The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's blasting in your headphones?

Another great female singer form the 80's....(its a whole theme here people)

Pretenders (there's no THE in their name) are the brainchild of Chrissie Hynde, an Ohio girl that moved to London with dreams of starting her own band. And boy, did she try her hardest to start a band. She was in a band with a member of Devo. She was also in a band with a member of The Clash. And if that's not enough, she nearly got married to two members of The Sex Pistols so she could remain in England.

This song was recorded after the guitarist for Pretenders died of a drug overdose and is dedicated to him. Chrissie is noticeably pregnant during the filming of the video with the daughter she shares with Ray Davies of the Kinks..........who I once ignored backstage when he was asking me for something in a very incoherent, slightly drunk, incredibly british accent.

I've always liked Chrissie's voice but over the years, I've come to appreciate it more for her range and vibrato.

@dangerousdon has me in a Siouxsie & The Banshees mood now! All from Tinderbox, my fave S&TB album.

There can never be too much Siouxsie and the Banshees!
Another great female singer form the 80's....(its a whole theme here people)

Pretenders (there's no THE in their name) are the brainchild of Chrissie Hynde, an Ohio girl that moved to London with dreams of starting her own band. And boy, did she try her hardest to start a band. She was in a band with a member of Devo. She was also in a band with a member of The Clash. And if that's not enough, she nearly got married to two members of The Sex Pistols so she could remain in England.

This song was recorded after the guitarist for Pretenders died of a drug overdose and is dedicated to him. Chrissie is noticeably pregnant during the filming of the video with the daughter she shares with Ray Davies of the Kinks..........who I once ignored backstage when he was asking me for something in a very incoherent, slightly drunk, incredibly british accent.

I've always liked Chrissie's voice but over the years, I've come to appreciate it more for her range and vibrato.

Chrissie Hynde is one of the most brilliant minds in music! She has influenced so many artists!

If we are talking about great female influencers of the 80s...I would like to submit Kim Deal (from the Pixies, Breeders, and an infinite number of side projects). More of the late 80s, Kim Deal was and is highly influential and I think here work with the Pixies falls in line with those already mentioned above! Love this song...

I was totally into Liz Phair in the early 90s. I mean how couldn't you be? Sexy rocker of the 90s when I was in my prime. Oh yeah!

Oh yeah...if we are going to talk about women artists of the 90s...I am throwing Tanya Donelly out there. Co founder of Throwing Muses and the Breeders...went on to found the group Belly. I won't say she was underrated...but definitely deserved more credit than was given here.

Oh yeah...if we are going to talk about women artists of the 90s...I am throwing Tanya Donelly out there. Co founder of Throwing Muses and the Breeders...went on to found the group Belly. I won't say she was underrated...but definitely deserved more credit than was given here.

How could I have forgotten Belly, The Breeders, and Throwing Muses?!?!

Today's pick is from the band Bananarama.

Looking back on the previous 80's ladies entries its easy to see that I had many musical crushes.....this band would be no exception. Kathy Valentine, Susanna Hoffs, Pat Benetar, and in this case, Keren Woodward.....all dark haired beauties (the fact that I married a blonde is perplexing, to say the least). But I'm not superficial (he said hoping it would sound genuine) all of these ladies are talented and not just eye candy. The ladies from Bananarama are Guinness World record holders with the most UK top 50 songs by an all-female group. Plus....they can really sing.

The song Venus is a cover of the 1970 Shocking Blue smash hit which was a top 10 hit in every country (most places it reached #1). So it was no surprise when Bananarama's version also went top 10 in nearly every country (again, most places it was #1). The ladies had been performing the song live for sometime but wanted to turn it into a dance track. Turned out to be a chart topping idea.

I hadn't gotten to her yet......Now you ruined my list.
There , I deleted it so you can have your order back.... Now remove where you have me quoted in your other message and it will be like it never happened...

Last edited:
Back