The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Thursday June 4, 2020
Razor: Rockwell 6s Plate 5
Blade: Wizamet (4)
Brush: @Graydog Cocobolo
Soap: Vintage Williams
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Bootleggers Bay Rum
Fragrance: Nuit D'Issey Noir Argent

Great shave........................it didn't give an olfactory experience to enjoy but the performance was where it shined. Scent supplied by Issey Miyake and I'm ready for the day. Enjoy yours Cadre !!!
IMG_20200603_182438445.jpg

Never had much luck with Williams...but then again I never used the Vintage variety either. I have a vintage puck...so at some point I will use it. Great shave today Dave!

Friday June 5, 2020
Razor: Gillette Big Fellow
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: @Graydog Quilt
Soap: @CBLSoap.com Pierre Cardin
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Pierre Cardin
Knife: @ShawnF

So my Stick Tubes came in and I loaded my CBL Pierre Cardin in one. Whipped up the lather with my Graydog Quilt which is a favorite of the 30 brushes I have. The soap as we all know is phenomenal performer but like others have said, the soap base seems to over ride the scent. I really didn't get a distinguishable sniff of the Pierre Cardin scent. It was nice but really needs ratcheting it up to smell anything besides the soap base.

My Gillette Big Fellow came in and I had some concerns at first. All tightened without a blade and there is the tiniest bit of play. After putting a blade in it all was well though. I think this things saw a lot of use and has wear so it may get a re-plate service at some point. I did still have Bill in Oneida's razor with me and did a check to compare things. The alignment nubs on the top plate tat come thru are a slightly different shape but on researching there were slight variances back in those days at Gillette. When I weighed the razor and each part individually and did the same with Bill's it all matched up identically. I was more settled with those findings and after the shave, any lingering concerns were settled. Had the same shave feel as I experienced with Bill's. Glad I found this cased set for $125 which I see as a steal even if I decide to put another $50 in getting it redone in Nickel.

Topped off the shave with Clubman and Pierre Cardin. Ready to tackle......................well I'm at least ready to face another day. Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200604_183947029.jpg

Awesome shave Dave! And even better news on the Big Fellow. Is the Serial Number still there? Are you able to pin down the exact year? Just curious. At $125 I think that was a steal! I see one right now on a popular site for $135, but it has a bent comb, a broken comb, and just generally not as good looking as yours. Some of my shaving gear may come and go...but that Big Fellow of mine ain't going anywhere!

Awesome shave Dave! And even better news on the Big Fellow. Is the Serial Number still there? Are you able to pin down the exact year? Just curious. At $125 I think that was a steal! I see one right now on a popular site for $135, but it has a bent comb, a broken comb, and just generally not as good looking as yours. Some of my shaving gear may come and go...but that Big Fellow of mine ain't going anywhere!
No visible serial number but understand some wear off (Likely with the use this saw) and some may not have had them stamped. There were 4 versions of the Big Fellow and Big Boy. This appears to be in the 2nd version. Yep, it's a keeper and will be used which means it needs a re-plate because I like shiny things............

PS - Actually now looking mine is the Number 1 because it is identical to Bill's in length, weight etc.

Last edited:
Following is info found on the web:

There has always been some confusion about the Gillette vintage Big Boy/Big Fellow line of razors. Here's a brief description of the four different razors and a comparison to other razors in the Gillette line.
1591357348616.png

Nice shave. I've always been weary of the used things that I buy. Looks like you got one heck of a deal. Have a stupid good, hydrated day, Dave!

Back