The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Dave in KY

Shave Newbie
1st time ever doing a journal and will try to keep some regular updates to shaves here although I don't know how regular my entries will be. We'll see how it goes........

Today I took a second day to use my Rockwell 6s R5

Razor: Rockwell 6s R5
Blade: Pol Silver SI (8)
Brush: Rubberset 400 with a Tuxedo Synthetic Knot
Soap: Chiseled Face Summer Storm Soap
Aftershave: Humprhey's Witch Hazel and Chiseled Face Summer Storm

After using my new to me Karve with plate "D" for a week I wanted to go back to the 6s again to compare. I need more cleanup using the 6s but get a MUCH smoother shave than with the "D" plate Karve. I hope to get a "C" plate eventually to compare and maybe an "F" as well. I love the Karve and get smooth shaves but have to pay more attention to the process than with the 6s which can be like autopilot and mindless shaving without irritation for me. So I enjoy both and both are still fairly new to me as I was up til now a Vintage razor guy. That's #1 for the books

Great first entry Dave, and great picture! Looking forward to more as they come!

Great shave to start things out Dave!

I don’t have either a Karve or 6S but they both sound like excellent razors!

Thanks guys. I have been on the fence about a Timeless and have been lusting for a .68 with open comb and scalloped cap for awhile. Big chunk of change to me so these 2 were my first entry to modern DE's. Maybe down the road I'll take that plunge. I've been happy with these 2 for sure so it's motivating me. May watch the Bay for a little and see if 1 pops up meeting my criteria. I dabbled in straights some years ago and did fairly well but feel I was killing the edge when stropping. Too expensive to send out all the time and got back into DE's which are easier especially since I wear glasses for astigmatism and whatever close up is called but NOT while shaving. That's not easy for me with the straight as compared to the DE.

Welcome to the journal Section Dave!

Good 1st entry, shave, and picture!

I love my 6S!

Excellent entry Dave! And great pic! The Timeless is a great razor, and someday too I will likely buy one. But it is a pretty big financial commitment. Keep sharing...I think you find that there a a lot of people here who will read it.

I absolutely love my Timeless. Highly recommend it.

Welcome to the cadre and to journals it really is alot of fun

Great first entry!

KY is a beautiful state. The wife and I drove up last year to check out the Ark.

Dave, how's the Humphreys? How does it compare to Thayer's, Dickinson's, or generic? Just curious. I saw it in WalMart yesterday and could not believe how expensive it was. Same ingredients as generic though. So, is there a difference?

Dave, how's the Humphreys? How does it compare to Thayer's, Dickinson's, or generic? Just curious. I saw it in WalMart yesterday and could not believe how expensive it was. Same ingredients as generic though. So, is there a difference?
Member at another forum turned me on to it. His family used it and it's what he always used so wanted to give it a try. I have the 1 with alcohol (Most you see are without, so watch if it matters) I like it w/Alcohol as an option to my Thayers without. Works great and to me has a Bay Rum scent to it. Hard for me to compare as 1 has alcohol and 1 doesn't. Invited that member here and he said he was submitting to join so maybe he can give more input (GlazedBoker on another forum)

Today I waited to shave til I got back from my early 1st Cardio Treadmill Stress Test. Passed so on to other tests narrowing some symptoms down. Nothing major, onto the shave.

Got my Razor back from Delta Echo which needed some adjustments I feel. Doors were hanging up on blade and not closing intermittently and didn't shave the same as my other Slim. He said he didn't see an issue when it arrived but disassembled and reassembled to be sure all was well. Will need a couple more shaves with it and my Original Finish one before I know if anything was accomplished but had a nice shave with a new Voskhod blade.

I get easy lather and a nice scent from the Caswell Massey Holy Black but it isn't as slick as some of my other soaps. Still very a good soap and nice citrusy (made that word up) scent to me. I was never good and picking out notes and such. It either clicks for me or doesn't. This is nice but not one I gravitate to and grab often. Uneventful smooth shave. The Anthony's Barber Bay Rum is something my brother in Levittown,PA sent that his barber makes occasionally and sells. Nice soothing stuff that has a scent that has good staying power which I like as I don't really do any colognes or anything. Hope everyone has a GREAT day !!

Another Holy Black user! Now I really am going to have to try this stuff out.

And I agree...great looking slim!

Thanks guys. Slim is my Birth yr/qtr and the Holy Black in the limited ceramic was acquired thru a trade. Never heard of them when I 1st got it back then.

Nice shave. I am glad that your treadmill test went well. The Delta Echo razor looks great.

Back