The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Sounds like a pretty awesome shave Dave! I have King of Oud ready for today. I am pretty excited to try out Wholly Kaw and compare their soap to some of the others in really like. Have a great weekend Dave!

Sounds like a pretty awesome shave Dave! I have King of Oud ready for today. I am pretty excited to try out Wholly Kaw and compare their soap to some of the others in really like. Have a great weekend Dave!
Thanks Pat, you too! I think you'll like it a lot. Great soap base if you can find a scent you like 👍

Wholly Kaw is constantly developing new tallow bases, making improvements in each one as they go. Insofar as I know, King of Oud can be found only in an older iteration. The King of Bourbon that Dave used is in the Bufala base, the second to last base introduced. The newest base is Siero. Siero is stellar and Bufala is excellent too. In fact all their soap bases are all pretty good. The problem I have with WK is that their scents are hit or miss. Just one WK scent makes my top tier list and that is Lav Sublime, also found in an older base. I do like King of Bourbon as well.

Wholly Kaw is constantly developing new tallow bases, making improvements in each one as they go. Insofar as I know, King of Oud can be found only in an older iteration. The King of Bourbon that Dave used is in the Bufala base, the second to last base introduced. The newest base is Siero. Siero is stellar and Bufala is excellent too. In fact all their soap bases are all pretty good. The problem I have with WK is that their scents are hit or miss. Just one WK scent makes my top tier list and that is Lav Sublime, also found in an older base. I do like King of Bourbon as well.
Glenn speaks truth. I do have the Brut clone scent also and enjoy it but scents as he said are hit and miss. Best to try samples as it's on the pricey side to buy a miss.

Glenn speaks truth. I do have the Brut clone scent also and enjoy it but scents as he said are hit and miss. Best to try samples as it's on the pricey side to buy a miss.

Thanks guys and that's why it has taken me so long to try their products. On the other forum I joined when I first started I noticed a lot of people did not like the scents. I bought two samples and so far I am liking both of them just out of their sample tub. King of Oud smells awesome when lathered and Cuero Oscuro will be used a little later in the month! Performance was awesome though and King of Oud has skyrocketed up near the top of my list.

Thanks guys and that's why it has taken me so long to try their products. On the other forum I joined when I first started I noticed a lot of people did not like the scents. I bought two samples and so far I am liking both of them just out of their sample tub. King of Oud smells awesome when lathered and Cuero Oscuro will be used a little later in the month! Performance was awesome though and King of Oud has skyrocketed up near the top of my list.
No one complains about WK performance during or after the shave. Really nice post shave feel on the face. I have both King of Oud and Cuero Oscuro. I like Cuero Oscuro (dark leather) but that scent brings the most complaints. When I reviewed it on a different forum one of the responses was the ralphing emoji. I think that one may be an acquired taste. Here is one reaction: "Cuero Oscuro is as vile a concoction as I have ever seen marketed as a shaving soap scent. Putrid. Can't describe it more than that. Just HATED it with a passion. Never even lathered it up once. " So my wife got a whiff of Cuero Oscuro then asked what the scent was. I told her leather. Not one to miss a shot, she replied, "You got ripped off. It smells like pleather."

Last edited:
"L" is for Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations
Sunday April 12, 2020
2020 Shave # 108 ( 524 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Enders Speed Shaver
Blade: Schick (?)
Brush: Cadre Legacy Brush
Soap: @LNHC Barber Shoppe
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
Aftershave 2: LNHC Barber Shoppe Post Shave Elixir
Fragrance: CFG Ghost Town Barber EdP

Had a nice shave with the Enders Speed Shaver but not dolphin slick the way I like so an evening shave may be in order. The soap from Lisa is AWESOME as usual and the scent is GREAT. A little like GTB but different, especially after lathering. A winner for me for sure. Video uploading. Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200411_162447895.jpg

Nice post Dave! I have the same soap lines up for today's shave. That brush is awesome I like the TSC coin at the bottom of it. Also that razor looks a little similar to the 3-D TNNSER you have. Have a Happy Easter!

Nice post Dave! I have the same soap lines up for today's shave. That brush is awesome I like the TSC coin at the bottom of it. Also that razor looks a little similar to the 3-D TNNSER you have. Have a Happy Easter!
Thanks Pat, I think they took some design features from this when coming up with the TNNSER. Have a great day !

Back