But it will be a rare occasion to buy anything new until I pair things down further thru use. As far as razors are concerned I like variety and using unusual and rare vintage razors but this Injector is such a simple, cheap and effective tool that it showed I really need nothing else. I'm keeping what I have for now but I'm going to try and stick with what I have without additions unless it replaces 1 I have. Bowing out of all the pass arounds of new razors elsewhere as I don't need anything new. I go thru these feelings from time to time and we'll see if I can stick with it or my feelings change. Let the ribbing from the Peanut Gallery begin. The soap today was an adventure of chasing broken pieces around the bowl today which I don't like. I mushed the pieces back together in the bottom of the bowl and we will see if they stick together for the next shave. If not they may get transferred to the clown puke tub and I will call it done. LONG work day today but will take 2 days off after getting thru it. Have a great day Cadre !!!!
IMG_20200719_192352039.jpg

I go back and forth thinking the same thing. I will gather various bits, hold what I have, downsize a bit then repeat. You won’t get any grief from me. I am currently using what I have and downsizing a bit. I like to think I’m separating wheat from chaff.

No ribbing from me, Dave. There's a big difference between Needs-vs-Wants and while I splurge now and then, it's always a conscious decision that I've thought over for a while. Very little splurge-buying from me.

[QUOTE="Dave in KY, post: 214226, member
I wouldn't be selling off much more if any from the soaps/ aftershaves or fragrances as you can't really get their worth recouped. But it will be a rare occasion to buy anything new until I pair things down further thru use. As far as razors are concerned I like variety and using unusual and rare vintage razors but this Injector is such a simple, cheap and effective tool that it showed I really need nothing else. I'm keeping what I have for now but I'm going to try and stick with what I have without additions unless it replaces 1 I have. Bowing out of all the pass arounds of new razors elsewhere as I don't need anything new. I go thru these feelings from time to time and we'll see if I can stick with it or my feelings change. Let the ribbing from the Peanut Gallery begin
[/QUOTE]
No ribbing from this part of the Peanut Gallery--I often have these types of thoughts roaming my brain. There is nothing wrong with taking a breather and seeing where it goes. I don't have the vintage razor thing going as you do but I do have plenty of modern razors to choose from and now, with the addition of a Timeless Ti razor, I don't see any need to acquire more. Nor do I have any room for more stuff though I do have a couple of new soaps coming. My situation aside, you have plenty of nice frags, soaps, brushes and razors to keep you busy for a while. Your approach is a good one and, for what little it may be worth, gets the Southsider Seal of Approval.

I go back and forth thinking the same thing. I will gather various bits, hold what I have, downsize a bit then repeat. You won’t get any grief from me. I am currently using what I have and downsizing a bit. I like to think I’m separating wheat from chaff.
Thanks Tim! Good analogy 👍

No ribbing from me, Dave. There's a big difference between Needs-vs-Wants and while I splurge now and then, it's always a conscious decision that I've thought over for a while. Very little splurge-buying from me.
[QUOTE="Dave in KY, post: 214226, member
I wouldn't be selling off much more if any from the soaps/ aftershaves or fragrances as you can't really get their worth recouped. But it will be a rare occasion to buy anything new until I pair things down further thru use. As far as razors are concerned I like variety and using unusual and rare vintage razors but this Injector is such a simple, cheap and effective tool that it showed I really need nothing else. I'm keeping what I have for now but I'm going to try and stick with what I have without additions unless it replaces 1 I have. Bowing out of all the pass arounds of new razors elsewhere as I don't need anything new. I go thru these feelings from time to time and we'll see if I can stick with it or my feelings change. Let the ribbing from the Peanut Gallery begin

Thank you Gentlemen 👍

This peanut gallery has been "closed for the season" since Jan 1 so no ribbing here. I am enjoying using what I have and with the exception of swapping a brush for a Feather SS, nothing will be coming in. I even had to pass on Steve's fine offer of making a brush (that one was rough to turn down). Time to enjoy and use what we have...make room for a couple come next year...and @Graydog brush!

This peanut gallery has been "closed for the season" since Jan 1 so no ribbing here. I am enjoying using what I have and with the exception of swapping a brush for a Feather SS, nothing will be coming in. I even had to pass on Steve's fine offer of making a brush (that one was rough to turn down). Time to enjoy and use what we have...make room for a couple come next year...and @Graydog brush!
Thanks Ed and the Peanut Gallery will arrive eventually 😊

I'm for sure on the same boat for the most part. There's stuff I'd like to try, but it won't kill me to not buy it.

Funny I was literally thinking that during my shave. There is one soap and aftershave set that I want and one other straight razor that I am after, but other than that I am wanting to just focus on what I have and appreciate it.

Do tell, whatcha looking for ?

Don't worry I have already told Katelyn...but I'll tell anyways. The soap and aftershave set that I want, but do not have yet is Noble Otter Lonestar. They have been out of stock for a while, I keep checking to see if they are announcing when it will be re-stocked. The straight razor I am looking for is a Dorko 1151. I saw one reasonably priced a couple weeks ago and I am kicking myself for not jumping on it, but I was currently bidding on a Filli 14.
Okay I lied there is one other razor I want, but I blame y'all for hyping it up so much and that would be the Vector. I like the slim head on it and that is a "must have" razor.
I ordered some scent samples from Stirling and I have a feeling that scents will be my new acquisition disorder if I start down that rabbit hole.

Don't worry I have already told Katelyn...but I'll tell anyways. The soap and aftershave set that I want, but do not have yet is Noble Otter Lonestar. They have been out of stock for a while, I keep checking to see if they are announcing when it will be re-stocked. The straight razor I am looking for is a Dorko 1151. I saw one reasonably priced a couple weeks ago and I am kicking myself for not jumping on it, but I was currently bidding on a Filli 14.
Okay I lied there is one other razor I want, but I blame y'all for hyping it up so much and that would be the Vector. I like the slim head on it and that is a "must have" razor.
I ordered some scent samples from Stirling and I have a feeling that scents will be my new acquisition disorder if I start down that rabbit hole.
I was actually just curious myself 😂 The Vector is a great razor (y)

I was actually just curious myself 😂 The Vector is a great razor (y)

There are other soaps that I want, but I want to finish off some of the ones I have first. Cubebe and Opuntia are ones that immediately come to mind, but I would want to finish off a summer and fall soap that I know I won't buy again. Right now for summer it would be either Two Kings or Stirling Hipster. Both are great soaps, but scents that are similar to other ones I have, or in the case of Two Kings, a scent I am not overly fond of. For fall it would be Proraso Red. Again another great soap, but I like TOBS Sandalwood a little more.

The Vector is definitely a purchase I will be looking into at the end of the year. From what I have read here and YouTube reviews on it I am sold.

There are other soaps that I want, but I want to finish off some of the ones I have first. Cubebe and Opuntia are ones that immediately come to mind, but I would want to finish off a summer and fall soap that I know I won't buy again. Right now for summer it would be either Two Kings or Stirling Hipster. Both are great soaps, but scents that are similar to other ones I have, or in the case of Two Kings, a scent I am not overly fond of. For fall it would be Proraso Red. Again another great soap, but I like TOBS Sandalwood a little more.

The Vector is definitely a purchase I will be looking into at the end of the year. From what I have read here and YouTube reviews on it I am sold.
I would go for Opuntia over Cubebe but that's just me 👍

Back