The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Your Latest Fragrance Purchase

Bois 1920 - Cannabis Fruttata

Saw this on a steep discount, and always wanted something from the house, so gave it a punt.
After trying Pierre Guillaume's Coze I was very surprised to find I like the cannabis note. It's no more accurate than any other grass note, but and focuses more on the spicy aspect, which actually wears well on cooler days.
This is the most pungent of the lot I have, Coze by comparison, is really just a super chic, cosmopolitan day out fragrance. This however is much more green and aromatic, though it's more of a harder herb and cassis thing to me, with its general aromatic green glow. Dry down, is nice, musky and spicy. The most warm weather variant in my collection, which makes it worthy, and the most Italian. Need to wear it a few more times, but already feel it's growing on me.

DSC01811.jpg

Maria Candia Gentile - Kitrea
This is the spiritual brother to my another favorite from the house Finisterre. Finisterre was a totally unexpected find this year, the rare marine fragrance that I could actually love, due to its overwhelming natural feeling. Ktirea replaces the Fennel note with honey, while retaining that same true aboral feel. It that just seems so natural that it's captivating, and manages to escape all the cliches that the genre is capable of, to just feel fresh, easy wearing, but totally unique scent.

Maria Candida Gentile Kitrea Box.jpgMaria Candida Gentile Kitrea.jpg

Doing some final school shopping for my youngest daughter and happened to walk in to a Marshalls this evening and found this nice little gem. Murdock London Vetiver for a hair under $40US for a 100ml. bottle. Not a bad deal for this vetiver, patchouli & citrus creation. Not a game breaker but, a very well done vetiver scent that has a tinge of a classic touch a la Guerlain Vetiver and Tom Ford Vetiver edt.

CFB65BB0-C31D-4B30-9259-5519C84669AF.jpeg
0C27BBCD-937D-49F8-9DF1-09DCB23A4893.jpeg

Took advantage of the summer end sale over at St. Johns and purchased a couple cologne’s and an after shave splash this week that came in today. Yeah, the summer is almost over but, with a 20% off sale and a first time buyer discount for an additional 15% off, I just couldn’t resist. The Lime smells fantastic and the Vetiver is citrusy yet robust and clean. Excellent as well. It’s going to be in the low to mid 90’s here during this Labor Day weekend on the east coast. I’ll get some nice wearings in.

54BBB34E-8455-4CB1-A332-99C7F88B8CDB.jpeg
1056D5B4-6AAC-4172-A3BE-E1BAA960EE92.jpeg
46628AF7-BB66-4BBA-9182-166BFA0A23F8.jpeg

Mail call from last night and earlier today. The Boucheron is new to me and smells absolutely fantastic. Clean and soapy moss like vibe with a tinge of sweetness. Classic yet modern and all year round worthy. Manly scent, period. Givenchy Pour Homme tester is a back up from a bottle that I have that is nearly gone and the TDH was a must have from a bottle I sampled sometime last year at a local mall. Saw the deal for a tester in each and pulled the trigger. Great masculine scents. Not for kiddies…. ;)

C8791E8E-38B7-4597-A463-CB5FDBC47646.jpeg
E7A99207-2BD2-45D2-B1C6-62FDC3C36B24.jpeg
1D66FDE2-09B5-4151-9001-1C73D7CF47F1.jpeg
7DDEEA1A-90E9-4A52-ADEF-C8F4032169A9.jpeg

A couple of more from Pierre Guillaume.
Pierre has a way of getting me to love notes I previously wasn't too excited about, first it was his magic use of honey, and now it's iris.
I narrowed my last huge batch of samples down to these two for fall, deliberated a bit too long, and when I went to purchase, Cuir d'Iris was out of stock! It's one of the fragrances the house formulates in limited batches, so it could be months before it rolled around again. Thankfully a web search found one place that still had it in stock, and they also had Iris Oriental, on sale at that. Of corse the place has the highest shipping cost of anyplace I know, but with the sale price I still came out ahead, so call it a win.

I'll surely post reviews on each, but they are total bangers for me, Iris Oriental could well become this season's pseudo-signature for me, so easy to wear, unique, classy, but acceptable in any circumstance.

DSC01828.jpg

This has been on my radar for ages, the I saw @MarkB post it, and over the next couple of weeks, other people popped and said how great it is, then Czech and Speake sent me a marketing email saying it was on sale, and I passed, and felt so much regret.

