The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

TAGGING @GearNoir and @Maryland998
Friday July 3, 2020
Razor: @Graydog Star Lather Catcher
Blade: Gem Personna (1)
Brush: @Graydog Quilt Brush
Soap: @Graydog Mershaving
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Aqua Velva
Talc: Skipped
Fragrance: Nautica Blue EdT

So this is a shave to cover a lot of bases. Steve @Graydog was extremely generous to put this razor in with a recent brush delivery. To say these things are a piece of history is an understatement and they have always looked COOL to me and had me curious. They normally go for a good bit especially if they are in this nice condition and in the litho tin. It did have me a little scared which brings me to the #newtome and #scaredtoshave that I was tagged on by @BarberDave Steve said he wanted to see me shave with it so there's the need for a video and killing a few birds with one stone.

The scared part ended up being unfounded as I survived with minimal nickage probably due to the new gem blade. It is an extremely light razor but well made and a marvel of days gone by. As I type this I feel how smooth my face is and am surprised and how NICE of a shave it actually was, even though the performance of the soap is poor to me. The scent is a nice fresh cool scent and pleasant. I can imagine with a better soap with slickness would make it an amazing experience and look forward to future uses of this cherished beauty. Thanks again Steve (y)

Video in my VLOG in the media section. Heading over an hour to Knoxville to retrieve that @Bill in Oneida guy and take him home as he is mobile with pain but mobile enough that they are booting him out of the Hospital. Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200703_070236403_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday July 4, 2020
Razor: Wunderbar
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: Rubberset 400/ @Clouds Ferrule/ Whipped Dog Silvertip
Soap: Top Secret / Confidential / Off Limits / I'd tell you but They'll KILL you and I
Aftershave 2: Skin Bracer
Fragrance: Acqua Di Gio Profumo

The Wunderbar razor was a nice 1st outing but off to the BST it goes.
tenor (3).gif
Just kidding. Paying attention gets you a mild yet efficient shave. Time will tell but I think I'm going to like this one and am glad I was able to get one. Thanks again John @DeepSea for helping navigate the Reddit deal. The Rubberset with the @Clouds Ferrule and Silvertip from Whipped Dog is a dream to use. Thanks Claudio !! The soap is..................................................................................................................................................................................... and that's all I can say about it. Topped off with Skin Bracer and Profumo and ready for the day. Have a GREAT day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200704_065321088.jpg

The Wunderbar razor was a nice 1st outing but off to the BST it goes.
tenor (3).gif

Just kidding. Paying attention gets you a mild yet efficient shave. Time will tell but I think I'm going to like this one and am glad I was able to get one.
Nice. You had me there for a moment. My Wonderbar (the one with the correct and most beautiful Ti handle) arrived yesterday and I likely will shave with it tomorrow. Yesterday my weapon of choice was the Diamondback. We are very lucky to have all these high quality choices.

My wunderbar is so close yet so far. A whole 40 miles away. My heart sank a little before I kept reading. Not skimming paid off. :ROFLMAO: And I'm glad Bill is at least somewhat ambulatory again, I hope he heals of fast!

Customary reminder to stay cool and hydrated.

Sunday July 5, 2020
Razor: Rockwell 6s Plate 5
Blade: Wizamet (4)
Brush: Sorrentino Orange Crush
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver
Aftershave 2: Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver
Fragrance: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Wanted a smooth mild shave today and a luxury one since it's my Bride and My 34th Anniversary. Went with the Rockwell 6s and the SV Desert Vetiver. Did a boring video since it was a new product but don't think I talked much. Still enduring the stones so feeling blah. We'll just trudge on and things will pass. Have a great day Cadre !!
IMG_20200704_161113011.jpg

Happy anniversary, Dave! I hope the stones don't interfere with the occasion.

Back