The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2022-2023 Football Season

Now that was an exciting football game to watch - it’s funny - I probably am jinxing them - but the Big 10 Championship Game might be a let down

Had anyone checked in on Don? Him being "dangerous" I'm a little worried about him
Man...Christmas and Toddler kicked my arse yesterday. LSU didn't have to pile on it. I think LSU had a serious case of "looksie headsies." Hats off to A&M for probably playing their best game of the year. You can't go into the final eight minutes of a game and try to make three scores. Can it be done...sure. Should you do it? You should have set it up earlier. I just hope LSU doesn't come out Next Saturday and try to play Georgia like that. I am not expecting a whole lot in the SEC championship game, but if the football gods would like to smile down on me...I just hope it is competitive.

But man...how about some great games this weekend to finish off the regular season!

And did anyone see South Carolina finishing off their season beating two top ten teams in Tennessee and Clemson?

I know @NurseDave doesn't hang around these parts...but Oregon State beating Oregon has to feel good.

Utah throttled Colorado.

And as much as I am not a fan of of either Michigan (though I do hail from that Great Lake State...my dad was more of a Michigan State guy...but they are not my jam either), and I certainly don't much care for the (with a small "t") Ohio State University. That was probably one of the most entertaining games I have seen this years.

Next week is Championship Week and then after that is pretty much a whole month of bowl games. I know there are a lot of people who decry the number of bowl games that we have today...but I like it. It gives me a chance to watch a couple teams go at it that I otherwise would not get to see. Sometimes you get a dud...but other times you just get to see a good football game.

Oh, and anyone else a little surprised that Matt Rhule took the Nebraska Job? I am not going to say surprised, but...Nebraska is a notoriously hard place to recruit. I know they can win there because you know, Dr. Tom Osborne and all (won no less than 9 games a season from 73 to 97). But as of late...it seems that Nebraska has been on some hard times.

I remember when they Hired Fran Solich after Tom Osborne. Solich had a very respectable tenure at Nebraska, but was fired after losing three games in 2003, despite still winning ten games.

Bill Callahan came afterward for four seasons. Only having a winning record for two of them.

Bo Pelini came next for seven seasons and did much better than Callahan, but Pelini couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Mike Riley was at Nebraska only for three seasons.

And then Scott Frost. Scott Frost was supposed to be the prodigal son, come home. Instead, he never had a winning season at Nebraska. Which was a bit of a head scratcher because Frost took UCF to the Peach bowl and an undefeated season in 2017. I guess maybe it stands to reason that big time programs should not hire those who have been head coaches for only two years at smaller programs.

So anyway...back to the original discussion. Matt Rhule. He did great at Temple and then great at Baylor. He will have a lot more support at Nebraska than he did at either of those. But can he recruit there? I guess time will tell.

I am not expecting a whole lot in the SEC championship game
Haven’t I been saying this all season long? I mean if Texas A&M can beat a team that is somehow ranked ahead of the truly unappreciated PSU team and South Carolina barely beat a team in Clemson that has also lost to gasp* Notre Dame (who couldn’t beat a PAC 12 team)….. you see where I’m getting at?

So what should @dangerousdon learned from this weekend……the rankings should be: (1) Michigan, (2) Ohio State, and (3) Penn State (I mean @MarkB Alabama let Auburn put up 27 points on them - which is more than twice what PSU allowed them).

I am here to help - and to teach 😂 Plus I need a win - I mean I lost again at Bingo - Can’t I at least have this one?

1669560763409.gif

Has anyone noticed the trend of players having their pants above their knees - basically wearing long shorts vice using knee pads?
Don't even get me started on this!!!

See what you did!

So at the NFHS level we actually send players off for a play if knee pads are not worn properly.

In college we conference with the coaches and essentially release our liability to the school. BUT guess what it's in the rule book that knee pads must be worn properly. And guess what else... Lower leg injuries have been the #1 injury in collegiate football last 5 years! Don't be surprised if this changes soon.

Don't even get me started on this!!!

See what you did!

So at the NFHS level we actually send players off for a play if knee pads are not worn properly.

In college we conference with the coaches and essentially release our liability to the school. BUT guess what it's in the rule book that knee pads must be worn properly. And guess what else... Lower leg injuries have been the #1 injury in collegiate football last 5 years! Don't be surprised if this changes soon.
I think it’s a trend that started at the pros - and you now have kids wanting to emulate their hero’s - or because they think it’s cool. I just know the pros have a much better medical plan than these kids do…..

Back