The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Sunday June 28, 2020
Razor: Stirling 316 SS Standard Head
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: TSC Legacy
Soap: Tonsorial Williams
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Avon Island Lime
Talc: Vintage Mennen
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Bayolea

Back on the Island with Sam @woodpusher and a shout out to him in the video uploading as well as KJ and Fluffy. So that means it was the Tonsorial Williams soap 1508.5 continuing. It gave what was needed for the Stirling ST head razor to swipe off the suds and whiskers. I told the wife when the razors arrived and the eye stare started that this is a pass where I won't be buying them because they are purported to be too aggressive a razor for me........................whispering now so she doesn't hear "I like the ST head and will be watching for it perhaps when released" I got a fast shave in, I reopened the stall grab from yesterday as well as removed a pimple but actually I was very impressed with the smoothness even with the blade feel and the efficient shave had. Going to dial it in with a couple more shaves for sure but I can tell it will be on my radar when released if I can swing it having been out of work for 3 months now. Topped off with Humphrey's Maravilla 70, Avon Island Lime and Penhaligon's Bayolea. I think I preferred the handle I shaved with today on the ST head but can't remember which it is. I like the looks of both but slightly favoring this one and the grip/feel was more than adequate. @Joe Hackett Rod and Mandy have a couple GREAT razors in the pipeline here for sure that will bridge a good gap (see what I did there) of razor enthusiasts. between the 2 head choices. Have a great day Cadre !!!!
IMG_20200627_200018699.jpgIMG_20200627_200041390.jpg

I told the wife when the razors arrived and the eye stare started that this is a pass where I won't be buying them because they are purported to be too aggressive a razor for me........................whispering now so she doesn't hear "I like the ST head and will be watching for it perhaps when released" I got a fast shave in, I reopened the stall grab from yesterday as well as removed a pimple but actually I was very impressed with the smoothness even with the blade feel and the efficient shave had. Going to dial it in with a couple more shaves for sure but I can tell it will be on my radar when released if I can swing it having been out of work for 3 months now.
Don't look now but your pants are on fire.

LOVE that pizza. Hmm wife is making shrimp po boys... Can I convince her to go for pizza. Hmmm
Seriously? A pizza over a Shrimp Po-Boy? She must not be making them right? Are you using fresh New Orleans French Bread? Of course not...you probably have it on a hoagie roll or something. Fried Shrimp? Do you have all the fixins? Does it look like this?

1593348065752.png

If it doesn't look like this...then just throw it away! It's not worth the time or effort. Maybe you should get the Pizza. 🤪

By the way Chad...I'm just kidding. I'm actually proud that you used the term Po-Boy. Tell Megan that I am positive that they are delicious!

So @Dave in KY you have two different razors or two heads and one handle? I am digging the look of those razors. How aggressive or mild is the Standard Head? Just curious...because it looks like you liked this one a lot. Nice Shave by the way!

Seriously? A pizza over a Shrimp Po-Boy? She must not be making them right? Are you using fresh New Orleans French Bread? Of course not...you probably have it on a hoagie roll or something. Fried Shrimp? Do you have all the fixins? Does it look like this?

View attachment 28435

If it doesn't look like this...then just throw it away! It's not worth the time or effort. Maybe you should get the Pizza. 🤪

By the way Chad...I'm just kidding. I'm actually proud that you used the term Po-Boy. Tell Megan that I am positive that they are delicious!
This is just cruel. Right now I am so hungry just looking at that piece of heaven!

This is just cruel. Right now I am so hungry just looking at that piece of heaven!
I am actually craving a shrimp po-boy right now! I have to do some yard work, but I am thinking of grabbing one for lunch! You can throw a stone around here and get a really good po-boy!