Thankfully they had another sale, and so here we are.

DSC01838.jpg

Last edited:
A trio that came in today. The Tom Ford Extreme for Men is an after shave lotion and the other two are John Varvatos fragrances, the OG John Varvatos & XX Artisan as a ‘20 release. The Tom Ford is a rare item (100ml. is extremely rare) that I happened to get lucky on one of the auction sites and put in for a best offer that was accepted. The JV Original is a scent that was captivitating for me when it was first released in the early 2000’s with a really good leather, amber, green & fresh spicey vibe to it that I had to have again. And for under $30US, it was a no brainer. Surprisingly, the XX Artisan was a big surprise for me. This fragrance is a true hidden gem. It’s an aromatic freshie that has some real depth to it with a semi earthy & musky vibe to it. Almost as if you would take Acqua Di Parma’s Ginepro Di Sardegna and cross it with Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Super classy yet has a modern touch. The kicker is the price as it can be found from online discounters for under $40US. That’s a steal for the quality one is getting. Highly recommend.

1E9AE7CB-D226-4195-8419-162FD3E2580D.jpeg
7162DC7C-A007-4E4C-927E-C9F74EF0EB69.jpeg

A small box of mixed samples finally arrived today. At times parcels can take a looong while to get down here. 😊

MANCERA - Instant Crush
LORENZO VILLORESI - Uomo and Musk
SERGE LUTENS - Ambre Sultan

DSCN1303.JPG

A couple of cheapie’s at my local Marshalls. Can’t tell you how many bottles of Nautical Voyage I’ve gone through over the years but, it simply works as a clean & fresh fragrance anytime of year. And 200ml. for $33 is a no brainer. The Joseph Abboud Mountain was a nice pick up for $15. Nothing spectacular but a nice Grapefruit, Cedar with Sandalwood fragrance that has a sort of Pepper & Amber like touch. Almost YSL L’Homme to be honest Just not as fresh off the top and ozonic.

B567F27B-5B5E-492D-AC44-BDF65F7C31DF.jpeg
2C9FAFC9-64E2-406D-931D-0120111B16E1.jpeg

Maria Candida Gentile - Viridarium
New release from one of my favorite perfumers. Green wonderfulness! It's soapy, and minty to my nose, with a touch of woods in the background.
What I love about Maria's concoctions are that they somehow intermingle the world of classic 70-80's perfumery with the natural world. And here again, there's the real feeling of natural flora, that's sitting harmoniously alongside a classic green soapy fragrance that any of us old enough to, would have enjoyed wearing back in the day. Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing whatsoever dated about this, it's tuned for the present day, but being of that generation, it's the vibe I get from this, and many of my other favorites from her, sans any drug store cheapness, or cloying look at me beastmodeness.

Glad I took the chance on this one, it's another of those wear anytime, anywhere scents that's sure to not ruffle any feathers, while being absolutely unique and worthwhile to wear.
Thanks Maria!

Maria Candida Gentile Viridarium.jpg

Last edited:
Maria Candida Gentile - Viridarium
New release from one of my favorite perfumers. Green wonderfulness! It's soapy, and minty to my nose, with a touch of woods in the background.
What I love about Maria's concoctions are that they somehow intermingle the world of classic 70-80's perfumery with the natural world. And here again, there's the real feeling of natural flora, that's sitting harmoniously alongside a classic green soapy fragrance that any of us old enough to, would have enjoyed wearing back in the day. Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing whatsoever dated about this, it's tuned for the present day, but being of that generation, it's the vibe I get from this, and many of my other favorites from her, sans any drug store cheapness, or cloying look at me beastmodeness.

Glad I took the chance on this one, it's another of those wear anytime, anywhere scents that's sure to not ruffle any feathers, while being absolutely unique and worthwhile to wear.
Thanks Maria!

View attachment 120172
This sounds like right in my wheelhouse

Mail call from an online discount retailer, Jomashop. Purchased these two for a very good price. Boss Bottled Parfum & Lalique Leather Copper from their Les Compositions Perfumees line. Awesome bangers for the upcoming Fall/Winter weather….👌

CEAB7A35-B085-402F-9C05-BD6F5A357AC8.jpeg
A1EBDCB5-E7B2-420C-A57C-C2E2F97452D0.jpeg

Back