The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Tuesday June 23, 2020
Razor: Lupo
Blade: Feather (3)
Brush: Shaving Cadre 2nd Anniversary
Soap: CBL Premium Ghost Banana
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Avon Windjammer
Talc: n/a
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

Nice shave today with the Lupo and a Feather on shave 3. Doesn't feel as sharp and I never did see the hype over these blades. There are much better and sharper that last longer for me and are far smoother. Oh well, to each there own. The Ghost Banana is a great scent and the cooling is perfect.
tenor (2).gif
It was whipped up nicely by the 2nd Anniversary Brush with a 70/30 Badger/Boar knot that only shed 3 hairs today after the 20+ the 1st use. There's hope. It has a little scritch that will no doubt soften as the boar hairs start to split with use. It is a nice pillow on the face feel as far as the backbone. Just enough to take care of business without being overly stiff. Looking forward to as it breaks in more. My brother comes today again with a bunch of parts and a tank of refrigerant to hopefully get the AC going properly again. Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200622_194058395.jpg
IMG_20200623_061921414.jpg

I’m still thinking about that 70/30 knot to tweak my brush also.

Hope you get your AC sorted quickly.

A working AC is somethign next to essential for us.
Me too, hard to breath otherwise......
I’m still thinking about that 70/30 knot to tweak my brush also.

Hope you get your AC sorted quickly.
Thanks Tim, it's a good knot so far but one that takes time to break in to see what the final result will be. Still it's nice out of the box too. I just think it will be even better as time goes by. Time will tell.

You did a great job with that knot Dave. I have often wondered about the hybrid knots. They seem like a great idea. I think feather blades are good blades. But like you, I don't think they last any longer than other blades...maybe a shave or two. But for the price? Honestly I am really liking the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum. Super sharp with a hint of smoothness. And can be had for anywhere between $12 and $20 for a pack of 100.

Hopefully the AC gets fixed up soon. Living in the south (and yeah...even though you all get snow...I still consider KY in the South) you gotta have that AC in the Summer...or anytime.

You did a great job with that knot Dave. I have often wondered about the hybrid knots. They seem like a great idea. I think feather blades are good blades. But like you, I don't think they last any longer than other blades...maybe a shave or two. But for the price? Honestly I am really liking the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum. Super sharp with a hint of smoothness. And can be had for anywhere between $12 and $20 for a pack of 100.

Hopefully the AC gets fixed up soon. Living in the south (and yeah...even though you all get snow...I still consider KY in the South) you gotta have that AC in the Summer...or anytime.
Thanks Don (y)

I started out with Feathers and immediately questioned what all the fuss was about. They're alright, and I agree that there are better blades out there that check all the boxes for me. Wizamet FTW! Stay cool and hydrated.

Clint Eastwood approves!

giphy.gif

That's an overhaul. There ought to be statues of Willis Carrier all over the world. Truly a man of inspired genius.

Wednesday June 24, 2020
Razor: GC .84 SB
Blade: Wizamet (4)
Brush: @Techichi The Hive
Soap: Tonsorial Williams
Aftershave 2: Skin Bracer
Talc: Vintage Mennen
Fragrance: BVLGARI Man in Black Essence

Simple shave but hit on all cylinders and was a great finish. Smell good but moving slow. Yard mowing later today. Have a few things coming in such as the Wunderbar soon hopefully. Got tracking but still just shows label printed so not sure if it's in the system or just wasn't scanned which happens sometimes. Also a new talc brush coming from @Graydog along with a sweet gift in the form of another razor. I will save the reveal til it arrives but I'll say it has to do with my official shave shirt and baseball......................Also the Dark Desert Vetiver SV set coming as well as the 2 Stirling razors to try, so good things on the horizon. Have a great hump day Cadre !!!!
IMG_20200624_062340550.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday June 24, 2020
Razor: GC .84 SB
Blade: Wizamet (4)
Brush: @Techichi The Hive
Soap: Tonsorial Williams
Aftershave 2: Skin Bracer
Talc: Vintage Mennen
Fragrance: BVLGARI Man in Black Essence

Simple shave but hit on all cylinders and was a great finish. Smell good but moving slow. Yard mowing later today. Have a few things coming in such as the Wunderbar soon hopefully. Got tracking but still just shows label printed so not sure if it's in the system or just wasn't scanned which happens sometimes. Also a new lather brush coming from @Graydog along with a sweet gift in the form of another razor. I will save the reveal til it arrives but I'll say it has to do with my official shave shirt and baseball......................Also the Dark Desert Vetiver SV set coming as well so good things on the horizon. Have a great hump day Cadre !!!!
View attachment 27961
TALC Brush 😎
Please don't use it for Lather 😜
You would probably stop up your drain again with hair 😂

Back