Monday June 29, 2020
Razor: @Joe Hackett Stirling 316 SS Standard Head
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Brush: Rubberset 400 @Clouds Ferrule/Cashmere
Soap: @Dragonsbeard Ethos Succes
Aftershave 2: Ethos Succes Skin Food Splash
Fragrance: Ethos Succes EdP

So I had another shave with the ST (Standard) Head and got a close comfortable shave. The fit, finish and tolerances on the razor are great. They are going to be a hit for The Stirling family for sure. After today's shave I have come to the conclusion that while I can get a comfortable and close shave, they are just more aggressive than I desire or need for my daily shaving routine and so probably not a fit for me. I thank Rod for making this pass possible and will get these mailed today so as to expedite it to others waiting for the chance to try them out. Back to Knoxville as Bill is getting moved to a regular room as they get him to a point he is mobile enough to go home. Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200628_202856544.jpg

Monday June 29, 2020
Razor: @Joe Hackett Stirling 316 SS Standard Head
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Brush: Rubberset 400 @Clouds Ferrule/Cashmere
Soap: @Dragonsbeard Ethos Succes
Aftershave 2: Ethos Succes Skin Food Splash
Fragrance: Ethos Succes EdP

So I had another shave with the ST (Standard) Head and got a close comfortable shave. The fit, finish and tolerances on the razor are great. They are going to be a hit for The Stirling family for sure. After today's shave I have come to the conclusion that while I can get a comfortable and close shave, they are just more aggressive than I desire or need for my daily shaving routine and so probably not a fit for me. I thank Rod for making this pass possible and will get these mailed today so as to expedite it to others waiting for the chance to try them out. Back to Knoxville as Bill is getting moved to a regular room as they get him to a point he is mobile enough to go home. Have a great day Cadre !!!
View attachment 28517

Hi Dave

Your assessment of the Stirling razor with both baseplates is similar to mine. I think Rod did a great job and god knows he had his challenges and its a razor I’d love to support him by purchasing one but after much thought I think that the mild plate should have been milder so it would appeal to more folks which would fit his whole product line profile. My hopes are maybe he will come out with one in the future which would sort of be the opposite of how most razors start out. Which is with mild plate first and then add more efficiency later. Again I’d love to support the razor but my other problem is I have a couple of razors of the same efficiency level as the hyper efficient baseplate like my Ikon Tech and 2011 R41 but hardly ever use them unless I want to give my technique & focus a check up. The mild plate has a little to much blade feel for me as a daily shaver even though it can definitely be used as one but I must be getting lazy in my old age as I lean towards efficient and smooth razors.

As always Dave an excellent review and I’m jealous of your photo skills!

Hi Dave

Your assessment of the Stirling razor with both baseplates is similar to mine. I think Rod did a great job and god knows he had his challenges and its a razor I’d love to support him by purchasing one but after much thought I think that the mild plate should have been milder so it would appeal to more folks which would fit his whole product line profile. My hopes are maybe he will come out with one in the future which would sort of be the opposite of how most razors start out. Which is with mild plate first and then add more efficiency later. Again I’d love to support the razor but my other problem is I have a couple of razors of the same efficiency level as the hyper efficient baseplate like my Ikon Tech and 2011 R41 but hardly ever use them unless I want to give my technique & focus a check up. The mild plate has a little to much blade feel for me as a daily shaver even though it can definitely be used as one but must be getting lazy in my old age as I lean towards efficient and smooth razors.

As always Dave an excellent review and I’m jealous of your photo skills!
Thanks Frank and my photo skills stink compared to most around here. Hope you are well my friend !

Thanks Frank and my photo skills stink compared to most around here. Hope you are well my friend !

Doing ok and I know I haven’t been as active on the forums lately but I’ve been working some crazy hrs trying to get the next group of ETHOS products out along with going back to my normal day job and working on a new CBD product they want me to develop.. A bit overwhelming but I finally got one of my employees back to help me and today’s his first day back!
Thank you for asking my friend! Hope all is well with you and yours to.
👍🏼😊

Great shave Dave! I appreciate the review. I am not a fan of super aggressive razors just because I have sensitive skin, so I will have to pass on these. When Stirling comes out with a more mild razor I will definitely be ordering it to support them! Have a great day!

Back